ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Setting up Honda Pioneer 500 for sporting clays
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:08 am 
Tournament Grade

I recently sold my EZ Go Clays car. It was set up with Scabbard Technologies and Rugged Gear gun racks. Could hold 7 shotguns. I am purchasing a Honda Pioneer 500 later this week. Has anyone out there purchased a Pioneer 500 and set it up for sporting clays? I'm interested in accessories you picked. Gun racks and placement, bed, baskets and boxes, etc.

Post subject: Re: Setting up Honda Pioneer 500 for sporting clays
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am curious to see what you come up with. I was strongly considering a pioneer by decided if I wanted room for more than 2 passengers it would not work well. Grizzly Metalworks makes a rear facing seat which is nice but it does not leave much room for guns/Ammo/storage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

R--As you know I have a 4 seater Honda 700.

I found Honda to have nothing that I liked , but I also found aftermarket providers that had a good selection of gear. Google is your friend.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a sure grip 4 gun rack in the bed of my Pioneer 700. Works like a charm, even in duck season.

(These are my dogs, not shotguns) :)

NSCA # 517xxx (since 9/7/94)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Here is the list of things I installed on my Pioneer 500:
Front basket from UTV Headquarters. Specific fit for Pioneer 500. Only downside is you have to unbolt the basket from the bracket to access the front from coolant check, etc.
Mudbuster fender flares for front fenders only. Even stock tires sprayed muddy water on sides of vehicle, saw no need for rear flaps
DeeZee M207 Specialty ATV Tool box. Big enough for usable dry storage for shooting bags, coats, etc.
Scabbard Technologies Gun Scabbards Made brackets from 1/4"x 1-1/2" steel flatbar and 1-3/4" stainless ubolts.
Made a rear bed myself. Could not find an aftermarket bed to suit me. Bed is large enough to bolt down the tool box plus room for someone to sit for the rare occaision of a 3rd person. Bed dimensions are 48" wide by 29" deep. Bed is constructed of 23/32 exterior plywood and 1x6 sides, painted with Rustoleum oil base paint. Super durable.
Nothing fancy but suits my needs very well. Next addition will be rear view mirror and possibly small dry storage in cab.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice job :) The only concern I have is the Bbl's up above the cab. Here where I am (East TX) some low limbs come into play and could knock the gun out of the holders and possibly not good things happen to it.

Has happened to me and it just knocked my gun into the bed of the Ranger and no dents or dings. :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:31 am 
Tournament Grade

I totally agree about the barrel height. I was waiting for the fender flares before lowering the gun scabbards. When I lower them I will also tilt them back a little bit too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

R-- tell me where the extra set of keys are so I cna "borrow it."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:11 am 
Tournament Grade

I had a 4-gun rack for my 2011 then 2015 Teryx from I think Great Days that on first glance looks like a perfect fit for your custom bed.

I think your rig looks just right and will be interested on how well it works out for you. The nearest Honda dealer is in the next state and is very small. I hope to see one on the courses someday.

Honda quality and value are never an issue

Thanks for sharing.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:27 am 
Tournament Grade

R - any updated pictures?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

The only thing I have done since taking the above pictures is set the gun scabbards about 5" lower. I was waiting on the mudbuster fender flares. You can see the fender flares in the top picture. Now guns won't extend above the roof. I bought the standard flares which extend 2-3". They make a set of extended flares that extend 3-4". I probably should have ordered those. Can you have too much fender flare?

It is presently tucked in the garage behind lawn furniture, etc. We have been enjoying Hurricane Barry this weekend!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Stay safe. Let’s see it once you finish it. Any thoughts of adding rear facing seats? Grizzly Metalworks makes a trick set.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:22 pm 
Limited Edition

I’m currently waiting on 2 - QD800 vertical racks from Great Day to setup my 6 passenger Kawasaki Mule DXT. Barrels past the roof height is also a big concern for me. The QD800 rack can be adjusted vertically (more lean). My plan is to mount them inside the bed on a slightly raised platform held in by the bed guides and opposed to each other forming an “X” view from the back. If my measurements and mounting idea works, it should work out pretty good. I also have the mounting platform planned to hold 2 flats between the racks to carry ammo and add stability. We shall see ....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:53 pm 
Limited Edition

The "X" mounting idea didn't pan out, the racks needed to be adjusted with severe lean to keep barrels below the roof line. I was also hoping to mount the racks opposed so one barrel from the opposing rack fit between the barrels of the other, just not enough clearance IMO especially with guys placing them in the racks at the same time.

My sons were right when they wanted conventional rear mounted rack so this is what I came up with using the bed divider slots in my Mule for placement and stability. I thought the flat storage would assist with stability but after it going together it doesn't need it at all. It's solid with guns in it with just the base I made. I have room for another rack but I don't see hauling more than 4 even with the 6 seater capacity.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am considering a Honda 500 for my Sporting Clays cart.

Any updates on this thread? My primary concern is a tournament approved gun racks.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I pulled the trigger on a new Honda 500 the day before departing for Utah State. Followed that tournament with a 2 day at my home club near Alamosa, Co.

It fit in my Toy Hauler better than my EZGO. I didn't have any accessories for the Honda and in fact used an old soft top off my Ranger and an umbrella that I use for antelope and turkey. I ordered all the doo-dads yesterday and hope to have it properly outfitted by this weekend. Kansas State dern near wore my EZGO out. Anybody want to buy a very nice used EZGO?

For those in the know, is there a specific tool you can buy to remove the plug like devices that hold body panels together on the Honda, besides a screwdriver?

Thanks,

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:26 am 
Crown Grade

Another source for tool/accessory boxes for golf carts and UTVs is RDS Aluminum:
http://www.rdsaluminum.com/toolbox-misc.html
Just a FYI

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have you guys found that the scabbards shake due to Interstate hwy winds. One of my 2 brackets broke due to side to side stress , while travelling down I 10.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

As to scabbards, I have talked to several before I went a different way; they both mentioned water retention and grit and dirt retention from dust on dirt paths as major factors for not using them. I have no personally knowledge, but I know those folks and believe them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:32 am 
Limited Edition

My friend who has the scabbards always removes them from his cart for transport. I just bought a Polaris Ranger 1000 and have ordered the Sure Grip 3800 for it. Got a roof and a few other things coming as well.