ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best sporting clay chokes to purchase
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:18 pm 
Field Grade

Briley is my personal fave but 1) I shoot a Remington and 2) Potayto, potahto. Everyone likes different things.

For choke constrictions on SC, every gun is different, but personally in my guns I like mostly IC and LM. I sometimes shoot Mod as well but that's rare.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

JacksBack wrote:
Nope. Mods for most and Sk's for close. A F or LF for way out there. And learn to center.

I don’t understand the advice, “Learn to center.” Of course centering is fundamental to maximizing target hits. But what do you think everybody is already doing, trying to just wing the clay, hit it with one pellet from the edge of the pattern? Of course they are trying to center the pattern on the target. As for learning to do it, well that depends upon talent, skill, dedication, practice, and so on. You don’t just get a book to tell you the magic formula for a centered shot. Put another way, people are doing the best that they can according to their time, interest, budget and so on.

Now if you said, “Learn to center as well as you possibly can,” that I could agree with even though the advice would still be obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:24 pm 
Field Grade

TBH I'm of the opinion that a F or LF, or even something like an IM, is WAY too tight for the average casual SC shooter. At least in my area, which is about 3-4 courses, there's nothing you can't break with a Light Mod. Sometimes having a Mod makes it a little bit easier but you'd have to be picky to notice a big difference.

That having been said, this is just speaking for my particular comp gun at the courses in my area.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:12 pm 
Utility Grade

Oh.. I have 2 cents to offer. I'm a mid level shooter. I've found that for 95% of what I shoot in the Texas gulf coast and at Nationals, LM is the ticket. When I shoot I carry a SK and an IM just in case. I think your $$ is better spent on targets and ammo and lessons as the factory Beretta chokes are pretty good. I shoot Briley chokes mostly because I have friends at Briley. Keep in mind Briley produces many of the OEM chokes we leave in the box and replace with expensive alternatives.

I think your approach of patterning makes sense. There is a lot of voodoo to this and real data is a better than word of mouth. I tend to think choice of shell and its velocity has more of an impact on the pattern quality than the tube itself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gn4hir wrote:
I tend to think choice of shell and its velocity has more of an impact on the pattern quality than the tube itself.

{hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

RUT wrote:
>>That "LM" tube in time will become a favorite tube for you. At least it has for me<<

Ditto that.......

Yup. I shoot sporting with LM in both tubes usually.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use Briley...they mic’d my bore and then matched the choke to the bore for a set of custom constrictions...so I have the confidence of knowing that all of my Briley chokes are The correct constriction to the bore...