ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hearing Protection
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 pm 
Utility Grade

good evening,

I am needing to spend some FSA money before the year is over and I am looking at getting some custom electronic in ear plugs made.

I plan on using these for clay shooting as well as hunting. I have been looking at Tetra, E.S.P. and wildear.

I am looking to spend around $1000-1500 on these and was wondering what kind of experiences those of you on here have had with custom electronic ear plugs.

thanks,

Post subject: Re: Hearing Protection
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Is it necessary to spend that much money? I bought these and they work fine:

https://www.amazon.com/EEP-100-Recharge ... 102&sr=8-1

Randy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:22 am 
Utility Grade

I have had Axil for last several years. In USPSA competitions or hunting I have had them in for 8+ hours and no discomfort.

https://www.goaxil.com/product-category ... ring-aids/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:49 pm 
Field Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
Is it necessary to spend that much money? I bought these and they work fine:

https://www.amazon.com/EEP-100-Recharge ... 102&sr=8-1

Randy

Almost nothing we post about is nessary.....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:07 pm 
Limited Edition

I just bought some Axil non-custom electronic plugs. The Ghost Stryke Extreme. Less than $200. I like them but can see the value in the custom plugs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

There are many types of ear plugs and many types of noises/sounds. The plug must be matched to the sound to do the MOST good. Buy your shooting hearing protection from a skilled audiologist that understands what you are looking for. Then they will fit you perfectly and be made from the correct material for shooting noise reduction.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

For pure protection, electronic muffs over plugs (solid or foam) can’t be beat. After that, provided foam plugs fit they give the most protection, then solid custom plugs, and last the little silicone tree style.
Between all the custom type plugs with electronics, it’s really more about fidelity than protection. Cheap ones simply over saturate the amplifier to limit sound level. The ones with more expensive circuits cut the amplification and are also programmable for gain. Makes it so you can match your loss with amplification. They may have programming to cut wind noise as well.
IMHO digital is sold as perceived better protection. It isn’t. Simply look at the ipil or nrr data. Same protection, just potentially better sound that you hear when they are amplifying.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

slotracer577 wrote:
. provided foam plugs fit they give the most protection, .

And there is the problem, fit, there is no way one size fits all correctly. And looking at the NRR numbers I will tell you they are not as good as my custom molded plugs from an audiologist. These where molded for one purpose, to reduce firearm reports to a safe level.
Remember, once your hearing is damaged and gone its not coming back. Buy the best you can.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

YevetS wrote:
slotracer577 wrote:
. provided foam plugs fit they give the most protection, .

And there is the problem, fit, there is no way one size fits all correctly. And looking at the NRR numbers I will tell you they are not as good as my custom molded plugs from an audiologist. These where molded for one purpose, to reduce firearm reports to a safe level.
Remember, once your hearing is damaged and gone its not coming back. Buy the best you can.

Steve

If foam plugs don’t fit well, ie tapered ear canals or oval canals they don’t work well. It does come down to fit for foam plugs. Real world protection without proper training also show them to be poor performers.

Unfortunately silicone or acrylic plugs don’t test as well for absolute protection with proper fit. I wish they did, but in personal testing and from testing at a previous employer (one of the largest earmold labs in the us) solid plugs don’t give the same level of protection. I tried, even made a pair for myself that are far longer canals than the lab would ever make for a customer. They were a bit unpleasant to wear and even those didn’t work as well as properly fit foam plugs. Normal length canals were a little lower protection.

If foam plugs don’t fit you well, then yes custom plugs are the best option. The slight reduction in protection over foam is nothing compared to the drop of them being worn incorrectly. If your ear fits foam plugs well, they are the best single protection available. Might not be the most comfortable.

I found for me, with foam plugs all the way in, I would get over 30db of protection. Pull then out 1/8-1/4” and that dropped to 15 db. All about fit. I would guess many who wear foam plugs would get more protection from customs simply because they don’t wear foam correctly. This is backed up with test data. We did subject fit testing and it was slightly over 25 db for customs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Auldthymer wrote:
I just bought some Axil non-custom electronic plugs. The Ghost Stryke Extreme. Less than $200. I like them but can see the value in the custom plugs.

Following up the above post, I tried out the new electronic ear buds today while shooting and was terribly disappointed. NRR was nowhere near sufficient. The amplification works fine, but noise reduction is extremely poor. I get superb NRR from long foam plugs rolled into tight cones and inserted deep into my ears. Unmatched by any other device or method. The Axil tips are short and stubby. They are foam and can be rolled tightly, but there is just not enough surface area to make the necessary seal for me.

I ordered a few alternative foam tips to see if I could jury rig a useful system, but I am not hopeful. I will report the results of that, but my guess is I will be sending the product back for refund. It appear ai will have to return to my standard system. Long foam plugs alone when ai am shooting you myself for best protection. When shooting with other people I want to hear, I use a slightly shorter plug in my off-side ear and wear an amplifying muff only on that side to avoid fouling it on the gun. For now thst appears to be the best I can do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:

Following up the above post, I tried out the new electronic ear buds today while shooting and was terribly disappointed. NRR was nowhere near sufficient. The amplification works fine, but noise reduction is extremely poor. I get superb NRR from long foam plugs rolled into tight cones and inserted deep into my ears. Unmatched by any other device or method. The Axil tips are short and stubby. They are foam and can be rolled tightly, but there is just not enough surface area to make the necessary seal for me.

I ordered a few alternative foam tips to see if I could jury rig a useful system, but I am not hopeful. I will report the results of that, but my guess is I will be sending the product back for refund. It appear ai will have to return to my standard system. Long foam plugs alone when ai am shooting you myself for best protection. When shooting with other people I want to hear, I use a slightly shorter plug in my off-side ear and wear an amplifying muff only on that side to avoid fouling it on the gun. For now thst appears to be the best I can do.

Good call, RP:-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:15 am 
Presentation Grade

I find that using bigger foam or rubber inserts help.

Randy