ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

custom stocked MX2000 or new bespoke High Tech?
custom stocked MX2000 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Bespoke High Tech 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: getting a fitted gun: MX2000 vs High Tech
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm looking for insights on buying a newish MX2000 and having a custom stock fitted made versus ordering a new bespoke High Tech. Both guns would be similar in configuration. I'm located in the US and will be going to nationals in October. What do you think? Thanks

Post subject: Re: getting a fitted gun: MX2000 vs High Tech
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Your money your call,both fine guns.Spending that kind of money and you don't know what you want and ask strangers on an internet site for guidance HUMMM good luck and enjoy which one you choose. :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:09 am 
Limited Edition

hopper810 wrote:
Spending that kind of money and you don't know what you want and ask strangers on an internet site for guidance HUMMM good luck
+1
I'll never understand that

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've ordered several bespoke Perazzis and bought some off the shelf also used. My favorite is a bespoke 20g ordered by a friend and barely used.(Til I got it.)It has a round knob pistol grip and a solid rib on the 28g bbls. Only ones of either that I have seen on Perazzi.

Here's my take:

1. the MX 2000 is a great gun and replaced what used to be called the Mirage , just in time for the 2000 Olympics in Australia. It has drop out triggers. The bbls and triggers from an MX 8 will fit it. It is simply a nicer engraved version of the MX 8. I know many shooters of this gun and none have ever complained. The MX 2000S is the fixed trigger version of that gun and has coil springs rather than leaf springs (Digweed shoots this). The bbl selector is superior in the 2000S compared to a regular MX 2000.

2. the Hi-Tech is the new gun w/ a new rib configuration and a slightly beefier action. It also comes in an "S" action(see above) . Puts more weight between the hands . David Radulavich shoots this. To me , I wonder if it is enough different to a plain MX 8 to justify a $2000 higher price.

You --at Nationals-- can test drive both guns. In this price range , PLEASE do that. Perazzi USA will be there and ask Al to let you try them.There's usually a 5 stand practice venue directly in front of the Perazzi store.

Call me if you want to know more.

Sera Russell 337-237-7171

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:51 am 
Presentation Grade

I like the idea of a bespoke gun as it is the best fit possible and the options are exactly what you desire.
The down side is delivery time. I have two friends that ordered new bespoke HT's last October and one was delivered last month and the second gun is still in progress.
I think that time is unreasonable.

CT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sadly , CT is exactly right and the actual "wait" time is usually longer than --as 1st -- predicted. My feeling is that no one really wants to tell you 10 months, but it could be a year.

PLUS I like to handle the finished product and even shoot it. I am not too needy fit-wise and am OK w/ the std stock.

My wife will be getting a custom stock --b/c she needs one--any day now, for her Hi-Tech.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:58 am 
Crown Grade

I have ordered two different Perazzis with custom dimensions. On average, the time took about 4 to 5 months. The last one I ordered was about 3 years ago so I guess things have changed now with wait times. My guns came in all with the correct dimensions. My friend on the otherhand, had a couple of guns that didn't come in as ordered (mainly stock dimensions). Based on his experience, Perazzi Italy has the attitude "Well, it's close enough, so what's the big deal?"

If you are going to order a gun from Perazzi with custom dimensions, I would order the gun through a dealer that would bend over backwards to correct any type of discrepancy on your new gun, should it arrive with the dimensions or specs not requested.

Another route to go is find a dealer who has an off the shelf gun that you want and is willing to give you a great deal on it. Then sell the stock-set, recoup some money back, and put the money towards a custom stock from a reputable stock maker. For this option, at least you know your stock dimensions will be exactly as what you ordered. There are dealers out there that will give you a very good deal on an off the shelf gun if they are looking to move inventory. Best bet is to go to a big shoot and try to make a deal there.

For whatever reason, the stock dimensions on the older version of the MXS (with the big lettering on the side of the receiver) fit me perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

Similarly to sernv99, I have ordered two custom Perazzi (MX2000/8 and MX12L) from Pacific Sporting Arms some 2 years ago. It took about 4-5 month for each to be delivered. Both guns were made to my exact specifications but... since I forgot to specify grip sizes, both guns had grips way too large for my hands, which forced me to install custom set back triggers - thanks, Lucio! So, if you will decide to order a custom Perazzi, be sure to pay attention to grip dimensions - radius, LOR, palm swell size, etc. Otherwise, it may get pretty uncomfortable. Other than that, my experience with Pacific Sporting Arms was excellent!

That said, if I would be ordering a Perazzi today, I would definitely go with the alternative route sernv99 has suggested. I would order a gun with the receiver, engravings, and barrels the way I want and with a most common stock dimensions; I would sell the stock and order the custom fitted stock from a good reputable stock maker like Jim Greenwood, Wenig, S&S Plus, or even Shurley Bros. I think, this is the best way to get EXACTLY what you want. As for the model, I would get the blued-black High Tech with Lusso engravings... :)

Last edited by mortum on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can call Rich Cole at Cole Fine Guns and Gunsmithing. He a Perazzi dealer and can make you a custom stock.

https://www.colegun.com/collections/perazzi-shotguns