ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: which semiauto is best for competition?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:49 am 
Limited Edition

Tidefanatic wrote:
lettman wrote:
casonet wrote:
Market penetration is what it is. However, that never distracted me from buying a gun that I wanted regardless of how obscure and unavailable it might be.

If you can't find one to see how it fits you or to see how it balances in your hands then why would you think anyone would want to buy it sight unseen?

Some people are fortunate enough to be of physical dimensions to where the majority of guns will fit them " off the rack ". I know the measurables of the guns I own and that fit me. I know that guns with the same or very near the same measurables will fit. Most recently, my 870, L4S and Remington V3 were purchased on line, sight unseen. All three fit me to a T.

You are a lucky shooter none of those three come close to fitting me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

Perazziforever wrote:
Thanks everyone. Dropped by local gun store yesterday to check out the Beretta A400. No doubt a great shooting gun but couldn’t get past the flimsy recoil spring plastic sleeve (must be a pain to replace recoil springs). Can’t believe they used the same plastic sleeve in the Multitarget, a $2800 gun. Picked up a used Beretta 390 sporting instead.

Great choice. Among the many quality autoloaders available, there is little or nothing to be found lacking in a 390 Sporter. I'm betting she will like it.

Do you reload? My 390 was dead nuts reliable with 3/4 and 7/8 oz. loads. That should help with the recoil sensitivity issue.

Many very good endorsements here. Ultimately, fit and feel will determine how it works out for her. I've owned 391 and 390, and have shot other Berettas and various other brands plenty. I may pick up an autoloader as a loaner/back up to my O/U target gun myself. I'd be quite happy with another 390 as well as any of the specimens mentioned in this discussion.

If I do decide on an autoloader, I'm definitely going to handle and take a hard look at Fabarm.

Just thinking, I wonder how the trusty 390 weighs, handles and hefts compared to the lightweight versions of Fabarm. I've yet to handle any Fabarms in person. Obviously you have decided the 390 is not too heavy for her.

Good luck and let us know how she likes it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I guess that I am the "odd guy out", but whats wrong with a Remington 1100 for competition ?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:11 pm 
Limited Edition

The factory FABARM chokes are exceptional. I’m getting true to marked choke pattern densities at 1,300+ FPS in my Elos D2. And unlike the 12 Browning DS chokes in my 725...the
Mod and IM marked chokes actually throw Skeet and LM patterns. As good as the Brileys in my two Red Labels. I’ve shot a left handed H368 for 15 years, essentially the same action as the current FABARM guns. Replaced one O ring in 10,000 rounds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would have a whole safe full of Fabarms over unders except they are not available in 20,28,and .410. I have their 12ga Elos o/u and a XLR5 semi auto in 12ga. I had to go with Browning for the sub gauges.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:47 am 
Diamond Grade

johnnie g wrote:
I guess that I am the "odd guy out", but whats wrong with a Remington 1100 for competition ?

Not a thing. I’ll pick up my skeet B occasionally and shoot it well. I’ll take one of my Browning Golds ( 12 or 20 ) and go shoot most other games and not feel at any disadvantage. Go with a dependable gun that you shoot well !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:07 am 
Field Grade

In 12 ga., Remington 1100 gets my vote. The Gun just fits!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:24 am 
Presentation Grade

Steelie68 wrote:

Mine, too. For a short time I owned a 1100 Competition. It was everything I wanted a target auto to be. As soon as I shot it, however, I knew I wouldn't use it much, as it required me to chase the empties. A fellow club member wanted one and I knew he would shoot it, so I sold him mine. Somehow, that gun acquired the name "Buford" and we notice that Buford slows down after a couple hundred rounds have been shot. Other than that foible, it's great.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
Steelie68 wrote:

Mine, too. For a short time I owned a 1100 Competition. It was everything I wanted a target auto to be. As soon as I shot it, however, I knew I wouldn't use it much, as it required me to chase the empties. A fellow club member wanted one and I knew he would shoot it, so I sold him mine. Somehow, that gun acquired the name "Buford" and we notice that Buford slows down after a couple hundred rounds have been shot. Other than that foible, it's great.

So do I! :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:57 am 
Presentation Grade

johnnie g wrote:

Not a thing. Even at MSRP, it's the best deal around for a competition semi-auto. The only problem I see is finding one these days.