ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merkel model 8/47e or BRNO ZP49
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:12 am 
Field Grade

So, I've been bouncing around a few places trying to research various SxS options. I recently bought a barely-used 20g Dickinson from a member here, but I still want a good, all-rounder 12g. Having bought the Dickinson, my budget is lower than one might like, but it is what it is. This will be 95-100% for clays, just for jollies. I don't plan to compete.

I'm trying to focus on mid 20th century, as in many cases it seemed a mid-point between good quality and price. Older stuff is often better quality but also nearing 100 years of age with accompanying wear. Lots of newish stuff is cheaper but doesn't seem as well-built.

So I found 2 guns at Simpsons - same price ($550), same chokes (full/full), same era (bothered in the 1950s in the East Bloc. A BRNO ZP49 from 1957 (I confirmed this in a phone call with Simpsons) and a Merkel from 1950. Both seem to good reputations (for that decade immediately after WWII) for quality (before Comm Bloc quality issues really took hold).

https://simpsonltd.com/brno-zp-49-z45645/
https://simpsonltd.com/merkel-sxs-z46484/

There are the obvious differences in stock style and action-type. What I want to ask about is - assuming condition is equal - whether anyone can weigh in if one is inherently "better" (i.e., generally better finished, reliable, etc.). I know the English vs German stock styles will be very different.

They seem like they'd be more-or-less comparable. 6 of one and a half-dozen of the other. Just looking for opinions....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Merkel model 8/47e or BRNO ZP49
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:23 am 
Presentation Grade

They are quite comparable generally. Minor differences like the Greener crossbolt on the Merkel and stock design. Countries of origin are different, but they are both Warsaw Pact era guns. Built like a T34. The Merkel is a known item today whereas the Brno gun is very less so. I’d go with the Merkel. The gun is still made and I doubt much has changed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:23 pm 
Field Grade

Agree with Dward. If something goes wrong with a Merkel, and the chances of this are very slim, parts and service are readily available.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:17 pm 
Field Grade

Good stuff. I went with the Merkel. Can't wait for it to come in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

It think you’ve made the correct choice. Please let everyone know how you have made out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

To each his own. The BRNO is a coil spring driven sidelock, every spring is a coil spring excluding the ejector spring if you get an ejector model. V-springs are more likely to break and more expensive to replace, people even pay me to make new ones! I can’t speak to the Merkel, but the BRNO has bushed firing pins, very easy to turn a new pin and replace if it fails. If the Merkel has dogtooth hammers...nightmare. The BRNO has a hidden third bite, Merkel the greener third bite. BRNO has chopperlump barrels, the Merkel dovetail or shoe lump.
The BRNO is possibly the easiest gun to put back on face as well due to the hinge pin arrangement.

Member of Rose City Flying Clays

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:14 pm 
Field Grade

All good points and things that attracted me to the BRNO. What sold me on the Merkel was that when Leroy at Simpsons compared them for me and walked through all the points, the Merkel was in somewhat better condition.

I picked up the Merkel from my FFL today. It's definitely a good one. Nice and tight, triggers are good, opens smooth, bores shiny and bright. Finish in much better condition than the pics made it seem, which wasn't bad anyway. Range report to follow - eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:35 pm 
Utility Grade

tnlonghunter wrote:
Range report to follow - eventually.

I look forward to the range review.