ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca by SKB
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking for a 20 gauge SXS to use for a dozen rounds of trap a year and some grouse and pheasant hunting. I have never had a side by side before, have shot a Savage fox 12 gauge and liked it. I found a Ithaca by SKB model 100 that is in 95% condition. Are the SKB's good solid guns? What can you tell me about them.

Post subject: Re: Ithaca by SKB
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:40 am 
Presentation Grade

SKB made in Japan are good solid guns have no fear on that part, whether it fits you or not is another question. I have no idea on parts availability should the need arise.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:48 am 
Tournament Grade

I have an Ithica / SKB O/U that was my Grandfathers. It's a solid gun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:11 am 
Crown Grade

The Japanese SKBs are solid, quality guns. My 500 O/U I bought in ‘74 has been well used and still functions like the day I bought it. If the gun’s in good shape and it fits, I wouldn’t hesitate. My understanding is that SKB in Nebraska has parts and will service these older guns.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SKB doubles have single triggers, if that matters to you.

Otherwise, they're nice guns. Certainly one of the top contenders in the $1,000-or less used range.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

There are those that consider them ( the Japanese O/U`s ) comparable in build and functionality to the Citori. At least that`s what I`ve read. Would not know from personal experience since I`m not familiar with the Browning Citori.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Previously owned an Ithaca-SKB 200E SxS and presently own a 600 O/U. Both were/are solid well made guns. Like Tidefanatic pointed out, service and parts are still available from SKB Shotguns in Omaha. I'd have no reservations about buying a nice 20ga model 100, if a nice one was available at a decent price.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:01 am 
Crown Grade

My Ithaca SKB 100 is a great gun, but is the lightest 20 ga SXS I own at 5 pounds 14 oz. It has been my favorite Mearnes quail gun by far, but for a dedicated clay target gun, you might be better off with something like a Browning BSS 20 ga, or my personal favorite, the CZ Ringneck 20 ga. both guns weigh a little north of 6 1/2 pounds, and with 28" barrels swing fairly well on the targets. I'm not saying you can't break clay targets with the SKB 100, but most shooters like a heavier gun for skeet shooting. My dedicated skeet gun is a Browning Citori 525 with a Precision Fit Stock and Kolar sub-gauge tube set. I use the 20 ga tubes for skeet, shooting 7/8 oz #9 shot handloads in that 9+ pound gun and can shoot all day without getting the "yips" from recoil.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BC45 wrote:
I am looking for a 20 gauge SXS to use for a dozen rounds of trap a year and some grouse and pheasant hunting. I have never had a side by side before, have shot a Savage fox 12 gauge and liked it. I found a Ithaca by SKB model 100 that is in 95% condition. Are the SKB's good solid guns? What can you tell me about them.

The SKB side by side was one of three modern Japanese side by sides, the other two being the Nikko (Winchester Model 23) and Miroku (Browning BSS)

The SKB guns were made until only a decade or so ago and Guns Unlimited has a huge cache of spare parts.

http://www.gunsunlimitedomaha.com/

I’ve owned a few and may own more.

The earlier grades go from Model 100, 200, and top of the line 280. Later when choke tubes were incorporated they called the gun a 385.

The guns had no real faults and the only negative I can think of is they used more modern roll pins and stampings inside than the other two they competed with.

They also were the cheapest when new of the three, in the Model 100 base models.

Unlike the classic old American doubles the guns are as reliable as any modern side by side, which is to say nearly bulletproof, except occasional doubling.

Double triggers are your friend, then non selective single triggers, and finally selective single triggers. More parts means more chance of doubling.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info, sounds like it will be a contender depending on what the price ends up being.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many years ago a friend's wife asked my help in getting him a new SxS, mainly for duck hunting. She got him an SKB 200. Nice gun; he loved it and shot it well. He took good care of his equipment.
After less than a full season shooting everything 2-3/4" LEAD from 1-1/4 oz to 1-1/2 oz baby magnums you could hold it in one hand and shake it and hear it rattle. Sent it back to SKB and they replaced it. Replacement gun did the same thing. They offered him another gun and now gun shy (pun intended) he opted for a 20 gauge. He died a couple of months ago and as far as I know he still had that 20 and never a problem.
In over 40 years those two SKBs are the ONLY two I ever heard of issues with. I had a 280 E in 20 gauge for awhile and had to slim down and refinish that huge beavertail fore end, but it was a lovely little piece I enjoyed very much.
I did know a couple of other guys who shot heavy loads regularly - one even had steel compatible choke tubes added - with SKBs and they were surprised at those two guns also.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 12ga 200E was on the light side, not over 7 lbs. and maybe a little less. It kicked pretty hard with 1¼ oz. loads and would've been a real shoulder buster with baby mags.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:48 am 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
My 12ga 200E was on the light side, not over 7 lbs. and maybe a little less. It kicked pretty hard with 1¼ oz. loads and would've been a real shoulder buster with baby mags.

Recoil is about the only complaint I`ve ever heard concerning the SKB`s. Never shot anything over dove and quail loads in my 500, so it was never an issue. To this day, even though I need no more guns when considering my age and shooting needs, if somebody waved an in good shape, 20 gauge, 26 or 28" Japanese SKB O/U bored Mod/IC in my face.......Oh man!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

Great field gun, not so good on the trap field. It is a very light whippy gun. Worth about $950 at 95%. 20 gauge guns value 20% more than 12 gauge.

Last edited by lt0026 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:24 am 
Diamond Grade

SKB Model 100 in 20 gauge was their lightest 20 gauge Upland gun. A good choice, if light is high on your list. A gun to carry lots, and shoot a little.
SKB SxS shotguns are known for cracking at the head of the stock, due to the scalloped frame. Glass bedding the head of the stock is good insurance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Gunsunlimited is no longer the source for SKB parts.

It is now https://www.skbshotguns.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

They were a pretty good gun, but good luck if you ever need parts. It probably makes more sense to pass on it, and use an auto or pump.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

JoeCool wrote:
They were a pretty good gun, but good luck if you ever need parts. It probably makes more sense to pass on it, and use an auto or pump.

Don't think parts would be a problem.
https://www.skbshotguns.com/parts-tools ... 8-ga-parts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:51 am 
Diamond Grade

The Japanese SKBs were across the board great, but no one should expect the part supply to last forever.

I used one of their 20 ga O/Us just yesterday, and will sob like like a baby denied sweet cornbread if it ever goes to No Parts Left Heaven.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lots of parts become unavailable pretty quickly. Some Browning Gold parts are already unobtainable.