Shotgun Forum banner

20 gage shotgun after recovering from heart surgery

6K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  scooter123 
#1 ·
Well I got a little set back for a while, I just had open heart surgery, I am in recovery mode right now. The Doc said 3 to 4 months before my sternum heals completely, I am thinking a little longer before I ever pick up the gun. The wife gave me the go head and get a new gun if you can believe that. So I was thinking of getting a 20 gage, thinking the recoil will be a little lighter than my 12. I shot my friends 725 citori with his reloads seem like very little recoil compared to my 12 loads which I load 1oz shot pushing it around the 1,200 mark.

Do any shooters have any advice before picking up the gun again.

#27 ·
I've been there done that. Had a Mitral Valve repair and triple bypass on 10-9-2018. Got approval to resume shotgun shooting April 1, 2019 and started shooting my Beretta 686 Sporting that I purchased 1 month after the surgery. Note, at the time of my surgery I was 63, so if you are at a similar age plan on a similar recovery time, if you are over 70 plan on at least an additional month because healing does slow as we age. Note, I made sure to let my Heart Surgeon know that I was a Trap and Skeet shooter and was just fine adhering to his decisions on when I could safely resume shooting.

As for going with a 20 gauge that's a good idea for any high volume shooter because the 12 gauge can damage the shoulder. However I recently picked up a 687 SP III in 28/410 and must tell you that the 28 gauge is now my favorite caliber to shoot Skeet with. It's lighter by 2 lbs. than my 12 gauge and when my aim is true I get excellent breaks. As for the 410, shot with it after 3 rounds of practice with the 12 gauge and the difference in recoil was actually a bit of a shock. Don't hit that well with the 410 yet with the hits in the mid to high teens at this point but I am seeing gains every time I shoot it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.