ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: which choke do I use?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:22 pm 
Field Grade

I'm a clay shooter with a browning 725 sporting. Got it used. Nice gun. Admittedly, its the only real shotgun I've ever owned, but its nice

It came with Invector DS chokes.

Full
Imp Modified
Modified (currently in top barrel)
Improved Cylinder (currently in bottom barrel)
Skeet

What's a good guideline in terms of which choke to use.

For Trap?

For sporting clays or 5 stand? (what I enjoy the most most often)

I ask because I recently started reloading. Normally I shoot 1oz # 7.5 shot. I went out to the 5 stand and was shooting 7/8 oz #8 shot loads with the bottom barrel and IC choke.

A few of the birds I normally break weren't breaking. Maybe about 25-30 yards out. On one that was rising and going a way from me, I knocked the clay off course, but didn't look like I broke it.

Yes, the bigger problem is me and where I am pointing the gun, but I really thought I'd be breaking more, not hitting them without breaking them... or seemingly missing and it right in my face and I'm aiming straight at it.

MEC 9000
Google search to figure out how to use it

Post subject: Re: which choke do I use?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You need to pattern your gun and make sure the center of the pattern is hitting close to where you think it is. Use the top barrel Mod choke to do this -- at 30 yards the center of the pattern should be within a few inches of the dot you're aiming at left or right, and then anywhere from dead on to 3 or 4 inches above.

If it's in that range, then that's a good reason to assume your load is not capable with the IC choke. Try tightening up to the Mod underneath and the IMod up top and see if things improve. But it's more likely the pattern will NOT be in the desired range above, which in turn will explain why you're not powdering the targets. To correct this, you'll need to get the stock fit for you, either via an adjustable comb, or bending the stock, or sanding off or adding to the comb, or possibly even having a better fitting stock made for you...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

For trap, use a M and IM
for skeet use skeet or IC
For what you are shooting regarding 5-stand and sporting, your IC/M is a good starting point; 20-30 yards is not too far for an IC

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:02 pm 
Crown Grade

As Jacksback noted, pattern to verify regulation and the gun shoots where you are pointing.

Oneounce's recommendations are right on. If the 5 stand set or sporting layout is set close...25-30 yards, skeet and IC would work but if there target mix is a little longer, then going with the IC and mod is probably better.

It may have been just one of those days too which we all have and something gets a little off in our set up or mount or process. There may have been something about a couple of the presentations that you didn't pick up and you were off the line or shot in target transition.

To be perfectly honest, it very likely wasn't the gun...or the choke...or the 7/8 payload. It was something that you did or didn't do on that day that led to more misses. Shake it off, get back out and work on your process. Have fun.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:13 pm 
Field Grade

Measure those choke tubes. The constriction that is marked is incorrect. the ones I received with my gun were off
full=full
imod =mod
mod = ic
ic=skeet
skeet = cyl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:28 pm 
Crown Grade

How they measure is still not as good as what the pattern plate tells you.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:18 pm 
Field Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
To be perfectly honest, it very likely wasn't the gun...or the choke...or the 7/8 payload. It was something that you did or didn't do on that day that led to more misses. Shake it off, get back out and work on your process. Have fun.

I know.... maybe I'm just trying to place the blame for my lousy shooting on chokes and shells. I'm in denial! :D

Back to work...

MEC 9000
Google search to figure out how to use it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JoM wrote:
Measure those choke tubes. The constriction that is marked is incorrect. the ones I received with my gun were off
full=full
imod =mod
mod = ic
ic=skeet
skeet = cyl

I have seen this with the factory invector DS chokes as well. In general they don’t measure (or pattern) anywhere close to what I would expect from most chokes.

"Train like you have never won, compete like you have never lost."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:16 am 
Field Grade

Agree with the posts above on the constriction of them. My chokes were also 1 choke size open (IM MOD was a MOD). I went with Muller chokes, patterned them and now leave them in the gun (2 U2s). Pattern and see how yours turn out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:09 am 
Diamond Grade

As others have said, a pattern board will tell the true story. Your issues were not likely the gun, choke or shells, most likely it was just an off day...it happens.
I use Muller chokes, 2 U3's. They measure .022/.023" in my gun, right between a typical MOD/IMOD. If I miss a 60yd or a 10yd target it's on me, not my equipment.

We all have bad days, I've had a lot lately...need to get serious again, but that's another story.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ceh383 wrote:
If I miss a 60yd or a 10yd target it's on me, not my equipment.

Same mindset myself. {hs# Take responsibility for your miss's and the learning will move along quicker. After all we each pull out own trigger :wink:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:43 pm 
Field Grade

I use Rhino chokes in my 725

For 1oz loads it’s LM and MOD
For 1 1/8 loads it’s SKII and LM
Proper gun fit and mount are crucial, address this first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mkk wrote:
I use Rhino chokes in my 725

For 1oz loads it’s LM and MOD
For 1 1/8 loads it’s SKII and LM
Proper gun fit and mount are crucial, address this first

Skeet 2 is the same .015 as LM in most choke brands. Are Rhino chokes different ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:34 pm 
Field Grade

SKII - .007
IC - .010
LM - .015

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't know about the 725, but on the Invector Plus flush mounted factory chokes, they are designated by how they pattern not their constriction.

For instance the Cylinder choke was not zero. It was .003 larger than the bore, and I think the IC was like .006 construction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Comparing Invector Plus chokes to Invector DS chokes is a waste of time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Now. Are you sorry you asked?

Generally, you will select a choke based on the distance you expected target distance.

On the graphic below, your skeet choke will fall between Cylinder and Improved Cylinder. Your Improved Modified will fit between Modified and Full.

Using a cylinder choke for 40 yard targets might result in a pattern diameter so large that there will be significant holes in the pattern. Using a full choke for a 20 yard target will result in a pattern size that is nearly half of what a cylinder choke would be making a miss more likely.

I use a skeet choke for skeet. For almost everything else, I use the improved cylinder choke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do you want to learn how to shoot? Or do you want to be a "spray and pray" shooter hoping that a huge pattern will make up for your lack of practice ??? :P :?:

Put in a M and an IM and go shoot. Learn to center your shots. Practice , practice , practice.

or

put in C and IC and shoot only fluff targets.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.