ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trap gun for sporting
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I am after some advice pls.
My gun setup needs to be more of a trap setup, monte carlo stock and adjustable combe.
So would it be better if I used a dedicated trap gun.
I shoot skeep.and sporting
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Trap gun for sporting
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shoot a Browning sporting clays special for all the games. When I shoot trap type targets I just stack the beads to make a figure 8 and it works for me.good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jdsniper wrote:
I am after some advice pls.
My gun setup needs to be more of a trap setup, monte carlo stock and adjustable combe.
So would it be better if I used a dedicated trap gun.
I shoot skeep.and sporting
Thanks

Use whatever type gun works for you. I used a trap gun to get to AA Class in NSCA sporting clays, so it can be done. If a trap gun fits your shooting style, then go for it.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Trap shooters tend to develop a preference to see the target during the shot or use guns that have a higher POI. That same subconscious preference is being used shooting skeet or sport. Many shoot a trap gun for everything. POI set lower (60-40%) for flat targets and higher (70-30 or 80-20%_ for raising targets.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:38 am 
Crown Grade

Trap guns for sporting are quite common in this country. Lots of people want a so-called high shooting gun as it's much easier to point than a flat gun and is also less likely to cause 'off eye' takeover or aiming syndrome.

Personally, I like to have my line of sight above the rib and whilst I don't shoot any skeet I wouldn't change anything if I did.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:42 am 
Utility Grade

Many thanks for the reply so far

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A contrary view, sorry...

Trap guns are fine for casual sporting clays. And you can even make Master class locally shooting one. However if you plan to compete at the top of the game in M class, you will want a gun set up to shoot flatter than a typical trap gun at 70-30 or 80-20; and most competitive sporting shooters are going to be closer to 60-40 or even 55-45 flat. (You'll also want to lean toward a gun with lighter barrels and a more dynamic swing than a typical trap gun.) Why? mainly because we get a healthy portion of technical, twisting, curling and dropping targets in addition to trap-aways and 40 yard edge crossers. Add in the variety of target types --battues, minis, midis rockets, rabbues and now a lot more 70's and 110's-- plus the fact we get them in mixed pairs, and now the trap style high comb/high POI does not play as well with technical curling and dropping targets of varying sizes and flight characteristics and the transitions between them.

PS: Just curious why you think you need a "high monte-carlo comb" gun? Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with an adjustable Monte-Carlo comb on a sporting gun --mine have them-- but they are set up to shoot flatter than typical trap-high.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Just float the road target a bit an both eyes on the targets. “ head on the stock, and eyes on the rock!”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A trap gun doesn't have to have a high POI. Mine has about a 60/40 with factory beads, but I put a higher front bead which lowers the POI to about 50/50 with my cheek firmly on the comb. I don't consciously see the beads on most shots, but occasionally use them on long, slow, deliberate shots such as a long, slow, quartering incomer that needs to be taken "way out there".

I consider the main characteristics of a trap gun to be:

1. High Rib

2. High Parallel Comb

3. Heavier Barrel(s)

4. Heavier Overall Weight

5. Easily adjustable POI is nice, but not required.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:39 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
A contrary view, sorry...

Trap guns are fine for casual sporting clays. And you can even make Master class locally shooting one. However if you plan to compete at the top of the game in M class, you will want a gun set up to shoot flatter than a typical trap gun at 70-30 or 80-20; and most competitive sporting shooters are going to be closer to 60-40 or even 55-45 flat. (You'll also want to lean toward a gun with lighter barrels and a more dynamic swing than a typical trap gun.) Why? mainly because we get a healthy portion of technical, twisting, curling and dropping targets in addition to trap-aways and 40 yard edge crossers. Add in the variety of target types --battues, minis, midis rockets, rabbues and now a lot more 70's and 110's-- plus the fact we get them in mixed pairs, and now the trap style high comb/high POI does not play as well with technical curling and dropping targets of varying sizes and flight characteristics and the transitions between them.

PS: Just curious why you think you need a "high monte-carlo comb" gun? Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with an adjustable Monte-Carlo comb on a sporting gun --mine have them-- but they are set up to shoot flatter than typical trap-high.

^^^^^^^

For sporting, as referenced, get to 55/45 or even 50/50. Just way too many variables. For instance, a common true pair, a hot rabbit going out right to left, and a falling teal as the 2nd. target to take @ 50 yds., that's about to fall behind a tree line to the right. A lot of gun movement moving from the rabbit to the teal and very little time. A high trap type poi, no bueno in competition sporting clays. Doubt you could get under the teal quick enough with enough gap to kill it before it's gone. Would not surprise me at all to see that exact pair at the South Central Regional in Houston this weekend.

Last edited by 4th. down on Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Listen to Jack. He is a M class shooter who doesn't take all the Old Ways as gospel and is willing to go test these "saws" to see if they have any merit (most don't).

Or

Listen to the old baloney and be the best ever in C class.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not certain the original poster wants to shoot registered sporting or to try to become a master class shooter. More likely a shooter that wants to shoot different clay target disciplines and looking for a gun that would be adequate for what is available in area. Much like the gun club I help run. We have trap, skeet and 5-stand running every week. Organized events most of the time, but some practice days as well. We have many crossover shooters. Most have a preference or want to be competitive in one clay game over the others, but still participate in all.

I play too, but have always been a competitive trap shooter traveling every week to register ATA targets, like big tournaments and all american points. Have 3 Krieghoff K-80 combos, one of which is an original live bird gun converted to trap by stock, also used for occasional skeet, and sporting, as well as a perfect gun for ZZ birds.

We all have our preferences and priorities. Our clay target participation is variable.

Maltz