ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best first gun for skeet and doubles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:10 pm 
Field Grade

Started shooting trap a few months ago and I absolutely love it. A friend and I are going every Sunday and shooting 6 or 7 rounds. Next, we want to start trying skeet, and maybe trap doubles. My BT 99 clearly is not up to task for that, so I'm looking at a cheap double or semi-auto. Any suggestions? There's a silver snipe in decent shape with what I believe are 30 in barrels at my LG S for $425. I can probably also find a used 11-87 or A300 in that price range, and there seems to be plenty of those Mossberg over unders new for $500 each. Not sure if those are crap and would fall apart and I'm better off buying used. My Browning is 44 years old and still a rock, so there's something to be said for buying quality.

Post subject: Re: Best first gun for skeet and doubles
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:33 pm 
Limited Edition

cormacf wrote:
My Browning is 44 years old and still a rock, so there's something to be said for buying quality.

There's your starting point.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:19 pm 
Field Grade

To that point, then, do you have an opinion about a Beretta Silver Snipe? It's definitely old, but it seems like it's in decent shape. The lever is pretty close to 6:00, but it seems to lock up pretty tightly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

cormacf wrote:
To that point, then, do you have an opinion about a Beretta Silver Snipe? It's definitely old, but it seems like it's in decent shape. The lever is pretty close to 6:00, but it seems to lock up pretty tightly.

It's too light weight for a dedicated skeet gun. Get something in the 81/2-9 lb range.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:54 pm 
Field Grade

If you truly want to shoot skeet doubles and don’t want to break the bank, get some thing that’s light on the barrel end. That will help you start and stop fast enough moving laterally. A Browning for example, is an awesome gun, but they are so barrel heavy balance wise that they are hard to start and stop, which is essential in shooting true skeet doubles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dmaroon wrote:
If you truly want to shoot skeet doubles and don’t want to break the bank, get some thing that’s light on the barrel end. That will help you start and stop fast enough moving laterally. A Browning for example, is an awesome gun, but they are so barrel heavy balance wise that they are hard to start and stop, which is essential in shooting true skeet doubles.

This is poppycock. Many, many skeet guns weigh more than 10 lbs, and trust me, the owners have no trouble shooting doubles. Even shoot off doubles at 3,4 and 5.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Dmaroon wrote:

Nonsense