ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dallas gun club
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:51 pm 
Field Grade

I am looking for a club for my kids and I to shoot trap, sporting clays and occasional skeet. We live in the nothern suburbs of Dallas TX. I have been thinking about joining the Dallas Gun Club. Its initiation and maintanence fees are pretty steep, but the facility is very nice, location is convient for us to shoot at. I would like to hear any pros and cons about the facility.

thanks

Post subject: Re: dallas gun club
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:45 pm 
Limited Edition

my dad used to be apart of that. he got out im not sure why he just said he didnt agree with some of the things they did.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:27 am 
Crown Grade

Great club, some of the most competitive shoots around. Great facility, gets some of the best instructors in the nation to come teach there. i.e., Todd Bender comes 2x/year. As you have said, steep price... initial fee is high, but that monthly fee really adds up.

bd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:45 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

drflyfish wrote:
I am looking for a club for my kids and I to shoot trap, sporting clays and occasional skeet. We live in the nothern suburbs of Dallas TX.

DGC may be a nice place but I can't even imagine, if money wasn't an issue, still paying those kinds of fees. And........I assume there's still quite a waiting list?

I haven't looked in awhile but look back a few pages on this site or see if their search function works better than it used to http://shooterspagetxforums.yuku.com/fo ... DUALS.html as there have been several memberships to DGC for sale there in the past.

Last thought, drop down to the SouthCentral section here, on SGW. Someone was talking about a new club opening, seems like up around Denton somewhere but I'm not sure and not familiar with that area. If you can't find the thread, put up a post in that forum------someone should have an idea by now.

But there's "Fossil Pointe" West of Denton, aways, I don't know how far that is for you and the mileage may make up the difference in membership to DGC (though I doubt it) but it's got DGC covered, in many ways, especially in Sporting. DGC will never have that capability.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:18 am 
Diamond Grade

DGC is a great place to shoot. However you can't just walk in and join. You have to buy an existing membership or wait for one to come open. The facility is top notch and everyone working there (except the manager) is really easy to deal with.

It used to cost $5,000 to join and $85 per month dues forever. I am not sure how much it costs now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

You might want to check the availability of memberships. We were speculating that we might see attrition after the August dues notice went out. I have been a member for 10 years and I have really enjoyed it. I show up on weekend mornings, have coffee with a bunch of friends, and then go shoot almost anything my heart fancies, with people I know, and whose gun safety I trust. Five or six years ago we were known as having the rudest counter guy in the state, but he is long gone and now I find everybody there to be very nice. The club would be a great way to introduce your son to shooting, and it is a great place to entertain a client. If you want to shoot there to get a feel, let me know, I would be happy to host you.

rickdm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 am 
Field Grade

You may want to check out the clubs in Grand Prarie, Waxahatchi, and Ft Worth. IMO they are nice places to shoot. I would see if your son is even going to be interested in shooting before dropping down the $$$ for the DGC The other clubs are not quite as country club like Dallas but alot more cost effective. May have a little bit of a drive but you won't have to pay all the fees of the DGC. Tell you son good luck and have fun, time spent on the range with a youngster is always a great time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:43 pm 
Utility Grade

In reference the Dallas Gun Club: I a member of the Dallas Gun Club on my second go-round after a break due to medical issues. I was extremely happy to rejoin a couple of years ago. Both memberships have been very good but my opinion is the club is more professionally managed now than it was 10 years ago.

I can tell you it is the finest shooting club I've ever been associated with. DGC has Trap, Skeet, Sporting, ZZ's, Bunker, and a great Rifle and Pistol Range. Additionally, the club has a first class instructor. In addition to the shooting, the club has a good restaurant and a private bar apre shoot. So, yes, it is expensive but you are getting a lot for your money. If you've ever considered country clubs or even private athletic clubs the price is not too high.

Our members are almost universally friendly and welcoming to new shooters. We have a great time especially during out league shoots.

Having said that, Elm Fork is a very good public club run by Scott Robertson and Marc Richman. The two of them have made Elm Fork a darn good faciility without the high cost of membership. They also have top flight instructors available.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First, anyone wondering about ranges/clubs should check out the locator (by state) on the NSSA site:

http://www.mynssa.com/net/club_search.aspx

Also google goes a long way

I live in DFW and recently got back into shooting skeet. There are seven shotgun facilities in the area, and I have visited each of them except NTSA, as I got lost out on the dirt roads, couldn't find the place with a large scale map, and finally gave up :shock: .

They all have skeet & trap at least. All except Ft Worth T&S also have Sporting Clays, 5 stand, as well as pistol/rifle ranges. Only Alpine is open 7 days a week. The rest are Wed-Sun, usually noon-6pm, 9-6 weekends, more or less.

http://www.dallasgunclub.com/

The most expensive by far: $100 application, $5,000 initiation, dues $85/mo. Don't know what they charge per round, but it ought to be free :D . It is a beautiful facility, a true country club, very high end, and centrally located in Lewisville off I-35E and 121. I believe it is private members (and guests) only at all times. Backlog to join and references required!

http://www.gpgc.net/

Grand Praire Gun Glub, members (and guests) only, except 3rd Saturday each month open to non-members for +$1/round. About 5 miles due south of DFW airport just south of 183/east of 360. Very nice location and setting, lots of trees, nowhere near as gucci as DGC. Buy a one time $750 "share" (which you resell when you quit). $150/yr dues, $3.50/round trap/skeet. Supposedly no backlog to join.

http://www.shootntsa.com/

North TX shooters Assoc, NTSA. In Sanger, about 15 miles north of Denton. 2 yr+ back log to join, kinda way out in the boonies, but I hear good things. I could find no price details. Too far away for me.

http://www.fortworthtrapandskeet.com/

Out way west at I-820W and I-20. Nice simple facility right off the interstate. Website has the clearest pricing (sometimes you really have to pry for this info):

Memebership dues:
$350 + Tax for the First Year
$175 + Tax Every year after that

Per round:
$7.00 + Tax for Non-members
$4.75 + Tax for Members
$44.50 + Tax for a 10 Round Punch Card (Members Only)
$85.00 + Tax for a 20 Round Punch Card (Members Only

And then there are the two public ranges that have no fees, other than per round for the targets. Just show up and shoot; no lessons, classes, applications, etc required. They'll even rent you guns, sell you (expensive) ammo, ear plugs, glasses, hats (but bring your own).

Probably the smartest deal until you are sure you are really going to commit to the sport with adequate money and time.

http://www.elmfork.com/

Elm Forks is right in Las Colinas (Luna Road and 114), clean, well fixed up, good rental Beretta 391's ($15) and 686's ($20). Little pricy but a great facility and very convenient. Only open Wed-Sun, 12-6, 9-6 weekends.

Skeet / Trap
$8.50 per round of 25 targets
*DISCOUNT: 10 rounds for $75.00

Sporting Clays
$26.00 for 50 targets
$42.90 for 100 targets
*DISCOUNT: $355.00 for 1000 targets

5 Stand
$8.95 per round of 25 targets
*DISCOUNT: 10 rounds for $79.50

http://www.alpinerange.com/range_information.htm

Best part of Alpine in it is open 8am-6pm 364 days a year, great gunshop, friendly staff. Facility is a little run down but the price is right. Pretty far south Ft Worth, I-820 SE corner/I-20 E/rte 287.

Skeet & Trap - $6.00 per round - Discount punch card 10 rounds
for $55.00
( 1, 5-stand field year round and 1 field, seasonal )
5-stand - $7.75 per rounds - Discount punch card 10 rounds for $70.00
( 1, 5-stand field year round and 1 field, seasonal )

Sport Clays - $35.00 per 100 Targets - $20.00 per 50 Targets Discount punch card 5- 100 target rounds $150.00

Manual Traps - $18.50 per 135 targets

Shotgun Rental (grab bag of used guns)- for range use $10.00ea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:53 pm 
Crown Grade

moocher wrote:
DGC is a great place to shoot. However you can't just walk in and join. You have to buy an existing membership or wait for one to come open. The facility is top notch and everyone working there (except the manager) is really easy to deal with.

It used to cost $5,000 to join and $85 per month dues forever. I am not sure how much it costs now.

Initiation is now $7,000, $90/month.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Reading other sites, adding as an FYI update for 2020, it's $8000 initiation fee, $3150 transfer fee if buying a membership for sale.

Monthly $173, nothing else is included.

Now watch this 10 year old thread zombie back to life!

Last edited by redi on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:46 am 
Tournament Grade

Let me second Fossil Point North of Decatur. I live in Plano, TX and shoot at Fossil Point once a week, and have done so for 3+ years. There is an 1 1/4 hour drive, but it is well run with relatively new facilities. They host wedding receptions at the main office location. It’s biggest plus is that it is in the country and is beautiful and quiet for a gun range. The owner is a former national champion sporting clays champion. The people are extremely nice and accommodating. They pander to sporting clays, but have 2 skeet/trap fields. I mainly shoot trap.

If the drive suits you and your kids, I think you will enjoy it. PM me if you are interested in the quickest routes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:26 pm 
Crown Grade

The OP asking the question was in 2009. I hope he has found a place to shoot by now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Kinda funny, the OP's "kids" are now 11 years older.

Also, rates have gone up, at least at Elm Fork.

Skeet / Trap / 5-Stand - $9.95 per round, 10 rounds for $89.50.
Sporting clays - $49.95 per 100 targets, 1000 targets for $449.50.

They have VIP pricing that's about 10% less but I think you have to pay monthly to get that.

https://www.elmfork.com/range-fees/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GPGC has a limited number of shares, and does not issue new ones, so you have to buy from an existing shareholder. The last share sold that I know of went for $1500; there is a waiting list. Dues are $125 a year, low because the Club is member-maintained. The Club is no longer open to the public on the third Saturday of the month. Skeet is $4 a round for members and $8 a round for non-members. Trap is the same. In addition to regular hours, the Club is open Saturday morning between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Keyholders have access, and if you want to shoot outside of regular hours, you contact a key holder who opens up, stays on the grounds while you are shooting and then closes up. MAJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:54 am 
Presentation Grade

It's amazing...Texas being so gun-friendly and a relatively cheap place to live, I never would've expected the crazy prices folks are charging for a round of clays down there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:57 pm 
Crown Grade

mpolans wrote:
It's amazing...Texas being so gun-friendly and a relatively cheap place to live, I never would've expected the crazy prices folks are charging for a round of clays down there.

What do you think a round of clays should cost?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:52 pm 
Field Grade

drawdc wrote:
mpolans wrote:

What do you think a round of clays should cost?

Well, at one of the clubs I shoot at in central VA, it's $3.50/25 targets, and at the other, it's $3.00/25 targets. Raw price for 25 White Flyer skeet/trap targets is right around $2.25 delivered around here. Club membership is in the $100-200/yr range for both of the clubs. Neither one has a staffed dining room or a bar, but I have access to nice skeet and trap facilities and two really nice SC courses, and it doesn't break the bank to shoot - a lot!

geo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

goodemachine wrote:
Well, at one of the clubs I shoot at in central VA, it's $3.50/25 targets, and at the other, it's $3.00/25 targets. Raw price for 25 White Flyer skeet/trap targets is right around $2.25 delivered around here. Club membership is in the $100-200/yr range for both of the clubs. Neither one has a staffed dining room or a bar, but I have access to nice skeet and trap facilities and two really nice SC courses, and it doesn't break the bank to shoot - a lot!

geo

In North Texas we do have a place called Arlington Sportsman's Club that's private and the rates are very good for T, S, and SC.

Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

[quote="mpolans"]It's amazing...Texas being so gun-friendly and a relatively cheap place to live, I never would've expected the crazy prices folks are charging for a round of clays down there.[/quote.]

Arlington Sportsman's Club is a private, members only club.

I don't consider $125 a year for membership dues and $4 a round I pay at GPGC to be particularly expensive. But then I also pay Dallas area property taxes, so perhaps my view is skewered.

The facilities that are open to non-members are for profit and the prices reflect that. Willing seller/willing buyer--the definition of fair market value. MAJ