ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Affinity?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:47 pm 
Utility Grade

How are the Affinity’s looking in today’s market? I have my eyes set on the 12 GA synthetic 28” barreled version. Looking for a reliable SA for hunting/fun (clays/skeet), and have had eyes on this Franchi for quite a while. I’ve held quite a few at different stores, and it handled/fit better then the A300 and others in the same range. Just wondering if the age-old inertia vs gas debate.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Affinity?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

The American Rifleman liked it:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... -3-shotgun

The gun design is about the same as a Benelli M2, many interchangeable parts.
Same can be said for Stoeger M3000.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:07 pm 
Field Grade

I like mine a lot. The dove don't.

Winchester Model 12 (100+ years old)
And my trusty 870 Express :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:17 pm 
Field Grade

I have the Intensity (same gun with a 3.5” chamber) and it’s been a great reliable hunting and trap gun. During the first 500 rounds or so it had trouble cycling light loads. Then I broke the carrier latch because I ghost loaded the gun (totally my fault- I should not have done it). Once I replaced the carrier latch, everything from the lightest 2&3/4” to heavy 3.5” loads cycle perfectly every time after over a thousand loads of varied sizes.

Great light trigger for hunting. It’s lighter and easier to carry while hunting than my 870s and my Benelli Supernova. The gun is an absolute tank that has been thoroughly abused over the past six hunting seasons being used at least 15 times per year: dropped on boulders when I fell, dropped in the mud/water, got super dirty multiple times on windy/dusty dove and quail hunts. With minimal cleaning it keeps kicking butt and blasting birds.

If you hunt in wet conditions (particularly waterfowl hunting), buy one of the options that is coated in a camo based finish. Mine has the Mossy Oak Bottomland finish and it’s been a great preventative coat for rust.

Being and 3.5” auto loader, the action is a bit longer than most of my other guns. I point this out because my only regret in buying the gun is that it has a 28 inch barrel, and I would’ve preferred a 26” in retrospect. However, this does not mean that I think the gun is front heavy. I think Gun is extremely well balanced, especially seeing as how I’m shooting a 28 inch barreled, gun and I’m only 5’7”. The longer barrel is great for pass shooting, but I find it harder to hit birds inside 20 yards than I do with my shorter action/barreled guns.

It’s a good gun for trap, but I came to actually appreciate a heavier gun for trap and lean more towards my 870s and Supernova for clays on the 16 yard line.

Hope this info helps inform your future purchase.

Best,
rich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:02 am 
Crown Grade

JoeCool wrote:

The American Rifleman likes everything. They aren’t objective. Terrible source for reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:40 am 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
JoeCool wrote:

The American Rifleman likes everything. They aren’t objective. Terrible source for reviews.

P.S. That’s not a knock on the Affinity. I hate Franchi over/unders and I would rather have a gas gun, but the Affinity seems to be a decent gun in its price range.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:45 am 
Tournament Grade

Really enjoyed my 3" Affinity. Only traded it because I didn't need it for hunting anymore. It broke clays fine and 100+ sporting rounds left my shoulder happy. Just went with a more suited clays gun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:45 am 
Field Grade

My son bought a used Intensity about 3 months ago. He's used it on a high-volume quail hunt, as well as 8-10 rounds of trap. So far, not a single hiccup with anything he's tried, including some 1 oz. loads. It's light and points well. I've tried shooting a few clays with it, and I really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:46 pm 
Field Grade

Great gun and now they have fancier versions like the Elite

SBEIII, Left-handed
Franchi Instinct L
SBEII Max 5, Left-Hand
Super Nova
Super Nova Tactical
Canon 5D Mk IV
Canon 7D Mk II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 am 
Field Grade

So my wife, our hunting partner and myself all shoot Benelli's. Our hunting partner found a deal on a 20ga Affinity one day and jumped on it. My takeaway is they're a slightly less refined Benelli and there is nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Having owned 4 A400s Excels and Actions in 12 and 20 ga with and without kick off I picked up a Franchi Affinity Select on a whim. Liked the gun so much I bought an Affinity 3 Sporting. I found the recoil between the two negligible and the Franchi' s balanced nicely and I shot them well. Don't get me wrong the Berettas are nice guns but the Franchi's are easier to clean and only need cleaning about half as often. So for a lazy fat guy the choice was easy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

Very helpful and informative reply fatguy. Great photos too.

What are the lightest loads your Affinities will cycle reliably with?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
Very helpful and informative reply fatguy. Great photos too.

What are the lightest loads your Affinities will cycle reliably with?

As far as the sporting I've shot AA 1180 1 oz but usually run 1 1/8 oz 1235 nitros or 1200 1 1/8 oz gun clubs all 7.5. The Select is a bird gun that see's 1200 7/8 oz Gun Clubs 7.5 for doves or the occasional 3" 1 1/4 oz 1300 Prairie Storm 4s for pheasants. Probably put 700 to 1000 rounds through each gun since I've owned them without a single FTF or FTE. The 20 ga was a little stiff loading at first but seems to have loosed up some.