ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 686 stock????
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

what is the difference in thickness of the stock between a sporting vs a field 686 white onyx? trying to figure out which model would give me the most cast off for a right hande shooter????????

Post subject: Re: 686 stock????
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I think they are the same ive been told that all the 680 series stocks and forends are interchangeable. If you are looking for more than they come with you can get an adjustable recoil pad that will give you more yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:49 am 
Crown Grade

The sporting stock is about 3mm thicker and about 5mm taller measured at the plate. I would guess that field stock would therefore have fractionally more cast off where it contacts your cheek.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:34 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

jakedawg50 wrote:
I think they are the same ive been told that all the 680 series stocks and forends are interchangeable. If you are looking for more than they come with you can get an adjustable recoil pad that will give you more yet.

If you need more cast off, you need an adjustable comb. An adjustable recoil pad is to adjust the placement of the recoil pad on your shoulder.

Ranger,

If you are planning to use the gun mainly for clays, get an adjustable comb. This can be done after market or at the time of purchase if the store has a gunsmith.

Talking with Joel Etchen and/or his gunsmith and getting your Beretta from them may be the way to go. Link to their website: http://www.joeletcheguns.com

NRA Life
NSCA Life + Level 1 Instructor
ATA Annual

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:07 am 
Presentation Grade

how do i know if my 686 Onyx has a field or sporting stock??
drop at the comb is 1 1/2, and drop at the heel is 2 3/8. does that sound like a field stock angle?
i am thinking a sporting stock should be more parrellel, right.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 am 
Crown Grade

tigmaned wrote:
how do i know if my 686 Onyx has a field or sporting stock??
drop at the comb is 1 1/2, and drop at the heel is 2 3/8. does that sound like a field stock angle?
i am thinking a sporting stock should be more parrellel, right.

You can check out representative dimensions at Cole's Beretta stock page.

https://colegun.com/beretta-680-682686-687-12-gauge-c-8_33_34_35.html?zenid=2e37a3a08f1c1630be790de8d57e96ed

Your dimensions match up to both field and sporting stocks. The Beretta field models typically come with a beavertail forend while the sporting models have the schnabel. A sporting stock is going to be maybe 3mm thicker and have a palm swell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

I belive, If you take your pad off and look in your stock, the sporting will have just the 7/8" bolt hole. While the field version will have a large oblong cavity in it. The thought being the field stock needs to be lighter.

-Ross

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:18 am 
Utility Grade

I followed the link to Cole's site and didn't find representative dimensions as outlined herein. My question pertains to the stocks on the Onyx guns. I have many silver pigeon guns and always thought the drop was too high. Resorted to filing down my stocks to gain some drop. I recently purchased a 686 Onyx in 20 gage at an estate sale for a loaner when friends come to Phoenix in the winter to hunt quail. I noticed this gun has a drop at heel of 2-1/2 inches and a drop at comb of 2 inches. Fits me great! Wondered how they accomplished this with the same size stock as a silver pigeon and saw the through bolt was at the top of the slot and not the middle like the silver pigeons so the through bolt stays in the center of the wrist of the lower stock. Has anyone got an Onyx with the standard dimensions stock they can measure drop at heel and comb as well as look at the location of the through bolt to confirm the greater drop on field guns. Am looking to buy an onyx 20 and 12 ga stock if the drops are as outlined on my onyx. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:54 pm 
Crown Grade

I followed the link to Cole's site and didn't find representative dimensions as outlined herein. My question pertains to the stocks on the Onyx guns. I have many silver pigeon guns and always thought the drop was too high. Resorted to filing down my stocks to gain some drop. I recently purchased a 686 Onyx in 20 gage at an estate sale for a loaner when friends come to Phoenix in the winter to hunt quail. I noticed this gun has a drop at heel of 2-1/2 inches and a drop at comb of 2 inches. Fits me great! Wondered how they accomplished this with the same size stock as a silver pigeon and saw the through bolt was at the top of the slot and not the middle like the silver pigeons so the through bolt stays in the center of the wrist of the lower stock. Has anyone got an Onyx with the standard dimensions stock they can measure drop at heel and comb as well as look at the location of the through bolt to confirm the greater drop on field guns. Am looking to buy an onyx 20 and 12 ga stock if the drops are as outlined on my onyx. Thanks

Maybe the problem is that the link is 11 years old.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am sitting here with a 12 gauge sporting stock and a 12 gauge field stock in hand. The sporting stock is about 1/8 inch thicker at the butt than the field stock. Neither stock is on a gun so I am just lining them up and guessing. It looks like both stocks have about the same drop at the front of the comb but the field stock has about 3/8 inch more drop at the heel. The sporting stock is about 1/2 inch pad length longer at the butt and the stocks use a different pad. My issue is that the standard Beretta stocks have too much drop for me. I put the field stock on a gun, mounted it once, and took it off because it had more drop than the sporting stock. Cast is going to be determined more by the cast built into the stock than by the thickness. I have been through multiple Beretta stocks and ended up putting an adjustable comb on my gun. I have it set with about 1/8 of inch offset or cast and about 1/8 inch rise to get a 50/50 pattern. Hard to find that much variation in a factory stock. The sporting stock I am holding now had the cast but was low. Both of these stocks have some cast and the bolt hole is to the left of the center line. Only the field stock has a "slot".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Have it bent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

The BIGGEST difference is that the Sporing butt stock has a palm swell. The field stock does not. That's the sure way to tell them apart.