ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bunker gun vs. off the shelf over/under???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:54 pm 
Utility Grade

A few weeks ago I shot some bunker for the first time with one of my 870s. I really enjoyed it, and I was kind of good at it. Although I own a ton of different shotguns, I don’t actually own a 12 gauge over/under. I’m now finding myself in the market for a 12 gauge O/U.

So what’s the big difference between a bunker gun, and a standard over/under?

Post subject: Re: Bunker gun vs. off the shelf over/under???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Most bunker guns tend to have 30" barrels, with low or flat ribs and are choked Improved Modified for the first barrel and Full for the second barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Having a parallel comb to the bore on the stock is standard equipment for target guns, A tapered comb will be standard on a field gun. An adjustable comb on either helps the shooter set the POI to better center patterns on moving targets, clay or feather.

Target guns in general have better triggers, even for different models in the same frame. Manufacture makes a better effort on target grade models and will generally price higher.

Bunker trap models will be configured differently than standard American trap models. There are thousands and thousands more American trap fields available to shooters nation wide than bunker, as well as 10's of thousands more shooters participating in thousands more organized events to attend.

Maltz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Richard--what do you think "bunker" means?

Very few places that have a true bunker trap field.

Since I rarely get to shoot bunker , I use my every-other-game gun. It has 32 inch bbls , a sloped stock and I have won at SC, Fitasc, Helice and pigeons. It shoots very close to 50/50.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:37 pm 
Crown Grade

A standard O/U with an adjustable comb would do just fine. With the adj comb you could set it up for any game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:06 pm 
Utility Grade

sera wrote:

Since I rarely get to shoot bunker , I use my every-other-game gun. It has 32 inch bbls , a sloped stock and I have won at SC, Fitasc, Helice and pigeons. It shoots very close to 50/50.

I shotgun at Redlands Shooting Park (in Southern California), and they installed a full Bunker facility about 2 or 3 years ago. After a few rounds with my 870, I realized I really need a 12 gauge over/under.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:33 am 
Presentation Grade

PoorRichRichard wrote:
I shotgun at Redlands Shooting Park (in Southern California), and they installed a full Bunker facility about 2 or 3 years ago. After a few rounds with my 870, I realized I really need a 12 gauge over/under.

I don't know you or your history with shooting clay targets other than you arrived on the bunker field with the 870, lets see if I can figure this out. At this point in time you can't handle the target speed and angles of bunker and it's beating you on the first shot, you are counting on the second shot and you can't operate the 870 fast enough and be on target. Am I close ?

IMO you should work on and worry about the first shot above all, if you can't get the first shot down with the 870 you will find no magic with the O/U other than you can start the second shot of spray & pray faster than the pump gun. That being said if you are looking for a reason for getting the O/U now would be a good time too do so. One of the SC O/U would be my choice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:37 am 
Presentation Grade

Rack-N-Roy wrote:
PoorRichRichard wrote:

I don't know you or your history with shooting clay targets other than you arrived on the bunker field with the 870, lets see if I can figure this out. At this point in time you can't handle the target speed and angles of bunker and it's beating you on the first shot, you are counting on the second shot and you can't operate the 870 fast enough and be on target. Am I close ?

IMO you should work on and worry about the first shot above all, if you can't get the first shot down with the 870 you will find no magic with the O/U other than you can start the second shot of spray & pray faster than the pump gun. That being said if you are looking for a reason for getting the O/U now would be a good time too do so. SC O/U would be my choice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Richard--do you have a spare room?? I could stay w/ you when I shot bunker :D

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

sera wrote:
Richard--do you have a spare room?? I could stay w/ you when I shot bunker :D

Are you going to Houston this weekend. Big doings. I hope it doesn’t become a super spreader.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

PoorRichRichard wrote:
sera wrote:

So which direction are you leaning?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not to be a spoil-sport, but the ISSF rules prevent the use of a pump. So go ahead and get an OU.

The "standard" bunker gun is 30" or 32" and needs to be nimble and quick, but not too light. It needs to fit you very well, so that with acceptable cheek weld you keep your eyes well aligned. Most have a low to mid rib. Also remember bunker loads are 24g, so you end up with tighter chokes. In learning, almost any OU will work, if you're willing to understand that once (if) you get serious you'll move to a higher OU anyway.

Due to the quickness necessary, there's a bunch of eye work that needs to be done to train where to hold, how long to hold, etc. While your eyes are learnging to see the front edge of the target every time, you'll be working on a smooth compact move without extraneous effort that causes you to punch over top.

Bunker is tough and addictive. Enjoy the ride and be willing to adapt.