ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rib height for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:13 am 
Field Grade

I'm going to up grade to a F3 Vantage or Kriegoff in a few months. I shoot a 725 Pro sport now.

I'm interested in the mid rib or high rib guns. I am very new to shotguns so no real established preference yet. I was shooting a lot of offhand rifle sillhouette and Schuetzen so I'm use to having my head high on the gun.

My thought was that someone that grew up shooting a hunting gun my Pefer a flat rib. Since I have no real background with a shotgun it may be an easy transition fo me.

Any thoughts on this or rib height in general for sporting Clay's. I'm hooked and dedicated to sporting Clay's so not interested in gun working for other diciplines.

Post subject: Re: Rib height for Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:36 am 
Diamond Grade

Disclaimer: C class shooter with a lot yet to learn———
I shot a mid rib zoli for a year and loved it. The heads up positioning is very relaxed with an excellent view. Tried a K80 pro sport on a couple targets and didn’t like how high and wide the rib was. Have not tried any Blaser so can’t comment on them but the vantage looks like a pretty high rib.

Have since switched to a K80 standard rib which is slightly ramped but doesn’t offer the heads up feel of the Mid or high rib guns. Switched simply because I wanted to find out what the k gun fuss was and had several guns I could sell to cover it. I bought used to help mitigate losses if I didn’t get along with the gun and wanted to move on or go back to Zoli.

I can’t say which rib is better but as of right now my thinking is it’s a bit easier for me to focus on the target with a lower rib gun and the low rib may be more naturally pointing when doing so. That said I am certain a AA or M class shooter could make any style gun work for them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Personal preference,mid or high rib may work for you or may not.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you read the trap gun for sporting thread a few posts below this one, you will get a lot of answers since most trap guns have taller ribs...

On a shotgun, rib height is NOT the main characteristic that affects head height; it is more a function of Drop at Heel or DAH. You can have a flat-rib gun with a large DAH and have a high head position; and conversely you can also have a high rib gun with a shorter DAH and have a low angle head position.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:23 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
If you read the trap gun for sporting thread a few posts below this one, you will get a lot of answers since most trap guns have taller ribs...

On a shotgun, rib height is NOT the main characteristic that affects head height; it is more a function of Drop at Heel or DAH. You can have a flat-rib gun with a large DAH and have a high head position; and conversely you can also have a high rib gun with a shorter DAH and have a low angle head position.
Exactly. What matters is the relationship between the rib and the eye. If correctly set up and mounted, the flat rib gun and the high rib gun should have the exact same head position.

supposedly, the higher rib is less intrusive on the field of view, but I've tried a good number of them and never noticed any difference. YMMV.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Further to the points above, for sporting clays the rib height is most useful as a point of fit adjustment relative to the comb. So if the gun is brought to the proper cheek position FIRST with the head held as the shooter prefers and only then the gun is slid back to the shoulder, the proper rib height will be defined by the eye height. If you see too much rib, add a riser on top of the rib until the view is right. If the eye is too low, then a comb riser pad or adjustable comb raised up will be needed to get the right eye position relative to the rib. Selecting a rib height a priori as if it can be chosen irrespective of fit to me wrong. You can however raise both the rib and the comb to deal with a long neck or erect head posture.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Rib height is a highly personal thing. I'm going to disagree a little with Jack, sorry. Yes, a lot of DAH will mean a heads up shooting position. I know because most of my old SxSs have just that, about 3" of DAH. You have to keep your head upright or you'll just see the receiver, not the top of the rib. But, a high rib will also demand you raise your head position or the same thing will happen. If your comb stays the same you'll have to mount to your jaw, if the comb is also raised with the rib then you can mount back to your cheek. Now a days if a high rib comes with the gun either an adjustable comb or a Monty-Carlo stock also comes with the gun. I have a SCs DVD from Pat Lieske and he's shooting a very high rib gun and the stock is also quite high so he's shooting a heads up style. Some shooters like it, some don't. I'd stick on a piece of wood with double backed tape and see if you like it. Or try to find someone with a high rib gun before you make the jump. I have to use it just to see down the rib, but like it because I can't pick up my head to see if I hit the target, it's already up.

Last edited by bladesmith on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:36 pm 
Limited Edition

bladesmith wrote:
Rib height is a highly personal thing. I'm going to disagree a little with Jack, sorry. Yes, a lot of DAH will mean a heads up shooting position. I know because most of my old SxSs have just that, about 3" of DAH. You have to keep your head upright or you'll just see the receiver, not the top of the rib. But, a high rib will also demand you raise your head position or the same thing will happen. If your comb stays the same you'll have to mount to your jaw, if the comb is also raised with the rib then you can mount back to your cheek. Now a days if a high rib comes with the gun either an adjustable comb or a Monty-Carlo stock also comes with the gun. I have a SCs DVD from Par Lieske and he's shooting a very high rib gun and the stock is also quite high so he's shooting a heads up style. Some shooters like it, some don't. I'd stick on a piece of wood with double backed tape and see if you like it. Or try to find someone with a high rib gun before you make the jump. I have to use it just to see down the rib, but like it because I can't pick up my head to see if I hit the target, it's already up.

You are correct.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:43 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:05 am 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
Disclaimer: C class shooter with a lot yet to learn———
I shot a mid rib zoli for a year and loved it. The heads up positioning is very relaxed with an excellent view. Tried a K80 pro sport on a couple targets and didn’t like how high and wide the rib was. Have not tried any Blaser so can’t comment on them but the vantage looks like a pretty high rib.

Have since switched to a K80 standard rib which is slightly ramped but doesn’t offer the heads up feel of the Mid or high rib guns. Switched simply because I wanted to find out what the k gun fuss was and had several guns I could sell to cover it. I bought used to help mitigate losses if I didn’t get along with the gun and wanted to move on or go back to Zoli.

I can’t say which rib is better but as of right now my thinking is it’s a bit easier for me to focus on the target with a lower rib gun and the low rib may be more naturally pointing when doing so. That said I am certain a AA or M class shooter could make any style gun work for them.

The Vantage is definitely a mid rib. It is noticeably lower than the high rib Super Sport and not adjustable.