ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: your own thrower
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I drove through a shooting range in a town near me. It is supported by county tax dollars. They had a section that was set aside for shooters with their own throwers, which I thought was interesting. Our small club is supported by membership fees ($50/yr) and shooting fees.
Is this an idea worth pursuing as far as getting new members or would it be a nuisance.Have you seen this at your club?

Post subject: Re: your own thrower
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not uncommon. One of the local clubs is like that. Also the public shotgun range is set up to bring your own thrower.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

slotracer577 wrote:
Not uncommon. One of the local clubs is like that. Also the public shotgun range is set up to bring your own thrower.

What part of Co. are you in? The range I was referring to was in Sterling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Our club is not a public club, although we rent for corporate events and local fund raisers. Outside of the clubhouse, two range officer buildings, the maintenance/storage building, and parking area, open areas are equipped for clay sports. We have 3 ranges that have both skeet houses and trap bunkers, we are constructing a 4th skeet only range, we have a dedicated 5 Stand range, and a 15 stand Sporting Clays tract with 3 machines per stand. It is a shotgun only club. We have about 600 members and hold skeet and trap registered target events, but not registered Sporting at this time.

However, some of the more financially capable members are part of a separate floating club of about 40 members. Many are land holders. They cooperatively bought 30-40 professional quality machines (Promatic I think) and rotate around to each others farms. They shoot once a month and have a lunch. They have a member that is a target setter and some others help set up their Sporting shoots. When not using their lands, they rent one of the local clubs like ours and don't have to transport their machines. This private floating club is significantly above my pay grade.

JB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

wrfish wrote:
I drove through a shooting range in a town near me. It is supported by county tax dollars. They had a section that was set aside for shooters with their own throwers, which I thought was interesting. Our small club is supported by membership fees ($50/yr) and shooting fees.
Is this an idea worth pursuing as far as getting new members or would it be a nuisance.Have you seen this at your club?

I think it may be helpful especially if coupled with expanded hours. For example, maybe the official trap range is open several days a week for practice and leagues and then when there are insufficient workers it is closed, but another field is open for using your own thrower. I have my own thrower and do not like using it on my land even though I have a small farm since I now have lots of wads, shot, and broken clays on my farm fields. But at a club I could set it up and work on specific shots without having to follow the format of an official round.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

wrfish wrote:
slotracer577 wrote:

What part of Co. are you in? The range I was referring to was in Sterling.

Springs. One club is private, with two ranges. Both allow bring your own thrower. Also have plenty of public ranges that throw targets.

The public range is in eastern Iowa where mother-in-law lives. Pretty nice facility.