ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning bps vs CZ drake vs Tristar G2 all 28ga.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I was looking at the 3 shotguns. I like all 3 of them. I will be using the gun for small game hunting. I was going to call and pay for the CZ tomorrow. But my wife wanted me to asked about the bps and G2. She has a browning bps youth 20 ga she uses turkey hunting. The bps comes with 3 chokes. CZ comes with hard case and 5 chokes. G2 comes with 5 chokes. It's going to be 100% field gun. I do like to crow hunt with small gauges. I will be reloading for a 28 ga. The ammo locally is easy to find. I could see where bps or G2 would be easier to use if u had several squirrels in a tree. I like a over and under shotguns to shoot skeet. But I could see a over and under working in the woods also. A person could 2 different chokes at once.

Post subject: Re: Browning bps vs CZ drake vs Tristar G2 all 28ga.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

My personal opinion is that Browning did a poor job copying the M37. Every BPS I have handled or shot in no way reminded me of shooting an Ithaca M37.

The BPS is overly heavy and slow handling when I shoot one. But it's easier to find your empties with. Probably would be just fine for squirrels. But less so for grouse.

I would not be a big fan of any O/U for squirrels. The POI is not always good enough for that kind of hunting - YMMV. But, for reloading, it's the best out of your choices for hull management in the field.

I reload for my 28ga SxS. So no S/A guns for me, extractor guns only. Don't even want those precious hulls to even get close to the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

I would personally buy the BPS. I have only ever shot 12 ga BPS shotguns a few times, but I have a friend who has been waterfowl hunting with one for over 30 years. When it comes to longevity, reliability and durability, I have to go with the Browning.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks guys. My wife has a bps. Some of her family hunts with bps. 10ga 12 ga and 20ga. No 28ga has of yet. My birthday is in May. My wife asked what I wanted. I said I want a bps 410ga. First time I seen one. I have always liked that gun. I am using a mossberg 500 410 TSS turkey gun. I bought it just for squirrel hunting. I sure like shooting the sub gauges.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

One other option maybe be an Ithaca 37 in 28 ga.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am actually waiting on a G2, as soon as it is in stock I plan on getting one.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:34 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Quote:
Browning bps vs CZ drake vs Tristar G2 all 28ga

The Tri-Star wins by any reasonable standard, as does the Mossberg SA-28. Anyone who is into 28 gauges would be sorely disappointed with a 7 lb. 28 gauge, which is what the BPS is. It defeats the reason for a 28 gauge.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:09 pm 
Limited Edition

I had a 12 ga Browning Bps for years. 26" barrel it was a Good gun and ran well but was heavy and had a trigger pull that was like mush. The Tristar gets My vote. My 28ga is a joy to carry and easy to break down to clean. 5 year warranty . Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:17 am 
Crown Grade

Go with a SXS or O/U. That way you don't have to go on all fours looking for hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I fount a tristar g2 28ga with silver receiver. But it has a 28 inch barrel. I was looking for a 26 inch barrel. Now if I can find a 26 inch barrel. I am going with a tristar. I bought 340 ct once fired fiocchi hulls. Also fount a mec 600 28ga loader.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

204_ruger wrote:
I fount a tristar g2 28ga with silver receiver. But it has a 28 inch barrel. I was looking for a 26 inch barrel. Now if I can find a 26 inch barrel. I am going with a tristar. I bought 340 ct once fired fiocchi hulls. Also fount a mec 600 28ga loader.

I bought a Viper G2 in .410 a year or two ago. I think it's a very impressive gun for the money. It has been every bit as reliable and fun as my Beretta, Benelli and Franchi autoloaders. Good looking, too.

I wish I had chosen one of the nicer versions, but I bought the standard model w/26" barrel. But it has nice Turkish walnut on it and looks better than a lot of more expensive shotguns.

My only issue with it (a common one) was the trigger being too heavy. I bought a spring from McCarbo to lighten it up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I've been shooting a 28 gauge Tristar G2 for a little over a year and absolutely love it. I bought mine to shoot subgauge Sporting Clays events and it has the 28" barrel. I have shot quail with it and it worked fine but I would love to have one with the 26" just for a quail gun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:37 pm 
Field Grade

I had a BPS in 28 gauge and sold it when the price was more than I thought it was worth. Apparently some like the DU silver-nitride receiver BPS more than I do. Very nice gun but a bit oversized for 28. I don’t have experience with the other two but would consider the Ithaca 37 in 28 if you are looking at the BPS.

Clark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

I fount a g2 viper with 26 inch barrel. It will be here by Friday or Monday. If I order it first thing in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I ordered the tristar G2 28ga 26 inch barrel. I bought it from midway USA. Only place had it in stock. Website said 1 limited per house whole. I started buying AA 100 ct 28ga from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart also have 28ga in Winchester white box 6 shot. And federal top gun 6 shot in stock. I can find all the 28ga ammo I could use. Now have to find powder that will work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Randy, what is your definition of "reason for a 28 ga."???

RandyWakeman wrote:
Quote:
Browning bps vs CZ drake vs Tristar G2 all 28ga

The Tri-Star wins by any reasonable standard, as does the Mossberg SA-28. Anyone who is into 28 gauges would be sorely disappointed with a 7 lb. 28 gauge, which is what the BPS is. It defeats the reason for a 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:00 pm 
Field Grade

As someone who owns both a BPS and two CZ shotguns I would have to suggest you lean towards the CZ. While I find the BPS is a great Trap gun it's less than ideal for hunting something like squirrel. With the CZ you will have the option if a very quick follow up. Downside to the CZ is than the trigger on my CZ Teal is rather heavy at 8 lbs. Note, the trigger on my CZ Sharp Tail Target SxS is much lighter at about 4 lbs.. The teal was a Cabela's specific model and may have that heavy trigger due to Cabela's specs. One thing I do know about my CZ's is that both are well made and both feature rather pretty wood.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:09 am 
Tournament Grade

desmobob wrote:
204_ruger wrote:

I bought a Viper G2 in .410 a year or two ago. I think it's a very impressive gun for the money. It has been every bit as reliable and fun as my Beretta, Benelli and Franchi autoloaders. Good looking, too.

I wish I had chosen one of the nicer versions, but I bought the standard model w/26" barrel. But it has nice Turkish walnut on it and looks better than a lot of more expensive shotguns.

My only issue with it (a common one) was the trigger being too heavy. I bought a spring from McCarbo to lighten it up.

I went with the Tristar G2 viper 28ga in wood. I wanted a 26 inch barrel. If they would have made a 26 inch in the black on black. I wanted the wooden viper 410 . Like the one u got. If the black on black would have been offered I would have bought it also in the 410. But I ended up buying a mossberg SA 410ga TSS turkey gun also. My next one will be the mossberg SA 410ga field model. Turkey model came with 1 choke xx ful. The field model comes with 5.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

Congrats on your new gun! Enjoy shooting it!

And good luck on finding your empties for reloading................