Shotgunworld.com
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/

Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U
https://www.shotgunworld.com:443/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=527896
Page 2 of 2

Author:  lettman [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

Perdiz wrote:
I have a 686 20gauge Sporting with 30" barrels and an adjustable comb. I also have a set of 28-gauge 30" barrels for it. Really like it - both sets of barrels weigh in at 7 lbs + 1 or 2 oz. Due to the relatively light weight I shoot it best with the gun just out of my shoulder to keep from stopping my swing.

Lettman, I'm pretty sure the Field version is at least 1/2-lb lighter.


Below are the specifications for the field version and the sporting version for both shotguns. I do not see any difference in weight, comb, heel etc. Also, I have the sporting version of this shotgun in 12 gauge and there in no right hand palm swell. I keep hearing about palm swell on the Silver Pigeon I and I have yet to see it. I had a Browning 525 that had palm swell and the Beretta does not have it.

Specifications

Action:Break
Gauge:20ga
Max Shell Length:3"
Weight:approx. 6.8lbs
Barrel Length:30"
Trigger:Single Selective
Choke:Optima Choke-HP
Type of Sights:Metal Bead
Stock:Oiled Select Checked Walnut w/ floral engraving of grapes on the vine
Caliber or Gauge:20ga
HandednessRight Hand
Drop at Heel:2.26"
Drop at Comb:1.43"
Product TypeShotguns
Item ConditionNew
UPC082442915074
MPNJ686FK0

Specifications

Action:Break
Gauge:20ga
Max Shell Length:3"
Weight:6.8lbs
Barrel Length:30"
Trigger:Single Selective
Choke:Optima Choke-HP
Type of Sights:Metal Bead
Stock:Oiled Select Checked Walnut w/ floral engraving of grapes on the vine
Caliber or Gauge:20ga
HandednessRight Hand
Drop at Heel:2.26"
Drop at Comb:1.43"
Product TypeShotguns
Item ConditionNew
UPC082442915241
MPNJ686SK0

Author:  challer [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

The 68X are awesome. Sold mine for Zoli, which just feel better to me.

Author:  birdhunter39 [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

686 sporting and field models are indeed different. Wider rib and palm swell are the obvious differences. My 28ga sporter was 7lbs. The 20ga I have now is around 4oz lighter.

Author:  lettman [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

birdhunter39 wrote:
686 sporting and field models are indeed different. Wider rib and palm swell are the obvious differences. My 28ga sporter was 7lbs. The 20ga I have now is around 4oz lighter.


Can you provide the specifications from Beretta where these shotguns are different?

Author:  Safetyfast [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

lettman wrote:
birdhunter39 wrote:
686 sporting and field models are indeed different. Wider rib and palm swell are the obvious differences. My 28ga sporter was 7lbs. The 20ga I have now is around 4oz lighter.


Can you provide the specifications from Beretta where these shotguns are different?
I own both and the grip on the sporter also has a tighter radius. The comb is a bit broader on the sporting also.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Author:  Kay_B [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

lettman wrote:
Perdiz wrote:
I have a 686 20gauge Sporting with 30" barrels and an adjustable comb. I also have a set of 28-gauge 30" barrels for it. Really like it - both sets of barrels weigh in at 7 lbs + 1 or 2 oz. Due to the relatively light weight I shoot it best with the gun just out of my shoulder to keep from stopping my swing.

Lettman, I'm pretty sure the Field version is at least 1/2-lb lighter.


Below are the specifications for the field version and the sporting version for both shotguns. I do not see any difference in weight, comb, heel etc. Also, I have the sporting version of this shotgun in 12 gauge and there in no right hand palm swell. I keep hearing about palm swell on the Silver Pigeon I and I have yet to see it. I had a Browning 525 that had palm swell and the Beretta does not have it.

Specifications

Action:Break
Gauge:20ga
Max Shell Length:3"
Weight:approx. 6.8lbs
Barrel Length:30"
Trigger:Single Selective
Choke:Optima Choke-HP
Type of Sights:Metal Bead
Stock:Oiled Select Checked Walnut w/ floral engraving of grapes on the vine
Caliber or Gauge:20ga
HandednessRight Hand
Drop at Heel:2.26"
Drop at Comb:1.43"
Product TypeShotguns
Item ConditionNew
UPC082442915074
MPNJ686FK0

Specifications

Action:Break
Gauge:20ga
Max Shell Length:3"
Weight:6.8lbs
Barrel Length:30"
Trigger:Single Selective
Choke:Optima Choke-HP
Type of Sights:Metal Bead
Stock:Oiled Select Checked Walnut w/ floral engraving of grapes on the vine
Caliber or Gauge:20ga
HandednessRight Hand
Drop at Heel:2.26"
Drop at Comb:1.43"
Product TypeShotguns
Item ConditionNew
UPC082442915241
MPNJ686SK0


The characteristics are essentially the same, although there may be a slightly different shape, which determines the differences in usability. Although here you’ll get your hands on it.

Author:  lettman [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

Safetyfast wrote:
lettman wrote:
birdhunter39 wrote:
686 sporting and field models are indeed different. Wider rib and palm swell are the obvious differences. My 28ga sporter was 7lbs. The 20ga I have now is around 4oz lighter.


Can you provide the specifications from Beretta where these shotguns are different?
I own both and the grip on the sporter also has a tighter radius. The comb is a bit broader on the sporting also.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I provided the specifications of the current shotguns for field and sporting from the manufacturer. Not sure what else I can say beyond go look at them both and compare for yourself.

Author:  birdhunter39 [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

And others including myself have provided information from actual ownership of the guns in question.

Author:  lettman [ Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

I think there are different versions of these guns out there. If you get it from Cole's you get one thing but if you buy from someone else you might get something entirely different. So, I guess it's buyer beware! For me the field version is great I don't have any issues with it and I can hit them on the clays course with no problem.

Author:  KenG [ Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

I can't speak to "best", but I'm pretty excited to try out my new Etchen Signature Sporting 687 20 gauge with 30" barrels!

Author:  Dmc57 [ Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

KenG wrote:
I can't speak to "best", but I'm pretty excited to try out my new Etchen Signature Sporting 687 20 gauge with 30" barrels!


Very nice!

I’m trying to decide which way to go. I’m to far away to look at one in person, and there are no sporting models around for me to look at. On their web page it looks like I would have to buy a combo, 20/28, or 28/410. It’s a lot of money for me to buy sight unseen, and I can’t decide which one to go with.

I talked with Coles that does have a store within driving distance. They will have their version, the Coles special in 20/28, in June or July. No 28/410.

I don’t know if I can wait that long.

Author:  KenG [ Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Best 20 Gauge Skeet/Sporting O/U

Dmc57 wrote:
KenG wrote:
I can't speak to "best", but I'm pretty excited to try out my new Etchen Signature Sporting 687 20 gauge with 30" barrels!


Very nice!

I’m trying to decide which way to go. I’m to far away to look at one in person, and there are no sporting models around for me to look at. On their web page it looks like I would have to buy a combo, 20/28, or 28/410. It’s a lot of money for me to buy sight unseen, and I can’t decide which one to go with.

I talked with Coles that does have a store within driving distance. They will have their version, the Coles special in 20/28, in June or July. No 28/410.

I don’t know if I can wait that long.


Call Joel Etchen Guns and ask if they'll split a combo for you. They did for me (I already have a 28 so I just asked for the 20 gauge barrels), which saved me a considerable amount of money. They have a bunch of them in stock and you get to choose the exact one you want from those they have pictured. They'll also send additional pictures to help in making your decision. I can't say enough about how great of service they provided to me in my several weeks of back-and-forth on different guns, etc.. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/