ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I buy this used CG Summit Sporting?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 9&t=529282

Thoughts? Here’s some back story...

I’m relatively new to clay shooting. Started shooting some trap a couple years ago with my first gun ever - a Mossberg 500 and quickly fell in love with busting clays. Discovered sporting clays and loved it EVEN MORE (sorry to the trap guys out there, I just love all the different presentations and walking a course, etc.). I even bought a Champion Workhorse thrower with a wobble base to take out and shoot on my own when I don’t feel like paying for a round of sporting clays or trap at a course or range.

With that said, I (stupidly) purchased a Mossberg Silver Reserve II thinking I was getting a “clay gun” for a steal under $1,000 (I didn’t know at the time that all O/U’s are not made equal... far from it) and have had nothing but problems with it, though I’m sure that surprises nobody here.

Anyway, I’ve now done tons of research, talked to a bunch of guys and am looking to spend around $2,000 or a little more to get a reliable gun (preferably used, I love the idea of a gun that’s “broken in” with some character and a story) that of course fits me and I handle well. Tough going out there right now to find a gun shop that has a variety of sporting guns to mount (let alone shoot) back to back for comparison, but I was looking into Beretta 686 or Browning Citori, CX, CXS, Winchester 101, etc. but then I stumbled across the above link in the classifieds. I never thought a Caesar Guerini would be anywhere near my budget, so I’m skeptical. I told the seller I’d need to meet up at a range or sporting clay course to check the fit and feel and shoot it a bit first, so we’ll see what he says.

Also, I read some negative stuff about Summit Sporting LOP being too long the recoil reduction system being a bad thing to add to a gun? I though the adjustable comb was at least a plus... wood looks beautiful (way better than what I expected to be able to get in my price range), though the receiver inside looks to have some wear. Idk how old the gun is since the seller bought it used in 2013. Were older CG’s just as good as they are now?

Any and all input is welcome!

Post subject: Re: Should I buy this used CG Summit Sporting?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

I think if you feel the need to ask a group of strangers on an internet forum if you should purchase a particular gun that is a very strong indicator that you should not purchase the gun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:39 am 
Crown Grade

DEG wrote:
I think if you feel the need to ask a group of strangers on an internet forum if you should purchase a particular gun that is a very strong indicator that you should not purchase the gun.

{hs# sage advice. ^^^^^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:26 pm 
Utility Grade

DEG wrote:

So then what is the purpose of this particular forum? Lol. It says in the description specifically to use it to post questions before you buy (among other things of course). I would ask this group of strangers about ANY GUN because I value input and advice from people who likely know way more about the topic than I do. So based on your advice I guess I will never buy a clay gun because I would want input before doing so...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I recently purchased a used Summit of about the same vintage also lightly used. No adjustable comb and LOP is factory original. I am very happy with mine. CG sporting guns are common and popular in my area and the guns and CG customer service have a strong reputation

My guess is you will probably need to make changes to this gun to make the fit right for you. LOP is quite long. I presume the owner is tall or has long arms / neck. Appears to be longer set up than typical by roughly an inch which is quite substantial

If it is feasible to do a face to face and see and handle it, that would be ideal. Otherwise, it is doable

I don’t have much to offer on the recoil reducer. Pretty subjective topic. The weight of the unit itself will contribute to recoil reduction

The asking price is roughly $1000 below new street price on a Summit without the extras. The extras certainly came at a cost but they are only valuable to the second buyer if they are usable and the gun fits and works for that buyer. Only you will know that

You can also make an offer. The asking price is probably in the right ballpark and in my opinion for what it is worth has the potential to be a fine piece of equipment for you.

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:09 pm 
Field Grade

At your price point look at a new Browning 725 Sporting or Beretta 694 Sporting. Both are great guns, you can add your own character and stories over years of use. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:45 pm 
Crown Grade

The brand of gun is a good one. That said, whether or not this particular used one is can't be determined over the internet. Does it fit you? Since it is used, can you shoot it and try it out before you buy?
Otherwise, as mentioned a new Browning or Beretta will be in the same ballpark so you go with whichever FITS.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 pm 
Crown Grade

alabjr wrote:
DEG wrote:

So then what is the purpose of this particular forum? Lol. It says in the description specifically to use it to post questions before you buy (among other things of course). I would ask this group of strangers about ANY GUN because I value input and advice from people who likely know way more about the topic than I do. So based on your advice I guess I will never buy a clay gun because I would want input before doing so...

I guess I see a huge difference between asking "should I buy this used [gun] vs asking for opinions about a gun a one piece of information that could be part of a decision on whether or not to buy that gun.

If you have to ask other people whether or not you should buy a specific gun then you probably should not buy it because you have not done near enough research to make an informed decision.

Since you said "Any and all input is welcome!", I specifically answered the question you posted and told you way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:23 pm 
Utility Grade

DEG wrote:
alabjr wrote:
DEG wrote:
I guess I see a huge difference between asking "should I buy this used [gun] vs asking for opinions about a gun a one piece of information that could be part of a decision on whether or not to buy that gun.

If you have to ask other people whether or not you should buy a specific gun then you probably should not buy it because you have not done near enough research to make an informed decision.

Since you said "Any and all input is welcome!", I specifically answered the question you posted and told you way.

Sounds like semantics to me... I posted this on the Caesar Guerini forum too and everyone seemed to understand and give helpful input both positive and negative (as is the point of my post and my overall question). I guess it could be debated whether or not I should’ve phrased the title of the topic more specifically, but didn’t think it would really matter that much lol.

Thanks for your input that you feel specifically addressed my post, though it had NOTHING to do with the CG Summit Sporting in question and EVERYTHING to do with whether or not you think I should be soliciting input from strangers to advise me on ANY potential gun purchase.

Wish you well, and thanks again for taking the time to respond. I’ll try to be more specific in my questions from now on if I post again in this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:05 pm 
Limited Edition

alabjr wrote:
DEG wrote:

Well said!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:16 am 
Crown Grade

alabjr wrote:

Wish you well, and thanks again for taking the time to respond. I’ll try to be more specific in my questions from now on if I post again in this forum.

No problem at all and you did a great job at clearly asking a question. You asked, "Should I buy this used CG Summit Sporting?" and I can't imagine a more clear question.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And the Clear Answer is "Maybe" I have two and love them, but I had them fitted at CG. See if you an find someone with one you can mount and shoot and possibly get someone knowledgeable to look at how it fits you and help you decide.

I agree that the guns are good, the companies customer service is great, but whether it is the one for you or not is yet to be determined.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:04 am 
Field Grade

In a perfect world you would be able to go somewhere and shoot each gun you are considering and buy what fits best. Realistically just getting to handle multiple guns at the same time /place is hard. If you can go to local club /range and talk to other shooters some may allow you to try their gun. The more guns you can handle/ shot will help make a better decision

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't buy at that price. Offer 2200.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

The gun looks like it's seen a LOT of use.
I think the asking price is more than I'd pay for it.

Post subject: Should I buy this used CG Summit Sporting?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:03 am 
Diamond Grade

I think when the excitement wears off you’re gonna want to fix the wear and there goes your big savings.

I like your idea of test driving. Maybe call CG to get a price on refinish for comparison sake.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would offer $1400.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:35 pm 
Crown Grade

sera wrote:
I would offer $1400.

You drive a hard purchase. Nothing wrong with that and gun may have more rounds than I'd pay for at 2200.

alabjr, if you're serious about purchasing a new CG give calls to the larger gun dealers. There is a lot of wiggle room in CG pricing. Low ball a price you want and accept a decent counter offer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the great input everyone, but the seller never even got back to me, and I got a great deal on an almost brand new (like 500 rounds, and the guy realized it wasn’t the right fit for him - he switched to a Beretta 686) Browning Citori 725 Sporting 12ga 30” barrels and adjustable comb. Felt AWESOME and fit me just right so I bought it.