ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Continuing Ammo Shortage
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:03 am 
Crown Grade

In my area, the ammo shortage has reached critical proportions. The 4 places that have had target load shotgun shells in the past, are completely out. I generally run Gun Clubs, or Rio, or in some cases Federal.

I happened to be in Walmart, and the only thing they had were 100 packs of the Winchester Universal shells, which I have avoided like the Coronavirus. However, needing some shells, and them being the only thing I could find at $21.96/hundred, I bought some.

I know they'll shoot, for the most part in an O/U, but I'm wondering how they'll run in my Benelli Montefeltro Sporting? Anyone have any experience in running them in an inertia semi?

I'm going to take them to my 5-stand league and hope for the best!

Post subject: Re: The Continuing Ammo Shortage
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Managed to get two boxes of estate shells at Walmart but I struck out at 3 other stores..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:51 am 
Diamond Grade

Managed to load 300 for a lesson on Friday...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:02 am 
Limited Edition

Not all of you can avail yourselves of mail order ammo buying. I know that. But for those who can, it is a tremendous help at this time. Bass/Cabela's is still shipping free. The are short right now, but do every few weeks get in big shipments of their Herter's store brand (Win-made, maybe Super Targets, maybe Universals, maybe something in between) for $60 a flat. Keep a lookout. Also the Wholesale Hunter, LG Outdoors, etc. group of stores under a single holding company has some availability every few days and ships for at flat $12 rate now matter how large the ammo order.

www.ammoseek.com is your friend. No it isn't listing listing Walmart selling shells at $0.21 each, but it is helping keep us afloat at this time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This too shall pass .....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:52 am 
Presentation Grade

Surely the industry is suffering like everyone else but with the (Fine Folks) that usually have
ALL the information on , what's best , you'd think the earliest production would leak out and
they would share that info ?
Come on AMMO manufactures , give us a clue ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am not sure that the industry is suffering. Sounds like they have been able to see out the inventory in a time when a lot of business's can sell anything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Mail order ammo deliveries are starting to be delayed. Could be the season. Could be the crush of orders as everyone tries to get a share of the ammo supply. My orders used to come in just 3 or 4 days. Now a couple of weeks seems normal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:38 pm 
Crown Grade

If you want to find ammo on the store shelf you need to be camped out at the front door when they are unlocked first thing in the morning and hope you are ahead of those camping out to buy it all up so they can sell it on Gunbroker. If nothing is on the shelf, you go back the next morning and repeat until you find the ammo you want.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:32 pm 
Limited Edition

DEG wrote:
If you want to find ammo on the store shelf you need to be camped out at the front door when they are unlocked first thing in the morning and hope you are ahead of those camping out to buy it all up so they can sell it on Gunbroker. If nothing is on the shelf, you go back the next morning and repeat until you find the ammo you want.

It is just too easy to get it online. Even if it is only order online and pickup curbside at the local store, less wasted effort.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DEG wrote:

They need to be tarred and feathered :!: :!:

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
DEG wrote:

They need to be tarred and feathered :!: :!:

cdb

Actually, they are not the problem. They would not exist without the fool willing to pay $1000 for a case of small pistol primers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some larger stores that sell on line, hold part of their inventory for store sales. I have even gotten powder from the "On Line Inventory" at stores like Fin and Feather in Ohio recently.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:25 pm 
Field Grade

Halwg wrote:
I happened to be in Walmart, and the only thing they had were 100 packs of the Winchester Universal shells, which I have avoided like the Coronavirus. However, needing some shells, and them being the only thing I could find at $21.96/hundred, I bought some.

I know they'll shoot, for the most part in an O/U, but I'm wondering how they'll run in my Benelli Montefeltro Sporting? Anyone have any experience in running them in an inertia semi?

I'm going to take them to my 5-stand league and hope for the best!

You are right to be leery. I don't know about your Benelli, but I've had these shells hang up in my A400 when ejecting. The crimp was weird and they deformed asymmetrically such that they stuck in the ejection port. Federals from Walmart always work for me. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are 7 million new shooters as of last year. Manufactures must gear up to serve the new demand. Personally, those of us that shoot a lot have learned to maintain our own stock. For me that is 30,000 12ga. loads for singles and handicap. I shoot about 15K each year.

If we continue to add new youth shooters in high schools and college level, the demand will continue to increase. The gun club I help with started ordering 1 pallet of ammo at a time. In 4 years we are up to 5 pallets and needing more inventory. We also order in 4 or 5 pallets of shot and then again as many loading components. Primers are the hard to find issue now. So......Loaders be aware.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:27 am 
Limited Edition

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

Too rich for my blood. And to hot also. But if that is your thing, it is nice to see it in quantity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Ravenanme wrote:
Surely the industry is suffering like everyone else but with the (Fine Folks) that usually have
ALL the information on , what's best , you'd think the earliest production would leak out and
they would share that info ?
Come on AMMO manufactures , give us a clue ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgvoJK ... e=emb_logo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:12 pm 
Limited Edition

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

Wow!! That could be a retail store...! Love the Remington Nitro 4 packs... Just can’t find the around here at the moment..

JML

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The first time I heard that Walmart was going to stop selling the Remington Nitro 27's I started stocking up.

I sure am glad I did.

The Remington Nitro 27's shoot soft for me with my Krieghoff K80 with the Soft Touch on it.

I have 4 Walmart's near me and none of them now have the Remington Nitro 27's.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes