ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Very late comparison between V3 and A300 Outlander
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

My hunting buddy and I finally got a chance to pull the trigger on some clays on his farm today. I brought my Versa Max, the A300, and the V3 with me, and he brought a 20 gauge 1100 lw, a Turkish made .410 pump, and his SX2. We shot a few rounds through the 20 gauge, and the .410, but our main objective was to do a comparison between the big guns. Specifically the A300, and the V3. His SX2 has had thousands of 3.5” rounds out through it, and for whatever reason, it will no longer cycle low brass rounds. I suspect the piston spring may be weakened. He only fired a few rounds through it today, before putting it down.

We shot an assortment of ammo. He brought a tub full of old low brass rounds he had left over from previous hunts and shoots over the years. I seem to be the only one of my circle of friends who doesn’t own a miscellaneous bucket of loose shotgun ammo lol. All of his rounds were old rusty 7.5 and 8 shot. Some 1 oz, and some 1 1/8 oz loads. I brought a few boxes of different types of shells to see if all three of my guns would cycle them.
Ammo list:
10 rounds of Winchester Super X 3” 1210 FPS 1 7/8 oz 4 shot
Kent first dove 2 3/4 1 oz 1300 FPS 7.5 shot
Winchester super target 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz 1200 FPS 8 shot
Estate super sport competition target load 2 3/4 1 oz 1235 FPS 8 shot

As I mentioned earlier, my buddy’s SX2 wouldn’t cycle most of the rounds we had, so we only fired about 10 rounds through it. We fired about 40 though the Versa Max. Mainly so my buddy can get an idea of how soft it shoots. The Versa Max cycled everything we put in it as always. We really wanted to get a good side by side comparison of the V3 and A300. Up until Remington went out of business, these two guns were two of the most popular $600 to $800 3” gas auto loaders made. There are so many reviews online about these guns, and both have their loyal followers. There are also some “gun experts” who get paid to push one product over another, and will put out false information about a competing product to help sell the one they are paid to push. I know this is a bit late, but there are still some new V3s on shelves, and some used ones that will be available in the future. So here is an unbiased comparison from someone who owns both guns.

My buddy and I took turns with each gun, firing them each 3 times before swapping. The first thing my buddy noticed was how much easier the A300 was to load. I do agree with him here. The shells slide into the mag tube on the A300 very smoothly. It’s a very easy gun to load. The shell catch on the V3, however, is very stiff. It takes quite a bit more force to get the brass past the shell catch in the mag tube, and when it did give way, it caught my thumb. I learned that I had to bend my thumb, align it with the shell, and push the rounds in that way to prevent getting bit by the inside of the mag tube. The shell catch on my Versa Max is kind of stiff as well, though not quite as stiff as the V3

The second thing we both noticed was how much easier it was to push the safety in on the Outlander when ready to shoot. I know there are plenty of shooters who prefer the safety at the rear of the trigger guard, but the fact is, we could both easily push the safety on the outlander without adjusting our grip, before placing our fingers on the trigger. The safety on the V3 isn’t quite big enough for me to use the inside of my finger, as I do with my Versa Max. I have to adjust my grip, push the safety off, re adjust my grip, and then prepare to fire. My Versa Max is much easier to take of safety before shooting due to the large safety button.

I put modified choke tubes in the A300 and the V3 before shooting today. We shot both guns well. However, I have shortened the LOP on the A300 to fit my teenage daughter, so it was much too short for me. The V3 fit me better. Both are very soft shooting guns. I could not tell any difference in the recoil of either one when shooting the low brass 1 oz loads. My buddy and I did fire 2 rounds each of the 3” Turkey loads through the A300 and V3. The edge of the trigger guard on the V3 caught his middle finger when he fired the Turkey loads through it. He said he couldn’t really tell much difference between the two, but felt the A300 may have shot a little lighter.

I, however, felt the V3 may have shot just a little softer. The LOP was so short on the A300, the receiver brushed my nose when I fired it. It didn’t injure me at all, but I knew what happened. Both guns kicked with that heavy ammo though. I have fired thousands of rounds through the A300 over the years, and I already knew it was a fairly soft shooting gun. It’s the first 12 gauge my 18 year old has ever shot, and she has never complained about the recoil. I still have to give a slight nod to the V3 here, however. My Versa Max shoots softer than both of them though.

My buddy clearly preferred the A300 over the V3. He said the V3 was a nice gun, but he’d choose the A300 over it every time. I felt I needed to put more rounds through the V3 to get a good impression, so I continued shooting it. I did experience blow back on two occasions. Both instances were with Estate ammunition and when I was swinging up and to the right. Particles flew into my left eye both times. It didn’t affect my shooting, and was only mildly uncomfortable for a few seconds. This didn’t bother me too much, as I have shot AR15s for years at work, and was accustomed to blowback.

I also had one failure to fire in the V3. I removed the shell, and observed a dimple in the primer as it should have been. It was an old shell from my buddy’s miscellaneous ammo tub, so I believe it was just a bad round. I did, however, have one failure to feed on the very last attempted shot of the day with the V3. It was with the Estate ammunition. My buddy and I had fired around 80 rounds through the gun prior to that with the only other issue being the shell that didn’t fire. If anyone has read my initial review of my A300 from years ago, you may recall where I had a couple of ftfs in the first 100 rounds with it as well. However, I didn’t clean the gun before taking it out and shooting it for the first time. I cleaned it after that first 100 rounds, and it has not failed to cycle 1 single round in the thousands that have been fired through it. I did clean and lube the V3 before taking it out and shooting it today though.

Once we got everything cleaned up, I came home and broke the V3 down to inspect the cam pin. This is the one part of the gun I’ve read about that has experienced failures. My buddy and I fired approximately 80 rounds through it. All but the 4 3” Turkey loads were low brass rounds. There is scoring on the cam pin of my V3. I believe I will polish the edges of the bolt head that contact the cam pin as another member recommended before taking it out again. I’ll try to post a picture.

In summary, I have experienced every single issue that has been reported on here about the V3. I can say that the issues are not as bad as it sounds. I had blowback with 2 rounds out of 80, the mag tube did bite my finger a little, I also have noticed scoring on the cam pin. It has been greased prior to shooting as instructed in the owners manual. I also had a ftf on the last round. I have only put 80 or so rounds through it so far, so it’s possible it just needs a break in period as well. As of right now, even if remington were still in business and making the V3, the A300 is the better shotgun imo. It is reliable, adjustable, affordable, and I haven’t experienced any issues with it. I do think the V3 is a good soft shooting gun, however. I prefer my Versa Max over both of them though. It has not ever failed me.

I’ll continue updating as I get more rounds though the V3. Maybe some of the issues will work themselves out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:02 am 
Crown Grade

Here's another comparison:

Remington - out of business
Beretta - in business

That's all you need to know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:40 am 
Tournament Grade

drawdc wrote:

Beretta - in business

Lol this is true, however there are still lots of these guns out in the market.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

I am an unabashed Remington fan, having nothing but first rate service from the Remington guns I`ve owned and the company`s customer service. Having said that, I don`t believe I would buy another product from a company that was no longer in business.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:14 am 
Tournament Grade

You wouldn’t be buying the product from the company. You’d be purchasing “new old stock” just like many do with other guns no longer in production. Personally I always wanted a V3, so I took some stimmy money, and got one for myself. It’s a good gun, but not the gun some here have touted it to be. It is easier to field strip, and clean than the A300, and does shoot a little softer IMO. It will be a good waterfowl gun for my son someday. If I do end up wanting to get rid of it, I can part it out and make a profit on it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:27 pm 
Crown Grade

I have thoroughly enjoyed shooting my walnut model V3. It`s performance has been flawless. Like a number of folks on SW, I think that Remington would have sold more than a few in 20 gauge. Alas, I think we will most likely never know for sure.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:20 pm 
Crown Grade

What were the relative weights of the 3 guns as that could/should influence perceived recoil?

Excellent report and you made no mention trigger pulls so I am assuming there wasn't a noticeable difference.

As to the "gouging" of the cam pin, mine also had a bit like yours show up after a short time but has not progressed since then and it now has over 2K rounds through it.

Good stuff! Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
What were the relative weights of the 3 guns as that could/should influence perceived recoil?

Excellent report and you made no mention trigger pulls so I am assuming there wasn't a noticeable difference.

As to the "gouging" of the cam pin, mine also had a bit like yours show up after a short time but has not progressed since then and it now has over 2K rounds through it.

Good stuff! Thanks.

I mentioned trigger pull in an earlier post. The weights of the guns were as follows
Versa Max 8lbs .6oz I believe the trigger pull averaged 5lbs 6oz
A300 7lbs 7oz average trigger pull 3lbs 10oz
V3 7lbs 3.8oz average trigger pull is 3lbs 15oz I believe
All of the weights were collected using my lymon digital trigger scale
The A300 and the V3 both have excellent triggers. Honestly, the trigger on the Versa Max has not negatively affected my accuracy at all either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

That added pound of the VM over the other 2 undoubtedly contributes to it being the lightest feeling recoil pulse.

Sorry, I forgot the earlier posts on trigger pull. Excellent review.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
That added pound of the VM over the other 2 undoubtedly contributes to it being the lightest feeling recoil pulse.

Sorry, I forgot the earlier posts on trigger pull. Excellent review.

I appreciate it. I know some will feel that there is no point to compare them anymore, but there are still plenty of V3s in circulation. There are undoubtedly others out there who are considering these guns as I did once. My ex made the decision for me a few years ago, and honestly, I think she made the right choice between the two. I am glad that I now own both though. I never even considered a VM back then. I didn’t think I’d be able to afford one. It is honestly my favorite of the three. I will likely take the V3 or A300 if I get an opportunity to do some pheasant hunting in Missouri this year. I can swing them a little faster.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

drawdc wrote:

Beretta - in business

No kidding, here's how I look at it.

Remington-what is their to get excited about
Beretta- How do you not get excited about a Beretta product.

The Beretta A300 is built on a tried and true platform and action, with basic parts that have proven their weight and worth in the field and on the competition circuit.

The only thing that excites me about Remington is gun club shells for practice for $54.99 a flat, and those days are long gone so.

Do yourself a favor, pull the trigger on the A300 and don't look back.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:18 am 
Tournament Grade

gdub41 wrote:
drawdc wrote:

Beretta - in business

No kidding, here's how I look at it.

Remington-what is their to get excited about
Beretta- How do you not get excited about a Beretta product.

The Beretta A300 is built on a tried and true platform and action, with basic parts that have proven their weight and worth in the field and on the competition circuit.

The only thing that excites me about Remington is gun club shells for practice for $54.99 a flat, and those days are long gone so.

Do yourself a favor, pull the trigger on the A300 and don't look back.

I do agree that the A300 is better all around than the V3 for a general purpose, do everything gun. The main advantages of the A300 over the V3 for me are the adjustability of the stock on the A300, the ability to click the safety off without adjusting grip, and loading the magazine. You don’t truly appreciate how smoothly it is, until you load some other guns next to it. However, the V3 does offer a couple of advantages as well. It is a softer shooting gun, and it’s easier to disassemble for cleaning. Having the return springs in the receiver alone make it much easier to maintain. There’s also no operating arm to align with the bolt assembly when putting it back together. I have no idea which gun will go longer between cleanings, but I am certain they will both be extremely reliable. I just posted more about the V3 and Versa Max on another thread I created. I will also post it on here for those following this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I took my Versa Max and V3 to my best friend’s house to shoot some clays this weekend. I left the A300 in the truck. I know all I need to know about it, and since my daughter has claimed it, I doubt I’ll hunt with it much from here on out.

my buddy brought out his A400 Extreme plus. We shot all three guns, and hit well with them. He noted how light the V3 was, and commented how much it felt like shooting an 870. I tend to agree with him there. It is a very comfortable gun to shoot, other than the blow back, which we both experienced. It was a windy day, however, and we were shooting into the wind.

The blow back is mild and doesn’t affect our ability to shoot the gun. I will likely apply some black tape to the inside of the forearm where it meets the receiver to see if that eliminates the blowback. If not, it’s not bad enough to deter me from shooting the gun.

we fired about 40 more target loads through it today. Mostly 2 3/4” 7.5 1oz shot Aguilla shells. It cycled them all. I have been keeping a close eye on the cam pin after shooting each time, and the scoring doesn’t appear to be worsening. I did talk with the gunsmith at my LGS concerning the cam pin. There was a used V3 at the store, so I took it apart and showed him the areas of concern. He informed me that he doubts I’ll have a failure, but it’s not a difficult repair if I do. That eased my mind quite a bit.

I have the same impression of it as I did the first time I took it out. It is a fairly soft recoiling gun. Slightly softer than the A300. The shell catch is stiff and it’s much more difficult to load the magazine than my Beretta. Points naturally for me and handles like an 870. There’s some blow back, and I wish the safety was larger. I may get a larger safety button for it in the future. All in all, it’s a good gun, but the nod still goes to the A300. The A300 just doesn’t have any issues.

the Versa Max is still my favorite of the 3. It never fails, and it’s comfortable to shoot. I’ve got near 400 trouble free rounds of all size and payload shells through it. I did wipe the bolt, trigger assembly, and receiver down and oil it after snow goose season, but I still haven’t removed the pistons.

I shot it back to back with my buddy’s A400 Extreme Plus. They are both very soft shooting guns. Honestly, there was no way to determine which shot softer with target ammo. We will put steel through both of them later this year and see if there’s a difference.

The only advantage the A400 offered over the VM was how much easier it is to load rounds in the magazine. Just like my A300, loading shells into the A400 was smooth and easy. The VM isn’t quite as stiff as the V3, but it’s not nearly as smooth as the Berettas. Other than that, the A400 offered no advantage over the VM for me. Even with the dip, cerakote, and the added oversized bolt release and charging handle, I’ve got $500 less invested in my gun than he does his black synthetic A400.

Last edited by SHughes on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:18 am 
Limited Edition

I have enjoyed Your posts about the V3. I have one as well (synthetic) and really like it. I have been on the fence about keeping it because of the cam pin problems. Did Your gunsmith say how much it would be to fix the cam pin if it broke? this is the first I have seen about the repair being no big deal.

SHughes wrote:
"There was a used V3 at the store, so I took it apart and showed him the areas of concern. He informed me that he doubts I’ll have a failure, but it’s not a difficult repair if I do. That eased my mind quite a bit."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:25 am 
Tournament Grade

We didn’t discuss a price on it. He just told me not to worry about it. If it does eventually break and it cost me $100 to get a new cam pin machined and pressed in, I like the gun well enough that I would do it. In the meantime, I plan to keep the cam pin greased, and monitor it on occasion. There is also a possibility the factory in Illion will re open. If it does, I’m sure the V3 will be one of the firearms in production. Parts will once again be available.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:39 am 
Crown Grade

SHughes wrote:
I took my Versa Max and V3 to my best friend’s house to shoot some clays this weekend. I left the A300 in the truck. I know all I need to know about it, and since my daughter has claimed it, I doubt I’ll hunt with it much from here on out.

my buddy brought out his A400 Extreme plus. We shot all three guns, and hit well with them. He noted how light the V3 was, and commented how much it felt like shooting an 870. I tend to agree with him there. It is a very comfortable gun to shoot, other than the blow back, which we both experienced. It was a windy day, however, and we were shooting into the wind.

The blow back is mild and doesn’t affect our ability to shoot the gun. I will likely apply some black tape to the inside of the forearm where it meets the receiver to see if that eliminates the blowback. If not, it’s not bad enough to deter me from shooting the gun.

we fired about 40 more target loads through it today. Mostly 7.5” 1oz Aguilla shells. It cycled them all. I have been keeping a close eye on the cam pin after shooting each time, and the scoring doesn’t appear to be worsening. I did talk with the gunsmith at my LGS concerning the cam pin. There was a used V3 at the store, so I took it apart and showed him the areas of concern. He informed me that he doubts I’ll have a failure, but it’s not a difficult repair if I do. That eased my mind quite a bit.

I have the same impression of it as I did the first time I took it out. It is a fairly soft recoiling gun. Slightly softer than the A300. The shell catch is stiff and it’s much more difficult to load the magazine than my Beretta. Points naturally for me and handles like an 870. There’s some blow back, and I wish the safety was larger. I may get a larger safety button for it in the future. All in all, it’s a good gun, but the nod still goes to the A300. The A300 just doesn’t have any issues.

the Versa Max is still my favorite of the 3. It never fails, and it’s comfortable to shoot. I’ve got near 400 trouble free rounds of all size and payload shells through it. I did wipe the bolt, trigger assembly, and receiver down and oil it after snow goose season, but I still haven’t removed the pistons.

I shot it back to back with my buddy’s A400 Extreme Plus. They are both very soft shooting guns. Honestly, there was no way to determine which shot softer with target ammo. We will put steel through both of them later this year and see if there’s a difference.

The only advantage the A400 offered over the VM was how much easier it is to load rounds in the magazine. Just like my A300, loading shells into the A400 was smooth and easy. The VM isn’t quite as stiff as the V3, but it’s not nearly as smooth as the Berettas. Other than that, the A400 offered no advantage over the VM for me. Even with the dip, cerakote, and the added oversized bolt release and charging handle, I’ve got $500 less invested in my gun than he does his black synthetic A400.

{hs# Yep, that is enough for about 3 flats of quality shotshells! Sad but true nowadays! :wink: :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 am 
Limited Edition

I surely hope Remington reopens. If it only cost $100 to get a broken cam pin repaired I'd not worry about it. there are no Gunsmiths in My area . wish there were.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

.45colt wrote:
I surely hope Remington reopens. If it only cost $100 to get a broken cam pin repaired I'd not worry about it. there are no Gunsmiths in My area . wish there were.

I live in an area where agriculture is a big part of our local economy. There is a wide variety of game to hunt, and a couple of machine shops locally. We have a few gun stores within a 75 mile radius who employ gunsmiths. The one I go to is John Carroll at Cypress Creek in NW Tennessee. He’s the same one who cerakoted and dipped my VM. I’ve known him for years. If he tells me not to be concerned, I trust him.