ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 20 gage shotgun after recovering from heart surgery
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:17 pm 
Field Grade

Well I got a little set back for a while, I just had open heart surgery, I am in recovery mode right now. The Doc said 3 to 4 months before my sternum heals completely, I am thinking a little longer before I ever pick up the gun. The wife gave me the go head and get a new gun if you can believe that. So I was thinking of getting a 20 gage, thinking the recoil will be a little lighter than my 12. I shot my friends 725 citori with his reloads seem like very little recoil compared to my 12 loads which I load 1oz shot pushing it around the 1,200 mark.

Do any shooters have any advice before picking up the gun again.

Post subject: Re: 20 gage shotgun after recovering from heart surgery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:24 am 
Diamond Grade

My brother went thru the same thing a couple years ago and as I recall it was 3 or 4 mo's before he was back out. He shoots a 12ga gas gun but I'm not sure if that's what he was using when he first came back. I'll try to remember to ask him and let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can load 3/4 oz of shot, in either your 12 ga or a new 20' if the 12 is still too heavy .

Either one can be loaded to very reasonable recoil, and will break birds. That is all Ii shoot in 20, for friendly skeet, and I broke over 90 on our local sporting clays course, last, with my 20.

I f wife gave you the go ahead, by all means go for it.

Good luck, swift recovery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:02 am 
Crown Grade

Pappy1 indicated that, "The wife gave me the go head and get a new gun if you can believe that."

You sir, married an ANGEL! Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:22 am 
Field Grade

Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
My brother went thru the same thing a couple years ago and as I recall it was 3 or 4 mo's before he was back out. He shoots a 12ga gas gun but I'm not sure if that's what he was using when he first came back. I'll try to remember to ask him and let you know.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

A lighter 20 will not necessarily have lower recoil; in fact, it might have as much or more. There are recoil calculators on the web where you plug the factors in and it calculates it for you.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Of course since you have permission, what other excuse do you have not to buy one?

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Congrats on making your recovery. FWIW, I have two "identical" Browning Citori XS Skeet shotguns, a 12 ga and a 20 ga. The 20 is lighter, but I feel it has more recoil than the 12 using comparable loads.

If you can hold the 12, and reload, you can load it down to 7/8's or less loads. I've done the same to the 20 ga, but the heft of the 12's balance feels better to me on the skeet field.

Hope this helps....

Edit - thinking about it - get the 20 and a set of tubes or sidekicks? for it and shoot some 28's or 410's out of it until your back to normal.

Shells by MEC

Last edited by bulabula on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

My father had something similar. He went back to shooting his 12 ga after the doctor gave him the OK. It was a heavy trap single barrel with a recoil system on it.

But hey, always buy a new gun if the offer is there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:
A lighter 20 will not necessarily have lower recoil; in fact, it might have as much or more. There are recoil calculators on the web where you plug the factors in and it calculates it for you.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. On a previous discussion, I proved where a 20 gauge that weighed 1 pound lighter than a 12 gauge had less recoil using several commercially available Winchester loads for each gauge. Of course the 12 gauge started at 1 ounce loads and the 20 gauge started at 7/8 ounce loads. The 20 gauge with 7/8 ounce had less recoil than any of the 12 gauge loads compared. Even comparing a 20 gauge 1 ounce load to a 12 gauge 1 ounce load, the 20 gauge had virtually the same recoil despite being a pound lighter since it shot the one ounce load at a slower velocity. Now, if you want to say that with reloading, you can shoot either 7/8 ounce or 3/4 ounce loads from the 12 gauge then you have to mention that with reloading, you can shoot 3/4 ounce or even 5/8 ounce loads with the 20 gauge.

Yes, there are scenarios where shooting a heavier than normal target load from a 20 gauge produces more recoil than a 12 gauge shooting a lighter than normal target load with the 20 gauge being one pound lighter. Or where a 20 gauge is 2 pounds or more lighter than the 12 and standard target loads are shot through both with the 12 recoiling less. But generally speaking, if you chose a 20 gauge that isn't an ultralight and shoot standard 7/8 ounce target loads through it, the 20 gauge will have less recoil than a standard weight 12 gauge shooting 1 ounce or greater target loads through it.

EDIT****** Here is the post from a previous thread comparing 12 and 20 gauge Winchester AAs where the 20 gauge gun is 1 pound lighter than the 12 gauge gun.

I posted this on another thread on this forum and it pertains to your question:

As it pertains to recoil and the question of does a 20 gauge recoil less than a 12, the answer is it depends. If someone reloads and reduces the shot weight of the 12 down to 7/8 ounce or less, then yes, the 12 will have less recoil. But not a lot of people who are asking this type of question reload their own shells and anything less than 1 ounce in the 12 gauge are difficult to find at best. So the real question becomes does a lighter 20 gauge shooting a lighter payload recoil more/less/the same as a heavier 12 gauge shooting a heavier payload. For the sake of argument lets use Winchester AAs. Using an online recoil calculator I compared the following loads. These payloads and velocities are all from current Winchester AA loads. This assumes that the 20 gauge is a 6.5 lb gun and the 12 gauge is a 7.5 lb gun.

12 Gauge
1 ounce of shot @1290 fps - 16.95 foot pounds
1 1/8 ounce of shot @1200 fps - 18.13 foot pounds
1 1/8 ounce of shot @1250 fps - 19.67 foot pounds
1 1/8 ounce of shot @1300 fps - 21.27 foot pounds

20 Gauge
7/8 ounce of shot @1200 fps - 12.92 foot pounds
7/8 ounce of shot @1300 fps - 15.16 foot pounds
1 ounce of shot @1165 fps - 15.49 foot pounds

So as you can see, even though the 20 gauge gun is a pound lighter, the recoil of it's heaviest target load is still less than the lightest target load for the 12 gauge - 15.49 vs 16.95 a 1.46 foot pound difference. And if you compare the most likely loads that one will shoot at clay targets the difference is greater. Most people only use the 7/8 ounce 20 gauge loads @1200 fps for target shooting. Comparing that to the 1 ounce 12 gauge load gives us a difference of (16.95-12.92) 4.03 foot pounds. And if you step up to 1 1/8 loads in the 12 gauge the difference is even greater.

The point I am trying to make is that I see it posted on this forum all the time that a 20 gauge will kick as hard or harder than a 12 gauge because it is lighter. It simply is not true as shown above UNLESS you reload for the 12 gauge and load 7/8 ounce loads. Yes, you can occasionally find 7/8 ounce loads or "low recoil" loads for the 12 gauge from the factory but their availability is spotty at best. If you need ammo and run down to your local Bass Pro/Cabela's/Gander Mountain and expect to buy shells to shoot later that day, the loads I listed above are what you are most likely to find. If that's the case and you want less recoil, a 20 gauge is the better choice. So can we stop hearing about how the 20 gauge kicks just as hard as the 12?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Pappy1 wrote:
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:

Thanks

Just heard from my brother and it was about 12 weeks before he did any shooting and he went right back to his 12ga.
He also shoots archery and they made him wait "...a lot longer..." before they gave him the okay to draw his bow!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:25 pm 
Field Grade

double20 wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. On a previous discussion, I proved where a 20 gauge that weighed 1 pound lighter than a 12 gauge had less recoil using several commercially available Winchester loads for each gauge. Of course the 12 gauge started at 1 ounce loads and the 20 gauge started at 7/8 ounce loads. The 20 gauge with 7/8 ounce had less recoil than any of the 12 gauge loads compared. Even comparing a 20 gauge 1 ounce load to a 12 gauge 1 ounce load, the 20 gauge had virtually the same recoil despite being a pound lighter since it shot the one ounce load at a slower velocity. Now, if you want to say that with reloading, you can shoot either 7/8 ounce or 3/4 ounce loads from the 12 gauge then you have to mention that with reloading, you can shoot 3/4 ounce or even 5/8 ounce loads with the 20 gauge.

Yes, there are scenarios where shooting a heavier than normal target load from a 20 gauge produces more recoil than a 12 gauge shooting a lighter than normal target load with the 20 gauge being one pound lighter. Or where a 20 gauge is 2 pounds or more lighter than the 12 and standard target loads are shot through both with the 12 recoiling less. But generally speaking, if you chose a 20 gauge that isn't an ultralight and shoot standard 7/8 ounce target loads through it, the 20 gauge will have less recoil than a standard weight 12 gauge shooting 1 ounce or greater target loads through it.

EDIT****** Here is the post from a previous thread comparing 12 and 20 gauge Winchester AAs where the 20 gauge gun is 1 pound lighter than the 12 gauge gun.

I posted this on another thread on this forum and it pertains to your question:

As it pertains to recoil and the question of does a 20 gauge recoil less than a 12, the answer is it depends. If someone reloads and reduces the shot weight of the 12 down to 7/8 ounce or less, then yes, the 12 will have less recoil. But not a lot of people who are asking this type of question reload their own shells and anything less than 1 ounce in the 12 gauge are difficult to find at best. So the real question becomes does a lighter 20 gauge shooting a lighter payload recoil more/less/the same as a heavier 12 gauge shooting a heavier payload. For the sake of argument lets use Winchester AAs. Using an online recoil calculator I compared the following loads. These payloads and velocities are all from current Winchester AA loads. This assumes that the 20 gauge is a 6.5 lb gun and the 12 gauge is a 7.5 lb gun.

12 Gauge
1 ounce of shot @1290 fps - 16.95 foot pounds
1 1/8 ounce of shot @1200 fps - 18.13 foot pounds
1 1/8 ounce of shot @1250 fps - 19.67 foot pounds
1 1/8 ounce of shot @1300 fps - 21.27 foot pounds

20 Gauge
7/8 ounce of shot @1200 fps - 12.92 foot pounds
7/8 ounce of shot @1300 fps - 15.16 foot pounds
1 ounce of shot @1165 fps - 15.49 foot pounds

So as you can see, even though the 20 gauge gun is a pound lighter, the recoil of it's heaviest target load is still less than the lightest target load for the 12 gauge - 15.49 vs 16.95 a 1.46 foot pound difference. And if you compare the most likely loads that one will shoot at clay targets the difference is greater. Most people only use the 7/8 ounce 20 gauge loads @1200 fps for target shooting. Comparing that to the 1 ounce 12 gauge load gives us a difference of (16.95-12.92) 4.03 foot pounds. And if you step up to 1 1/8 loads in the 12 gauge the difference is even greater.

The point I am trying to make is that I see it posted on this forum all the time that a 20 gauge will kick as hard or harder than a 12 gauge because it is lighter. It simply is not true as shown above UNLESS you reload for the 12 gauge and load 7/8 ounce loads. Yes, you can occasionally find 7/8 ounce loads or "low recoil" loads for the 12 gauge from the factory but their availability is spotty at best. If you need ammo and run down to your local Bass Pro/Cabela's/Gander Mountain and expect to buy shells to shoot later that day, the loads I listed above are what you are most likely to find. If that's the case and you want less recoil, a 20 gauge is the better choice. So can we stop hearing about how the 20 gauge kicks just as hard as the 12?

Thanks for posting this again. My friend has a 20 gage he reloads 7/8 oz. The gun he shoots is a Browning 725 28 inch barrel. I shoot a Browning CX with a 30 inch barrel 1 oz shot pushing it around 1200 FPS. We both use reclaim shot. When I shot his gun one day at least the recoil felt lighter to me, it seemed to kick a little less than my 12. No calculations involved. This info will give me some more info before I jump in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:05 pm 
Field Grade

I had open-heart surgery in March of 2018, age 76. Made a big deal of walking pretty much before I was out of the hospital and before my first check with the surgeon after two weeks was walking 10,00 steps a day, even though I split that up into 2 or 5 sessions. Also started Cardio Rehab, which I highly recommend, maybe 3 weeks after. IMO this is super important for your head as well as your heart. IIRC my doc released me to shoot Sporting Clays, 12 gauge 391 Teknys with 1 ounce 1200 fps loads after 6 weeks. My dogs still keep my walking an hour a day.

Follow the doctor's instructions, work at your rehab and you will do fine.