ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommendation for 1st O/U
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:15 pm 
Field Grade

I am looking to purchase my first O/U. I want an all/around gun for clays, skeet and field use. I am thinking about a Citori CX 12 gauge 30” barrels. I am right handed but left eye dominent and will be shooting this gun left handed. What do you think of the Citori CX and/or do you have any other recommendations?

Post subject: Re: Recommendation for 1st O/U
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Coopdog wrote:
I am looking to purchase my first O/U. I want an all/around gun for clays, skeet and field use. I am thinking about a Citori CX 12 gauge 30” barrels. I am right handed but left eye dominent and will be shooting this gun left handed. What do you think of the Citori CX and/or do you have any other recommendations?

Good choice. Or a CXS . . . just depends on which rib height you prefer (Length of pull differs, too).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Dunn's Guns has some crazy low prices on Brownings right now. Lots of the items are sold out, but a few are not. And they may be expecting more. Dunno.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Reed's Sports, Walker, MN had the best price on a 725 when I bought mine.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:56 am 
Field Grade

Browning CX or CXS both good choice. Try the 32" before you buy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I don't know anything about the Citori, but the type of safety on the gun may be of consideration. typically, skeet and s/c shooters don't want an automatic safety. some hunters do. guns built for skeet and s/c do not have auto safeties for that reason. depends on how much skeet/sporting you plan to do and whether you are ok with including that in your habit pattern.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:36 am 
Field Grade

rans wrote:
I don't know anything about the Citori, but the type of safety on the gun may be of consideration. typically, skeet and s/c shooters don't want an automatic safety. some hunters do. guns built for skeet and s/c do not have auto safeties for that reason. depends on how much skeet/sporting you plan to do and whether you are ok with including that in your habit pattern.

Funny you say that. I once shot sporting clays with a cheap Stoeger I think it was, and my thump was raw from the safety. HATED it!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

My first SC outing was with a borrowed Browning that had an automatic safety. I wasted a lot of targets that day not remembering to remove the safety after loading. I wouldn't want that on a clays game gun if it couldn't be deactivated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am also left handed have a Cynergy CX that I am very happy with. A little cheaper than the Citori CX as well. Some people don't like the look, but I like it fine.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 am 
Field Grade

rpenmanparker wrote:
My first SC outing was with a borrowed Browning that had an automatic safety. I wasted a lot of targets that day not remembering to remove the safety after loading. I wouldn't want that on a clays game gun if it couldn't be deactivated.

I believe that the Citori’s do not have automatic safeties

Post subject: Management of expectations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:07 am 
Presentation Grade

One of my favorite guns is a Citori. I shoot it from my left shoulder, though I'm right-handed.

Bought it because Todd Rodgers let me shoot his White Lightning model some, and that was terrific.

My Citori did not fit me well initially, so I bent the stock. Now it shoots at least as well as did that little gun of Todd's.

Don't be intimidated by the possibility that a new gun may need adjustment. It is neither too expensive nor too difficult to accomplish.

Have fun!

Drang nach Alger Flats!

Post subject: Re: Management of expectations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:11 am 
Crown Grade

Kannoncocker wrote:
One of my favorite guns is a Citori. I shoot it from my left shoulder, though I'm right-handed.

Bought it because Todd Rodgers let me shoot his White Lightning model some, and that was terrific.

My Citori did not fit me well initially, so I bent the stock. Now it shoots at least as well as did that little gun of Todd's.

Don't be intimidated by the possibility that a new gun may need adjustment. It is neither too expensive nor too difficult to accomplish.

Have fun!

Very true, but keep in mind what was just pointed out to me: adjusting the gun may void the warranty. That possibility didn't stop me, but might be a concern for some folks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Watch out for cast. You might need a left hand model.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Just don’t buy a cheap O /U ....... Stick with Browning or Beretta...... in the long run you wont be disappointed....

Beretta 390 “Duck Gun”
Beretta 686 Sporting
Beretta 682 Gold E Sporting

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 pm 
Field Grade

jml wrote:
Just don’t buy a cheap O /U ....... Stick with Browning or Beretta...... in the long run you wont be disappointed....

How does the Beretta Silver Pigeon I compare to the Browning CXS?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

jml wrote:

I need to mention that is not a universal opinion. I don’t mean about the B guns. I agree with that. What I mean is that inexpensive O/Us can provide excellent value. Except for aesthetics, my Yildiz compares very favorably with my new Beretta at 1/8 the price. I could easily have shot the Yildiz as my only shotgun for the rest of my life, but after confirming my interest in sporting clays for a couple of years, I was able to buy something prettier. I accept my opinion is not mainstream, but it is my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:03 pm 
Crown Grade

The brownings you and others mentioned are prob the best starting point by far. If you’re going to shoot from the left, I’d suggest an adjustable comb.

The factory option will get you started, and if you like it, the factory hardware can be upgraded down the road. But you can get the CX series set up to fit easy enough, and you really would be starting off with a great gun. Good luck. Good shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:24 pm 
Utility Grade

hardcast wrote:
Browning CX or CXS both good choice. Try the 32" before you buy.

I agree that you should try the 32" before you buy. I liked it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:59 pm 
Field Grade

Beretta 686’s are readily available with left hand stocks. I think Citories are supposed to be an ambidextrous stock. I will have to try both.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:17 pm 
Field Grade

My CX has a straight stock except it has a slight palm swell. I didn't notice it until I read the literature on the gun. A friend who borrowed it for a round of trap bought one of his own afterward......and he is left handed.

It does not have an automatic safety.

Like everyone says: between the Beretta or Browning buy the gun that seems to fit.

Bryand