ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun consignment. What to expect from a dealer.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 am 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a used Perazzi MXS from Cole Fine Guns in FL. It was a consignment gun. The description of the gun stated that it had minor handling marks but otherwise was in great shape. I was told I had a 3 day look period at my FFL to check it out before taking possession. When the gun came it was dirty. Barrels, bridge face all dirty. I assumed they must have let some customers try it out and forgot to clean it but I was excited, it fit pretty well so I took possession. When I got it home and cleaned it I found the top barrel had pitting in it which I could not see because it was dirty. I felt more comfort in buying this used gun because it was from Cole (a reputable dealer) but now I am upset with the transaction because I did not know there was pitting in the top barrel. Bumps and scratches are one thing but barrel pitting is another. My questions are: do you think Cole should have cleaned the gun? Am I justified in being upset with this transaction? Are consigned Guns and dealer owned used guns treated differently? I have emailed Cole Guns once I found the pitting and I am awaiting their response.

Post subject: Re: Gun consignment. What to expect from a dealer.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:21 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Vandyajk wrote:
I have emailed Cole Guns once I found the pitting and I am awaiting their response.

Before you waste any more of your time with idle speculation, you might want to allow Cole to respond.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:02 am 
Crown Grade

If it was dirty and pitted, why did you take possession? I would call them and ask for a return label and a refund since the gun was not as advertised.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:33 am 
Utility Grade

Randy, I am not speculating on anything, I am just trying to understand the process. Are owned vs consigned guns treated differently, is it reasonable
to expect guns be sent clean so they can be properly inspected. Maybe Cole did everything right??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Coles has a very good reputation. I’d advise waiting until you talk with them before getting too upset. Always disappointing if a gun turns out to be less than expected, but that’s why it’s good to deal with reputable companies like Cole’s.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yeah, the pitting isn't cool, but if they paid for shipping and honed the barrel to clear that up, I'd be okay with it.

Last edited by mpolans on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Vandyajk wrote:
Randy, I am not speculating on anything, I am just trying to understand the process. Are owned vs consigned guns treated differently, is it reasonable
to expect guns be sent clean so they can be properly inspected. Maybe Cole did everything right??

Most of the new in the box firearms I've ever tested have been dirty. That's a good thing-- guns get dirty when they are proof-fired and function-fired. No dealer I know of could possibly clean and inspect every firearm they sell without radically adding staff and raising prices. You might not want the storeroom guy at BassPro fussing with your new gun at all.

I have no idea what internal processes and standard procedures Cole Guns in Florida has with used guns. Cole surely does, though, and they will be happy to discuss anything you wish with you when they are open for business. Rich Cole and his several locations have earned an excellent reputation over the years. A quick phone call to Coles when they open up will clear things up for you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why did it take you three days to clean it ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:28 pm 
Field Grade

I have purchased many guns online from individuals and dealers, mostly classic American 22 pistols and high end shotguns. Almost without fail, they arrived needing to be cleaned. I'm a big fan of Cole's but I do feel that a dealer bears some responsibility to represent a gun accurately. It doesn't require a great deal of effort to wipe down and run a bore snake through an O/U to assess condition prior to advertising it for sale. An internet purchase of a nice gun like that based on pictures and someone's subjective description is a true leap of faith by the purchaser and Seller's should respect that by providing accurate descriptions even if they need to spend 10 minutes cleaning it up a bit to determine deficiencies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:53 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I'll call shenanigans on this one.

Cole's website says the following:

Quote:
We are happy to offer a three day inspection period on all pre-owned guns. If you are not 100% satisfied with the condition of your firearm, you have 3 days from the date your FFL takes delivery to return the gun for a full refund. Customer pays return shipping fees.

That's extremely clear. There is no reason for weekend internet quibbling when Cole hasn't so much been advised of the problem yet, much less had any opportunity to respond. So, what is the problem? The gun goes back to Cole's and you get a refund, just as stated on Cole's website.

There is nothing at all tough about this one. 100% satisfied covers all the bases, leaving little room for Sunday Funday chatroom griping. If someone is beside themselves because the gun is dirty, send it back. There is hardly any reason for a dealer to write a book about a used gun, for if you aren't 100% satisfied, send it back. If you don't like or don't agree with a description, send it back. That's all there is.

Post subject: Gun consignment. What to expect from a dealer.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Used guns should absolutely be cleaned before advertising and selling. Any gun dealer is, by default, an expert on the guns they sell to the general public and any representations of condition are based on that expert status.

Barrel pitting is clearly something that should be disclosed.

I would imagine they’ll do right by you here as pitting certainly didn’t happen in a matter of days in your possession.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:48 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have bought several guns, new and used since I turned in my FFL, and I always took my little portable cleaning kit with me to pick them up. I sent back two, one for a pitted barrel. On one other, I called the seller and advised them of an issue they were not aware of, and we reached a very amenable agreement. I ALWAYS called be fore the purchase and talked with the seller to get a feel for what kind of person they were. Between that and luck I done good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:54 am 
Crown Grade

Send it back and use their warranty as advertised.

IMO with today's ammunition, pitting is very rare. I have only seen it in 1 or possibly 2 cases out of dozens of barrels I have looked through. It obviously can happen but extremely rare in my experience.

To answer the OPs question, I don't know if dealers treat consignment guns differently than ones they own. I suspect that varies with each dealer. All I have seen, never clean a barrels internals before sale. In fact, most don't do anything to them as far as maintenance except to possibly wipe off before taking pictures. However, I have noted on some very high end guns, that they seem to be clean when I have looked them over prior to a potential purchase.

Call them first and then send it back. Good luck with next purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:53 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the comments. Cole's got back to me and offered to take back the gun for a full refund or ask the seller (this was a consignment gun) if they would take a reduced price. For consignment guns they said "We do not do anything but test the guns for function when we take consignments." Lesson learned, I should have brought some cleaning protects when I first looked at the gun. They also said that the pitting should have to effect on the performance of the gun and said I should not have the barells polished for the pitting. Now I just have to decide if I send it back or ask for a lower price from the seller. I paid 5k for the MXS which I thought was a good deal but now I have to decide if it still is a good deal considering the pitting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Exactly what I would have expected from Coles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

While disappointing they couldn't at least run a swap through the barrels and check for pitting i'd say you got as good a resolution as could be asked for.

FWIW i'd look hard at the Zoli lineup. A bit more than $5k but if you buy from the right place (strongly recommend Carlson) they are a stellar value.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Vandyajk wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. Cole's got back to me and offered to take back the gun for a full refund or ask the seller (this was a consignment gun) if they would take a reduced price. For consignment guns they said "We do not do anything but test the guns for function when we take consignments." Lesson learned, I should have brought some cleaning protects when I first looked at the gun. They also said that the pitting should have to effect on the performance of the gun and said I should not have the barells polished for the pitting. Now I just have to decide if I send it back or ask for a lower price from the seller. I paid 5k for the MXS which I thought was a good deal but now I have to decide if it still is a good deal considering the pitting.

Move on unless you get a screaming reduction in price like a full $1K plus barrel honing to clean up the pits. There simply are far too many great guns in that price range and category to mess around fixing something that should never have happened. It also tells me that the rest of the gun did not see any routine care/maintenance and was also probably neglected.

If it was up to me, I would ship back and use the money on something else. For example, you can get a brand new FABARM ELOS N2 SPORTING with 32 inch barrels from a classified on SW that appears to be great deal of gun after price reduction from dealer. It is a whole lot less money than what you are currently spending. Check out Randy Wakeman's review of it below.

Good luck!

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 9&t=527612

https://www.randywakeman.com/ReviewFABA ... orting.htm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Alleycat wrote:
I have purchased many guns online from individuals and dealers, mostly classic American 22 pistols and high end shotguns. Almost without fail, they arrived needing to be cleaned. I'm a big fan of Cole's but I do feel that a dealer bears some responsibility to represent a gun accurately. It doesn't require a great deal of effort to wipe down and run a bore snake through an O/U to assess condition prior to advertising it for sale. An internet purchase of a nice gun like that based on pictures and someone's subjective description is a true leap of faith by the purchaser and Seller's should respect that by providing accurate descriptions even if they need to spend 10 minutes cleaning it up a bit to determine deficiencies.

I've bought a ton of firearms online too. I've dealt with mom and pop shops, guys on various forums (at least 6), high end dealers, small gunbroker sellers / individuals, etc. In my experience its just as you stated, if you're buying used, almost without fail its gonna be dirty.

Glad to hear Coles is gonna try and make it right (wouldn't expect any less).

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Vandyajk wrote:

A decent gunsmith can probably polish or hone out the light pitting in the pic for about $100-200. I had Briley do it when I did something stupid (left Sidekicks in a gun for several days after shooting). My pitting looked about the same as in the pic, maybe a little more.
That said, I wouldn't consider $5k for an MXS a good deal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Unfortunately, Rich Cole has thrown too many balls in the air at one time and is having trouble catching them all.