ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anything magic about shooting gloves?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Those Gun Gloves look similar to the basic Mechanix Gloves and do not seem to offer anything so extraordinary over golf gloves for 8X the price

Foot Joy golf gloves run around $12 to $20 apiece. 2 gloves are going to cost at least $25. In order for the Gun Gloves to cost 8X as much you would have to be buying a pair of golf gloves for $4.50. The Gun Glove is much thinner than a golf glove and is absolutely nothing like the Mechanix gloves. Have you tried them?

Post subject: Re: Anything magic about shooting gloves?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mechanix Wear also makes thinner gloves more appropriate for shooting. The 0.5mm High Dexterity Covert MSD-055 has worked well for me during summer. The do seem to run very small, much more so than their sizing charts advise. After several washings are holding up very well.

For cooler wether the FootJoy Wintersof golf glove is a favorite. I get them a half size large so can pair with thin glove liners.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:36 pm 
Crown Grade

drawdc wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
Those Gun Gloves look similar to the basic Mechanix Gloves and do not seem to offer anything so extraordinary over golf gloves for 8X the price

Foot Joy golf gloves run around $12 to $20 apiece. 2 gloves are going to cost at least $25. In order for the Gun Gloves to cost 8X as much you would have to be buying a pair of golf gloves for $4.50. The Gun Glove is much thinner than a golf glove and is absolutely nothing like the Mechanix gloves. Have you tried them?

I do not buy Footjoy gloves and I wait until the golf warehouse has their dump table full of gloves for cheap - they work fine, so I have no need to try something more expensive when golf gloves have been working fine for me for over 35 years.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
drawdc wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

I do not buy Footjoy gloves and I wait until the golf warehouse has their dump table full of gloves for cheap - they work fine, so I have no need to try something more expensive when golf gloves have been working fine for me for over 35 years.

Fair enough. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:00 pm 
Field Grade

FWIW - I don't like golf gloves. I'm not happy with the grip - they seem slippery to me. The best I've found are either Orvis leather shooting gloves or baseball batting gloves. The batting gloves are a lot less expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Damn near ANYTHING will be less expensive than something from Orvis

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:30 am 
Crown Grade

I'm a dedicated glove wearer for many reason reasons. First, it prevents more sun damage to my hands the same way wearing long sleeved shirts and broad brimmed hats helps keep the skin cancer at bay. At age 79, I've developed that old man thin skin that seems to bleed at the slightest ding, gloves help prevent that when bird hunting in the rough stuff. Gloves also protect my SXS's from getting the bluing, case hardening and finish damage from the harmful chemicals in the hand sweat. Being as I shoot clays to be a better bird shot to avoid the nasty looks from my bird dogs, I like to wear gloves when clay shooting to keep the feel the same. My choice for gloves are the Gunglove lightweight and midweight for milder temps and Bob Allen Thinsulate leather gloves when it turns cold.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:32 am 
Field Grade

I love shooting gloves... they just feel right. Got a pair of Magpul Tacticals that I particularly love. Also a fan of PIG.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I wear gloves to protect the gun finish, and like the extra grip on the gun they provide. I use Gripswell gloves they last forever, mine are going on 10 years old, but need to be replaced.

cdb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:05 pm 
Limited Edition

All I know is gloves keep my hands clean and don't have to wash them after shooting.... Grade6man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Myself and some of my squad have been wearing the Mechanix specialty vent. Thin, good fit and I find them a bit sticky so I seem to have a consistent grip on the gun. Reasonably priced, usually less than 25 bux. I'm on my second season with the current pair.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Hummy585 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:48 pm 
Utility Grade

+1 on what one ounce said. Decent golf gloves wear well and don't cut into the beer budget. I do prefer the synthetic sort of golf glove when I run one of my 60 year old Winchester pump guns. Worn, rolled checkering doesn't give much to grip onto. I also personally don't give a rats butt what other shooters think of my kit. Esp when I beat their scores. :twisted:

NRA Life and Benefactor
U.S. Navy carrier flight crew - Viet Nam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:32 am 
Tournament Grade

I get golf gloves. Not so much for grip but my left hand gets hot from the barrel. I have a nice pair of Bob Allen leather shooting gloves I wear for hunting. They are definitely worth a look.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:26 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:

I agree that "the gun gloves" are expensive but they hold up way better than any other glove I have used. In fact, I have two summer weight pair and one winter weight pair and have never worn any of them out. My older pair of summer weights are 6-7 years old now and still usable. My winter weights are 3-4 years old and look like new.

I was ruining 2 pair of Bob Allen mesh backed gloves a season before I went to these.

I have shot mostly autoloaders over the 11 years of shooting for me and the right thumb on gloves takes a beating while loading....until the gun gloves.

In general, gloves are my preference for a good comfortable grip on the gun and a little protection from abrasives and the heat of the barrels.

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:43 am 
Crown Grade

The "magic" is they keep your hands off the hot barrels when shooting sporting clays!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

Also the "magic" thing about the Gunglove is you can toss them in the washing machine to get rid of the goat smell during the summer or the bird blood and guts during hunting season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:43 pm 
Crown Grade

The only reason I ever use gloves is to keep my hands from freezing! The ones made for duck hunters (I try to hunt everything) are the best. Some have a slit for your trigger finger & others have the trigger finger made or partly made of a thin fabric. Finding them in left hand can be a problem but you can modify them. The only time I wear sun protection is when I'm fishing. It is a foregone conclusion that a duck gun is going to see some exposure to the elements. I resort to other methods to protect my guns & don't shoot my most cherished guns in the worst conditions! When there is time, you can pull the glove off the trigger hand. I almost lost the biggest buck I ever killed because of a glove. He busted out of the brush in full afterburner & I couldn't get my finder in the trigger guard of my 30" Elsey. Fortunately I was able to pull the glove off in my teeth & still put the entire load of 12, "OO" buck in his heart & lung area!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I like racquetball gloves, perforated and remain tackie when wet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:59 am 
Presentation Grade

Just curious: Do any of you folks feel that, with a glove on, you lose some trigger control? In the winter I wear a heavy mitton while I wait to shoot. When I step on the station take the glove off. In the summer I wear golf gloves, but I cut off the top of the trigger finger.

Randy