ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 vs XLR5
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:22 am 
Field Grade

I know this has been covered before, but figure it can't hurt to ask again.

Between the A400 and the XLR5, which would you choose and why?

Main use would be for a backup / loaner sporting clays gun.

My LGS that I lend a hand from time to time, has a nice used A400 Xcel they'll cut me a deal on. It seems to fit perfectly, but IDK if I can get past the safety placement.

There are a few used XLR5s (LR and FRs) out there and they're only a few hundred more than that A400. Only problem, no one has one in stock for me to shoulder.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: A400 vs XLR5
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

Novak77 wrote:

My LGS that I lend a hand from time to time, has a nice used A400 Xcel they'll cut me a deal on. It seems to fit perfectly, but IDK if I can get past the safety placement.

There are a few used XLR5s (LR and FRs) out there and they're only a few hundred more than that A400. Only problem, no one has one in stock for me to shoulder.

Cheers

There is no need to put the safety on for targets. If you must put the safety on every time, You get used to the safety up front.
You said for a backup or loaner, so maybe won’t shoot it much?
Beretta fits you, then buy it!
I’ve had several Fabarm SAs, Beretta with KO had less felt recoil and I shot them better

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:33 am 
Crown Grade

Novak77 wrote:

Cheers

That ( in bold ) is an illustration, IMHO, of why Fabarm does not, and probably never will, have the market penetration approaching Beretta`s. My experience with Fabarm guns is limited to the L4S Initial Hunter. It is a fine quality, well made field gun that has functioned in an excellent manner for me. Based on that experience, comments on SW, and reviews, I would not hesitate to purchase an XLR5. I do have experience with Fabarm/CG after sale customer service and they were/are excellent. I have no experience with Beretta`s customer service and will leave that to others for comment. I`m sure the A400 is a fine gun, but no experience with it.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Novak77 wrote:

Cheers

That ( in bold ) is an illustration, IMHO, of why Fabarm does not, and probably never will, have the market penetration approaching Beretta`s. My experience with Fabarm guns is limited to the L4S Initial Hunter. It is a fine quality, well made field gun that has functioned in an excellent manner for me. Based on that experience, comments on SW, and reviews, I would not hesitate to purchase an XLR5. I do have experience with Fabarm/CG after sale customer service and they were/are excellent. I have no experience with Beretta`s customer service and will leave that to others for comment. I`m sure the A400 is a fine gun, but no experience with it.

For Beretta service, always use Coles gunsmithing!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:03 pm 
Field Grade

Tidefanatic wrote:
Novak77 wrote:

Cheers

For reals tho. We got my wife a Syren L4S, but one of the places we have a bird card at and shoot clays at, had one in stock for her to play with. Unfortunately they seem to be out of every other Fabarm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:08 pm 
Field Grade

Dr Duk wrote:

There is no need to put the safety on for targets. If you must put the safety on every time, You get used to the safety up front.
You said for a backup or loaner, so maybe won’t shoot it much?
Beretta fits you, then buy it!
I’ve had several Fabarm SAs, Beretta with KO had less felt recoil and I shot them better

So on the safety thing, I've noticed myself leaving my safety off a bunch when I hunt, which I think isn't the best idea. I figure if I keep using it on the clays course, it will keep me in rhythm for hunting.

Don't really anticipate myself shooting it very much, but you never know lol.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m curious, why would you want to spend that much on a backup/loaner gun? You haven’t mentioned what you shoot clays with, but if you’re willing to purchase an A400 or a XLR5 as a backup gun, I’d like to know what it is.

Any gas gun you get will have very little felt recoil with light target loads. There are less expensive options for a backup/ loaner sporting clays gun that will serve you just as well. There’s the A300 sporting for example. If money is no object, then I doubt you can go wrong with either of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:34 am 
Field Grade

SHughes wrote:
I’m curious, why would you want to spend that much on a backup/loaner gun? You haven’t mentioned what you shoot clays with, but if you’re willing to purchase an A400 or a XLR5 as a backup gun, I’d like to know what it is.

Any gas gun you get will have very little felt recoil with light target loads. There are less expensive options for a backup/ loaner sporting clays gun that will serve you just as well. There’s the A300 sporting for example. If money is no object, then I doubt you can go wrong with either of them.

I've been shooting since I could pee standing up and I know if I don't get an A400 or XLR5 now, I will just wind up getting one later lol.

Been using my Blaser F16 Field (not the best for clays lol), but just recently acquired a Zoli Kronos.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Novak77 wrote:
SHughes wrote:

I've been shooting since I could pee standing up and I know if I don't get an A400 or XLR5 now, I will just wind up getting one later lol.

Been using my Blaser F16 Field (not the best for clays lol), but just recently acquired a Zoli Kronos.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm 
Field Grade

Went down to the shop today to pick up something and couldn't stop playing with that A400. Long story short, I now have a new to me A400 lol.

Thanks for the advise / help.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

The A400 is a great shotgun. The only gun I’ve ever put rounds down range with that’s nearly as soft shooting as my Versa Max. I really like several of the features offered on it. I have only shouldered an XLR5. Never shot one. They have a reputation as a soft shooter too. I’d like to fire some rounds through one someday, but it would be tough to beat an A400.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:13 pm 
Field Grade

SHughes wrote:
The A400 is a great shotgun. The only gun I’ve ever put rounds down range with that’s nearly as soft shooting as my Versa Max. I really like several of the features offered on it. I have only shouldered an XLR5. Never shot one. They have a reputation as a soft shooter too. I’d like to fire some rounds through one someday, but it would be tough to beat an A400.

It super helped that they took my Tikka CTR that was collecting dust as a straight across trade :D

Only thing I think I am gonna do, is cerakote the receiver while its sitting in CA 10 day jail.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:55 am 
Tournament Grade

Novak77 wrote:
SHughes wrote:

It super helped that they took my Tikka CTR that was collecting dust as a straight across trade :D

Only thing I think I am gonna do, is cerakote the receiver while its sitting in CA 10 day jail.

Great idea. I did the same thing to my Versa Max Sportsman after I bought it. It’s my duck/goose gun though. I knew I wouldn’t be able to prevent it from rusting if I didn’t do something. It cost me about $100 more to cerakote and dip it than it would have to just dip the whole thing, but I like how it turned out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:58 pm 
Field Grade

SHughes wrote:
Novak77 wrote:
SHughes wrote:

Great idea. I did the same thing to my Versa Max Sportsman after I bought it. It’s my duck/goose gun though. I knew I wouldn’t be able to prevent it from rusting if I didn’t do something. It cost me about $100 more to cerakote and dip it than it would have to just dip the whole thing, but I like how it turned out.

Looks great.

We are actually going to cerakote my wife's M2 at the same time, for the same reason as you. We hunt salt water and it is damn hard on black guns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Novak77 wrote:
SHughes wrote:
Novak77 wrote:
SHughes wrote:

Looks great.

We are actually going to cerakote my wife's M2 at the same time, for the same reason as you. We hunt salt water and it is damn hard on black guns.

I’m glad I got mine cerakoted when I did. It snowed 10” here and I’ve spent the last several days creeping up on snow geese. My vm has been drug around in the snow and single digit temps for the last several days. Lol