ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BT-99, cheap O/U, auto, or wait?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:50 pm 
Field Grade

JUST started trap shooting. Currently using my Mossberg 600 (think Mossberg 500), which has a 28" barrel, a polychoke, and a non-parellel comb. Fine for now, but not a trap gun. At all.

I have a line on a flawless BT-99 (couple hundred rounds shot) for $750. I could also get a cheapo Turkish O/U like a Mossberg Silver Reserve II, a CZ, a slightly used Weatherby, etc. for that money that would work if I ever want to do doubles. Or I could save for a Remington 1100 Competition, that I know I could adjust to fit.

My range won't have any rentals until COVID is over.

Given that I'm so new, would you suggest:

1. Going for the BT-99
2. Getting a cheapo O/U and shooting it to death
3. Sticking with the pump for now and saving for either the auto or saving longer for a 101/Citori/Silver Pigeon/etc.

Post subject: Re: BT-99, cheap O/U, auto, or wait?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you plan on shooting singles only, then absolutely get the BT-99. If you plan to shoot doubles, save up and get a good O/U like a CXT. Forget about option number 2 altogether. A cheap over and under is never worth the trouble you buy with the money you saved.

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post which any human power can give."Thomas Jefferson, 1788

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you don't buy the 99 for 750.00, I would..... Could make 150.00 at the club next day.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:46 am 
Tournament Grade

I agree. That’s a heck of a price on a flawless, nearly-new BT, even if it’s the basic one without the adjustable stock. (Unless perhaps the “micro medallion” youth version. But even those go for more than that.)

Does it fit you? Non-adjustable BT-99s fit me like a glove, so I’d be all over that. Even if you go on to buy another gun someday soon, it’s good to have a spare BT.

Also keep in mind that the gun panic / shortage is starting to affect sporting shotguns as well. I notice supplies on the shelves are dwindling and prices are less likely to be “on sale”. All the more reason to throw $750 at that seller ASAP.

Last edited by HenryVac on Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:55 am 
Limited Edition

Definitely buy the BT 99, perfect gun for singles, then if you decide you really love the game save for a good OU. Most people who buy cheap ones soon upgrade losing money in the process. Work on your singles game then try doubles if you like trap that much.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buy the BT-99. Go shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:24 am 
Presentation Grade

BT-99 is a great gun for Trap singles.
Cheapo over/under guns are a recipe for disappointment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:01 pm 
Crown Grade

The only option from your list worth considering is the BT-99.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

BT-99. With it you can shoot singles and handicap. That's a good start into the game. If/when you've decided you really love trap and want also to shoot doubles, hopefully by then you would have saved up for a Browning CXT or better O/U for doubles. Leave the cheap Turkish and Italian O/Us alone. You won't be happy with them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:04 pm 
Field Grade

Exchanged a couple of emails with the seller of the BT-99. Sounds a little sketchy. Think I'm going to walk away.

However, a local dealer has a 1976 BT-99 (one of the RR "High shooters") for $700, and is willing to take a trade of my Mossberg pump and extra barrel toward most of it.

Going to see it this afternoon, but from our talk on the phone:
  • It's the 32" full choke version
  • It locks up tight
  • someone ground down a bit of engraving on the trigger guard (as if a previous owner had a name engraved -- maybe an angry spouse did it. :) )--but nothing functional harmed.
  • Lever is at about 5:30.

Any thoughts, if it all turns out as expected?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Any good condition BT-99 is hard to beat for trap, especially at $700. Pretty sure you could get a replacement TG, or just polish and re-blue the one that's on it. If you find the 32" isn't quite long or heavy enough, you could buy a Pure-Gold choke in whatever constriction you wanted to stretch it out a bit.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:17 am 
Limited Edition

JacksBack wrote:
Any good condition BT-99 is hard to beat for trap, especially at $700. Pretty sure you could get a replacement TG, or just polish and re-blue the one that's on it. If you find the 32" isn't quite long or heavy enough, you could buy a Pure-Gold choke in whatever constriction you wanted to stretch it out a bit.

I'm guessing the previous owner removed the "Buckmark" Browning website lists a new blued trigger guard for about $55

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm 
Crown Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
BT-99 is a great gun for Trap singles.
Cheapo over/under guns are a recipe for disappointment.

^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:19 pm 
Field Grade

REPORT!

A friend and I went out for our first rounds of trap today (after a private lesson 2 weeks ago).

In our first round, I had a really good run with 9/10 to start, and finished with an 18. For my first round ever (and second time shooting a shotgun of any sort), I'll take it! The BT-99 was AMAZING, despite being 44 years old. Everyone at the club was fantastic. Great advice, and a person we'd never met before loaned my friend (whose gun doesn't come in for another few days) an O/U. Lots of good socially distant socializing, really chill vibe.

Plus that one behind the back catch of an empty that someone actually witnessed. :)

We both decided we're doing this until we can't do it any more. MEC reloading press in my near future.

I can't say enough good things about the folks at Seattle Skeet and Trap Club--and the Browning!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:44 pm 
Field Grade

I started my trap shooting career with a bt99 . Got an adjustable comb put on it and a gracoil reducer and went to work .
Biggest mistake I made was was buy a 725 combo . I would be shooting in the high 90s bu now .Bt99 great gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:19 pm 
Utility Grade

my 2 Canadian cents, started trap shooting last year (after yearly visit to tune-up for the bird season) and became an addict, shooting now ~two flats a week.
Started with cheap Turkish (Khan Arms) Artemis (poor workmanship, had to do some gunsmithing myself) but it fitted me well and got my 1st 25 strait with it. The firing pin broke after around 2k shells, luckily the distributor I bought directly from credited me for it and I upgraded to Bettinsoli X-9 sporting. Well made, balanced and pleasing to the eye ($2300CND), shot my 1st 50 strait with it (flirting with 75 :) . Lasted about ,5-6k loads and stopped working the U barrel, Inertia block got worn down on that side, a bit early I thought, ordered the parts and bought a new BT-99 B&C 34" ($2600CND with taxes), added about 8oz to the stock, put a smaller front bead (sporting I'm shooting without bead), LOP was a bit too long so now stock is shorter, just yesterday I lightened the trigger pull by 1lb to 4.5 and I'm eager to try it with this modification tomorrow.
Before I bought it I tried some well appointed used singles for sale, but I'm very happy (so far) I bought this one.
Italian one, now fixed, will get me into doubles and skeet.