ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Smoke
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

maltzahn wrote:
Boy'z.....I have 38 years of shooting ATA registered targets, just short of a quarter million recorded, just received my 100,000 singles pin. Shot many 100 straights and several 200 straights (200 in 3 different state championships) and usually carry over a 97% average in singles shooting in all weather. Documented by the ATA and available to anyone wanting to check that claim out.

I know 100 straights and those that shoot them. Who I would like to know is a chipper willing to bet me 10 bucks a target in a 100 bird shoot off. Is that decent enough money? :wink:

Maltz

LOL. Now I am getting to know you. You are really really full of yourself. Also, you can't possibly know those who shoot 100 straights. You can only know the microscopic fraction of skeet shooters who decide to shoot registered targets.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet!......Get a rope!

Nothin' easier than a 100 straight in skeet, takes 500 straight to win tournaments and your bag needs to match your outfit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Isn't Skeet a good way to just learn crossing targets on the way to Sporting Clays?

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:29 pm 
Crown Grade

T-Pee wrote:
Isn't Skeet a good way to just learn crossing targets on the way to Sporting Clays?

tp

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

drawdc wrote:
T-Pee wrote:

tp

Yes.

And especially so if the club allows you to back up from the regular pads -- allows you to work on longer crossers, and deeper quartering out and in.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:22 pm 
Crown Grade

maltzahn wrote:
Skeet!......Get a rope!

Nothin' easier than a 100 straight in skeet, takes 500 straight to win tournaments and your bag needs to match your outfit.

Hahahaha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

drawdc wrote:
T-Pee wrote:

tp

Yes.

Went to a local county gun club today just to check the place out before next weekend's SC benefit shoot. I did take the Affinity and some 1oz loads with me. Got done getting the lowdown from the nice gal at the clubhouse and on the way out noticed a guy shooting skeet by himself practicing so I stopped for a chat. "JR" is a friendly guy and a regular at the club apparently so I got to asking him questions about shooting skeet. At one point he stopped and asked if I had a gun with me and when I replied to the affirmative he said "Well, let's shoot and see how you do. We can use one of my tokens." Swapped out the Modified choke for the IC and...

I missed four out of twenty or so. 8) They were the hard incoming from the corners. Waited too long to shoot them.
Going back tomorrow with more time and ammo. Gonna try out the SC course too.

tp (hooked)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:35 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
drawdc wrote:
T-Pee wrote:

tp

Yes.

And especially so if the club allows you to back up from the regular pads -- allows you to work on longer crossers, and deeper quartering out and in.

^^^^^^^^^^

Very good practice. You may have to go during the week, get a puller from the office and go to a field by yourself. It works where I shoot. Most of the Main Event NSCA shoots have a lot of crossers and quartering birds, incoming and outgoing. Get those down and the trap/teal, chondels and rabbits, and your almost..........there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^

Very good practice. You may have to go during the week, get a puller from the office and go to a field by yourself.

As a matter of fact, many folk at the club do just that although their setup doesn't require a puller. From what I've seen, a lone shooter has some electronic device on person for solo practice. Pretty cool and I'd be able to repeat ad nauseum the positions that give me a hard time.

tp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If your goal is to practice a target til you hit it (once) , and then move on...read no farther.

If you want to teach yourself to be good , shoot the targets til you get smoke w/ a tight(ish) choke and then keep after it til you get smoke every time.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sera wrote:
If you want to teach yourself to be good , shoot the targets til you get smoke w/ a tight(ish) choke and then keep after it til you get smoke every time.

Hell you say? That sounds like an awful lot of effort just to break a few clays. especially when a chip is still a "/" on the scorecard!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
sera wrote:

Hell you say? That sounds like an awful lot of effort just to break a few clays. especially when a chip is still a "/" on the scorecard!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll take being able to routinely get a smokeball with an occasional chip over routinely chipping the birds with an occasional miss any day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In an actual competition , I might get distracted by a cute trapper in short shorts. You know how it is. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

regarding skeet as practice for sporting, in addition to what has been said above, I like to shoot doubles, reverse doubles, report pair, and reverse report pairs.

that combo does really reflect a lot of what you see (at least what I see) on local sporting courses.

If shooting with a group, make sure they are ok with shooting something other than "regular skeet" . 95% of the time a squad won't care, but once in a while I'll get some blow back from a curmudgeon. That's OK, I'll use that as an opportunity to work on breaking/smoking every target.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

T-Pee wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^

Very good practice. You may have to go during the week, get a puller from the office and go to a field by yourself.

As a matter of fact, many folk at the club do just that although their setup doesn't require a puller. From what I've seen, a lone shooter has some electronic device on person for solo practice. Pretty cool and I'd be able to repeat ad nauseum the positions that give me a hard time.

tp

That is the way it works where I shoot now; I am usually the only person there and I use a voice release hooked up to the standard cable so I can't stand too much further back from the pad. I usually only work from 2-6 shooting singles and doubles. It would be nice if it could be set for report pairs.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well--until the NSCA forms a "class" that is dubbed "I can win even though I don't practice" class , if you want to win , you need to go practice.

There are many ways and oneounce's way is one of the better ones.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is really easy..........

If you want to shoot good scores in whatever class or just to please yourself. Learn how to center targets. Learn lead and speed or call that trigger timing. If you do not have a new GPS targeting system setting out front, simply put in an over choke and learn how to center targets by reading the breaks. Chips or chunks your hitting the target with stray shot on the edge of the pattern. Crushing the target indicates the target was in the patterns center core.

Your subconscious mind and visual recognition will inherently teach you the required lead and timing to every angle, distance and speed. Trap, skeet, sporting, or 5-stand. Now you know how the big boyz did it.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maltz,
Your definitely the MAN with the PLAN.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Back to Flash targets. In International they only use them in the finals, and it is worth some practice because in skeet the 2nd target is easily lost in the flash of the first, so you have to learn to see through it. Problem is Flash targets cost 3X what regular ones do.

Back to OP, "stacking" of skeet targets happens, but it's not what they're trying for, just sometimes things line up.