ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: XD Solutions Review
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:40 pm 
Field Grade

Ok,I thought I would post a new thread so as to at least not hijack the Eye Taping thread.Recently I started shooting sporting clays and the patch was working against me in the wooded environment.
So I bit the bullet and ordered the XD Soulution for cross dominant shooters.Before I get down to the nitty gritty you should know I was initially apprehensive because I did not like the aesthetics and assumed it would be cumbersome and difficult to deal with.That turned out to be an insignificant issue entirely.
All I can say is that it was nothing short of AMAZING and exceeded my expectations.It was a game changer at least for me anyways.Not only did my "ghost barrel" go away but at some point shooting five stand this morning I finally had the experience that so far I have only read about in the forum.Like magic,both barrels disappeared!I was aware of nothing but just the bird and my focus on it! That was not my experience yet consistently but it happened numerous times.The experienced shooters who would tell you they don't "see" anything but the bird are NOT pulling your leg.
Since nothing has changed about my game other than this was the first time I used the XD then I must attribute my success to it.Incidentally,we did not score our two rounds of 5 Stand but it was the first time I broke the rabbit,although I do have trouble with it,but all the teals and almost all of the other high flying targets were pure toast.
After 5 stand my shooting partner and I moved over to the skeet field and did keep scores there.I had not shot skeet in about a month or so.First round I chalked up a 20 and the second round was a 23.Better than what I normally do.
In closing I will say I am keeping it and will likely order another for a separate gun as I am just not going to try and move it now that it is installed.The one negative thing I will mention is that the blade post or either the blade holder screw should have been an easy to operate thumb screw to make removal of the blade or post a non-event.
I don't like having to keep up with an allen wrench and will attempt to modify mine to either a thumb screw or pick up a straight drive allen/sockett in the correct size for greater ease of use.It is important to add that the initial installation of the device was quick and easy.
I have some concern as to how long the blade will last and am not sure if replacement blades can be bought separately or not.If not,I believe I could come up with something that would serve the purpose.
Of course your results might not be the same as mine but in my opinion it was worth what I paid for it and I will continue to use it.Hope this review was helpful.

Post subject: Re: XD Solutions Review
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A link is usually a good idea if you are going to write a review ;) Also, you can usually grab images and embed them off the manufacturer site too.

Link: http://xdsolution.com

Pics:

I don't need or use it personally, but it appears to be an outstanding training aid for instructors to have in their bag when addressing a new shooter with cross dominance issues.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Fivetango....It should have came with enough blades to last a life time!

FWIW...I hated the plastic blades...they just glowed in front of my eye. I spray painted mine a light grey color, which did two things...1. It stopped the light glow or light shining through the blade 2. it made the blade blend into the sky. That could just be a "me" thing....a frosted dot always excited my brain/eyes, but a black one makes everything calm down.

Like you, it did not take long for it to become natural. I think it is a good, well made product.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:39 am 
Field Grade

Yes,it came with several blades of different heights and widths.Some are too short to work.The tall ones can be trimmed down so theoretically I can go thru a total of four blades before I need one.Since I placed an order for another unit to put on a separate gun that is not an issue but I sure wish there was a way to remove either the post or the blade without having to fumble with that allen wrench.It has made a difference in my game already;even after just one outing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

It is hard for me to imagine how one occluder doesn't work for you and then, as if by magic, another occluder does. If you say it does, I'll take your word for it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have you tried the Uni-Dot? It is a much less obtrusive piece of equipment and works very well. The off eye can't see the fiber optic front bead at all.

It works even if you don't have a cross dominance issue.

http://www.uni-dot.com/home/fiber-optic-sights.php

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Have you tried the Uni-Dot? It is a much less obtrusive piece of equipment and works very well. The off eye can't see the fiber optic front bead at all.

It works even if you don't have a cross dominance issue.

http://www.uni-dot.com/home/fiber-optic-sights.php

I shot with one of those for a few months and it worked OK on trap like targets where the gun is right there with bird like Low 7....I could see the target, I could see the glowing ball. After the target broke, all I saw was the glowing ball...just training myself to look at the bead. If there is a bead on a gun, it better be black or I will look at it

On crossing shots 3,4,5 in skeet, my eye was too far away from the gun to see the glow worm....the left eye would say fine, I got this, Lost. It just did not work for me and that's just me. It does seem to work fine for some folks.

IMO, the XD is ugly as sin hanging out there on the side of a gun. But, it works very well, and that is the beauty of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mismost wrote:
On crossing shots 3,4,5 in skeet, my eye was too far away from the gun to see the glow worm....the left eye would say fine, I got this, Lost. It just did not work for me and that's just me. It does seem to work fine for some folks.

LOL, then it appears that you missed the message that the Uni-Dot was sending you. If you can't see the red dot, then your head is off the stock or out of position in some way. Rather than ignoring the message, it would be better to call for that target again, and be DAMM sure your head is glued to the stock this time. If it is, you'll have no trouble seeing the red dot while you learn to keep your head on the stock. You CAN see the target and the red dot at the same time in spite of what some nay-sayers will try to tell you.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:09 pm 
Field Grade

Here is my exact experience with cross dominance issues.I tried the eyepatch Browning markets as the "Magic Dot".It worked great on trap and skeet.When I went to the woods on sporting clays it was pretty obvious it was occluding some vision and impairing target acquisition.Shooting into the westward sun did not help either.Yes,I have a unidot and thought I could use it without my eyepatch.
I found that without the patch I was still getting a "ghost barrel."It was still confusing.But with the eyepatch I must say Unidot did confirm my head was on the stock.However,keeping a cheek weld has never really been an issue for me.So,desperate to find a solution,I tried the XD Solution and used it without the eyepatch.I have only used it on one outing which was 5 Stand and Skeet.Not only did my ghost barrel go away,on a number of shots I had a "breakthrough" I had only heretofore read about in this forum whereby my barrels just disappeared and it was just my eye,cheek weld,and the bird in the equation.Birds broke everytime when that little miracle occurred.So I purchased two more of them so each of my club guns has it's own device.I take the blade off and on with the wrench but am going to see if I can fine tune the screw such that I can slip the blade on and off without fumbling with the wrench.Bottom line,I felt the XD Solution was a game changer for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:35 am 
Utility Grade

The XD was a waste of time and money for me. Luckily I found another shooter who was willing to buy my $55 kit (with shipping) for half price to see if it worked for him.

My cross dominance is strong on fast moving targets. I set up the XD as instructed and tried it on 3 separate occasions. I even made some larger blades from the same material as the originals. While waiting to call for a target, the gadget works fine...my right eye is dominant. But as soon as I start to swing to the moving target, the target disappears and I found myself seeing only the back of the plastic blade. If I closed my left eye quickly, the target reappeared, but usually not where I wanted it to be. Call for the target with my left eye closed and I can see it wherever it goes.

The most annoying thing about the XD is the sellers attitude that "I'm sorry you don't like it. I have your money. So try to sell it to someone else because I don't do refunds!"

Black hockey tape in my off lens works perfectly and cost a lot less than this gadget.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:23 am 
Field Grade

Dear Mr. Watson,

Sorry to hear that the XD product did not workout for you. Unfortunately there is no record whatsoever of you buying our product, or contacting us with an issue.

When did you buy it? Did you use a different name? Are you sure that you are referring to the XD Solution gadget?

The return policy that you described doesn't match with our policy, so I'm a bit puzzled about the validity of your statements. Maybe you can shed some light. Feel free to contact me here or in private.

Andrei Erdoss
Co-inventor of XD Solution

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:25 pm 
Field Grade

I am not trying to push the XD Solution on anybody.Today I took the uni dot off my 20 gauge because it started to "lift up" and once you get used to not focusing on the barrel all you need is the white bead.Some people recommend taking it off as well.Sometimes the theory that "less is more" holds true.
All I know is that the elusive goal I had of "making the barrel go away" as one focuses on the bird is happening to me now with increased regularity.I will never go back to eye tape or dots again because I have the use of both eyes now.The reflex to "look down the barrel" is strong but I am breaking the habit.Maybe I am doing what I heard Gil Ash recommend on YouTube when he said,"Look across the barrel".It's a great day when the barrel just sorta goes away.
So,yes,my results with the XD Solution has been better than anything else I have tried.And I have gotten a little less cumbersome on the install once I beefed up the allen wrench with a makeshift handle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:08 pm 
Field Grade

Here's a postscript to my earlier review of the XD Solution.It only gets better!I open email the other day and they have offered me a discount on the "new improved edition" and boy did I jump on it!The new model totally eliminates the aggravating little cumbersome allen wrench altogether because the blade holder is a simple and easy friction device to hold the blade.The device attaches more easily to the trigger guard with a handy little "roller skate key" type of device that you may carry on your key ring.Talk about user friendly.The only suggestion I could make now is to offer us a retrofit post for the older models with the friction device separately as many of us XD Solution fans have too many units to replace them all.I still prefer the black original color of the old units as opposed to the new chrome ones but that is just a personal preference.In any event,no more "ghost barrel".Works for me...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Thanks for your reviews.
I ordered a kit today and hope it works.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:55 am 
Presentation Grade

it is interesting that a post a year ago is still causing people to buy the XD solutions. umm?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I used to be a pretty good trap shooter. Lately my eyes have been cross firing and my shooting is depressing. I am looking for something to help me return to my former skills. If not, I'll probably give up clay shooting and go back to shooting rifles and handguns.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've got one of these I'll sell if anybody is interested. I got it as a teaching aid and find it too troublesome to swap on and off multiple students guns. Great for a single shooter though. How does $25 shipped sound?

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JacksBack wrote:
I've got one of these I'll sell if anybody is interested. I got it as a teaching aid and find it too troublesome to swap on and off multiple students guns. Great for a single shooter though. How does $25 shipped sound?

Are you trying to "pay" someone to take it off your hands :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hmmm. It's like $40 new plus shipping, so I figured $25 shipped was fair.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:02 am 
Utility Grade

JacksBack wrote:

Hi Jack, I will take the XD solution if it’s still available. I am in Silicon Valley too. I can pick up or meet you in Coyote Clays. Please PM. Thanks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next