ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Save For New Gun, Or Stick With Current?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:43 am 
Utility Grade

Hi Everyone,

So, here is my current situation: I have recently gotten more into shooting clay sports since I found a nice range not too far from my house. I have mainly been shooting 16 yd. trap and some 5-Stand. I’m sure that I will also eventually make it back over to the skeet field, and I’d like to try sporting clays at some point as well.

The gun I’ve been shooting is my Browning BPS 12 ga. Hunter. It has a 26” barrel and Invector Plus chokes. It was actually the first gun I ever owned, given to me by my parents for Christmas over 20 years ago. Honestly, I love that gun, and it will always have tremendous sentimental value for me.

After my first few rounds back on the trap line, I posted over in the opinions forum, thinking that I might need to switch to a gas SA, because the recoil was stiffer than I had remembered. But, changing to lighter loads has helped that a good bit. I still have some unpleasant cheek slap that I need to diagnose and cure, and I’m still experimenting to see if it’s a mount issue, or maybe something with pitch or LOP, or some combination of those factors.

Here is what I’m wondering: I had started thinking along the lines that I might want to save up and buy a decent target O/U - maybe something along the lines of a Cynergy CX. My thinking was that I don’t hunt, so my shotgun is really only used for clay sports, so it would probably be best to have the right tool for the job. But, to be honest, I am a man of fairly modest means, and any reliable O/U, even a used one, represents quite a significant investment for me. I have noticed a few threads on here from folks who mention that they use a BPS for clay sports, and that got me wondering if the gun I have might actually be all the gun I need.

I don’t really ever see myself competing at clay sports. I really just shoot them for recreation. The BPS seems to fit me reasonably well, and it does its job as long as I do mine. Plus, it is on the heavy side for a field gun (listed at 7 lb. 10 oz.), so the weight is pretty close to a lot of target models. And, the bottom ejection makes it pretty easy to pick up shells right at my feet after shooting doubles, and I never have to worry about pelting neighbors on the trap line with empties. I can shuck the slide pretty fast after years of practice, and while it will never be quite as fast as an O/U or SA, I don’t really mind the bit of added challenge on doubles.

I was thinking that I might just try to find a 28” barrel for the BPS, along with some extended chokes, and maybe put a Kick Eez pad on it. My hesitation is that I know that it is, and always will be, a field gun and not a target gun. I don’t want to spend more money setting this gun up for clays, if I will eventually just wish that I had put that money in a jar towards an O/U.

So, in your opinion, is the BPS likely to do everything I want it to do, as a recreational clays shooter, or am I eventually going to reach a point where I get frustrated with the limitations of the gun and end up buying something else anyway?

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Save For New Gun, Or Stick With Current?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:55 am 
Field Grade

shooting doubles with a pump gun is very challenging. try to shoot as many different guns as you can before buying, just going by price you may be disappointed. I started shooting skeet with a mossberg 930 semi auto and then bought a browning citori cxs because everyone else shoots o/u. My mossberg fits me better so usually hit more clays with it than the cxs. recently bought the Retay Masai Mara 20 ga and shoot it pretty well too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shot a BPS exclusively in 2019. It is strange how well I shoot it. It just fit me better than any gun I ever shot. I readjusted my Kgun to fit more like it and had a decent 2020. That being said, if recoil wasn’t an issue and I didn’t own a Krieghoff, the BPS would without a doubt be my main sporting clays gun. I think it’s a great gun and the action is so short that true pairs are no problem whatsoever. If you shoot it well get a 28 or 30 inch version, but if you want to try something else, by all means do it. Part of the fun of clays shooting is trying different platforms.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All chokes M(agic)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think you should shoot the BPS for a while longer. Shoot some skeet. Shoot some sporting. Maybe get a chance to try some different guns. Right now you just need more experience and the BPS will give it to you. At some point you will "know" what you need. I would not buy a new barrel for it. Certainly the pump is a disadvantage at doubles of all kinds. But what does it matter at this point? You can certainly handle the doubles in skeet with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm with Hwcn & Bill M, keep shooting the BPS and use 1 oz loads. I shoot SC, 5 stand, FITASC, Skeet. I've never seen doubles that could out run my Rem 870 or Win Model 12.

BTW, for the record, I've seen targets that could out run my brain...... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Get a new gun. That'll give you two to play with.

What...are you new to shooting and need us to talk you into another shooting toy? ;)

tp (needs no such encouragement)

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:23 am 
Limited Edition

I shoot a BPS as my principal trap gun, I shoot it so well, I have second in 20ga to compete in that gauge in Skeet. A 28 or 30" barrel may be a better investment for you if you shoot the gun well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Trout Hound wrote:

So, in your opinion, is the BPS likely to do everything I want it to do, as a recreational clays shooter, or am I eventually going to reach a point where I get frustrated with the limitations of the gun and end up buying something else anyway?

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

My answer is "Yes."

Keep shooting your BPS as you enjoy the shotgun sports and learn the games. Meanwhile, save what money you don't spend on ammo and range fees. If you keep at it, eventually, you'll want another gun. By then, you'll have a better idea what you want. Also, you'll gain perspective on the expense and will be better prepared mentally to spend the cash.

If shotgun shooting becomes an important part of your life, it makes sense to spend a bit of money on the primary tool of your pastime. You'll know when the time comes (perhaps when a great deal on a used gun comes along).

So, "Yes," shoot what you have now. Save for something else later. Both are correct.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:22 am 
Limited Edition

Bladeswitcher is right on here. It's not the perfect gun for each of the games, but you are a recreational shooter out to have some fun. You can shoot all the games with the gun you have now, even doubles. Get some help with your gun mount and fundamentals, then if the gun is still slapping you, get it fitted to you. Best of luck to you in your shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:23 am 
Crown Grade

Obviously a new gun is burning a hole in your pocket. Been there, done that. I would recommend shooting the BPS for at least a while longer. You may get a new gun and not really see much of an improvement.