ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Time Clay Target Shooter…Need Shotgun Help Please.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm 
Field Grade

Hey all.

First off, I have never shot a single round of any kind of clay targets. Now I live in an area with a nice range that has a league that meets every Thursday starting August 5. The discipline is trap.
I’ve always been enamored with clay target shooting. Always wanted to try it and now that I live close a nice range that has a league to make it more fun, I’m gonna try it. I think I’ll like it. It lasts for 8 weeks.

The main problem I have is my gear. I don’t exactly have a sporting clay shooting shotgun. My shotgun is a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 21” VR barrel and a +4 Nordic mag tube. It is set up like a Tactical type shotgun. Not exactly what you want to stroll to the shooting line with.

So, I thought I’d ask you all for some advice.

1. What’s the best way to go…semi or O/U and why?

2. Can you recommend a shotgun for me in each style? I’d like to go no higher than $750 or so.

3. If I do have to use my 21” Benelli, what choke should I use? I’ve got 5 different options.

That’s about all I can think of right now. Please help if you don’t mind.

Thank you for your time.
BD

Post subject: Re: First Time Clay Target Shooter…Need Shotgun Help Please.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Nalapombu wrote:
1. What’s the best way to go…semi or O/U and why?

This is really a matter of personal preference, one isn't better than the other.
I use O/U's because I like the feel/swing better.

Nalapombu wrote:
2. Can you recommend a shotgun for me in each style? I’d like to go no higher than $750 or so.

With your budget, I'd go with an SA, you'll be able to get a much better quality SA in that price range. Shoot as many different guns as you can, buy the one that feels best to you.

Nalapombu wrote:
3. If I do have to use my 21” Benelli, what choke should I use? I’ve got 5 different options.

For 16yard Trap, IC or MOD will work just fine.
\Have fun, enjoy the ride!
[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 am 
Crown Grade

At $750, a used semi should be in your ballpark.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For $750 or thereabouts, you should be able to buy a new Tristar Viper G2 which I think is a good gun regardless of price. I still favor the Beretta 390 or 391 (both have long since been discontinued but still plenty of them around being used today).

Decent O/U's are likely going to start at about $1,000 or so. They won't be top of the line guns, but should be adequate for light to moderate usage. Something like the new SKB O/U seems to be a good value based on reports. The new Weatherby O/U is very similar in price and reliability based on reports.

Here you go: https://www.tristararms.com/series/vipe ... ood-walnut

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Semi-auto for sure. It’s very difficult to find a $750 over/under that’s not a waste of money, even buying used.

I bet if you show up at the range with your Benelli, somebody will offer to loan you a gun to use for a round or two.

Other than that, “head on the stock, eye on the rock.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:19 am 
Diamond Grade

Check with the range and see if they have rental guns and if so give different ones a try.
Also, check to see if they allow short barreled/tactical guns. Most ranges in SoCal no longer allow them.
I'd also see if the range has any type of "intro" course. Many have package that includes gun rental, shells and targets. That should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect and show you the ropes for the upcoming league.
FWIW, I started in a trap league a buddy dragged me out to and that was 40+ years ago...40 years, about a dozen guns, a shelf full of MEC reloaders, etc., etc.
:D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you are going to shoot trap, get a trap gun, not a light field gun ...it will kill you over time and you'll really regret it. At that price look for a Beretta 391 parallel target, or a regular 391 w a with an adjustable comb...with a 30" bbl. Or an A400. And get a clip-on shell catcher. Increase your budget just a bit to $1000 and you'll get a good gun, but not an O/U at that price.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:36 pm 
Field Grade

Check out what the others in the league are shooting. I've shot trap with a semi-auto, it does bother some other folks when you bounce shells off them...

But ask around there the range, someone there is probably trying to sell a trap gun right now. And try not to view the cost as lost, you're just parking your cash in a gun for a bit. When you're done (either quitting the game or moving on to another gun) you can probably sell it for what you paid... if it's a popular gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you do go with a slamamatic, be sure to add a shell catcher. Hitting the shooter to your right with empty cases will make it harder to become friends. Hitting his 20,000 dollar Pgun or Kgun with empty cases can end in a fist fight and or settlement.

Maltz