ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Ears/Pro Tac Slim Gold or Pro Ears/Predator Gold?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:45 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot about 300 rounds a week, shotgun only, have a significant hearing loss, and already wear hearing aids. That said, I do want to preserve what hearing I have. Been wearing molded plugs but need to hear the traps. Need some advice. I am going to get ESP digitals but also might use Pro Ear electronic muffs as well. The Pro Tac Slim weighs 11.1 ounces and has a NRR of 28 and the Pro Tac Predator Gold weighs 9.3 ounces and has a NRR of 26. The latter looks a bit "slimmer". Any thoughts, preferences

Post subject: Re: Pro Ears/Pro Tac Slim Gold or Pro Ears/Predator Gold?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

I found the Tac Slims to be a little too bulky for rifles and shotguns. I was getting lots of stock contact with them. I sent them back and ended up getting some Walker Xcels.

I think you will be happier with the Predator Golds with a shotgun due to the shape, but I have not tried this model myself.

I also have a significant hearing loss. Right now I'm using the Walker Xcels, which for me have less stock contact than any other brand I've tried up to this point. What works for me is wearing my hearing aid under the muffs in my left ear. I have been putting a foam plug under the muffs in my right ear to protect the ear closest to the sound. I can hear voices, and the trap, but problem is with only one ear it is hard to localize direction of the sound.

Recently, I got a new set of hearing aids that have a loud noise suppressing circuit. For the past couple of weeks I've tried using the muffs with both hearing aids in under the muffs. Seems to work well. My biggest complaint is that the Walker's get uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:59 am 
Field Grade

Ernest T wrote:
I found the Tac Slims to be a little too bulky for rifles and shotguns. I was getting lots of stock contact with them. I sent them back and ended up getting some Walker Xcels.

I think you will be happier with the Predator Golds with a shotgun due to the shape, but I have not tried this model myself.

I also have a significant hearing loss. Right now I'm using the Walker Xcels, which for me have less stock contact than any other brand I've tried up to this point. What works for me is wearing my hearing aid under the muffs in my left ear. I have been putting a foam plug under the muffs in my right ear to protect the ear closest to the sound. I can hear voices, and the trap, but problem is with only one ear it is hard to localize direction of the sound.

Recently, I got a new set of hearing aids that have a loud noise suppressing circuit. For the past couple of weeks I've tried using the muffs with both hearing aids in under the muffs. Seems to work well. My biggest complaint is that the Walker's get uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

Thank you, exactly the kind of information I wanted. Appreciate you taking the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:00 pm 
Field Grade

I think you should look at the Peltors (3M). I have had several of the Pro Ears. I think the Peltors last longer, are more durable and a better value. I got my last set online for $159.00, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:50 pm 
Utility Grade

castnblast2 wrote:
I shoot about 300 rounds a week, shotgun only, have a significant hearing loss, and already wear hearing aids. That said, I do want to preserve what hearing I have. Been wearing molded plugs but need to hear the traps. Need some advice. I am going to get ESP digitals but also might use Pro Ear electronic muffs as well. The Pro Tac Slim weighs 11.1 ounces and has a NRR of 28 and the Pro Tac Predator Gold weighs 9.3 ounces and has a NRR of 26. The latter looks a bit "slimmer". Any thoughts, preferences

https://pdcn.co/e/www.buzzsprout.com/15 ... nload=true