ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a Sporting Clay shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I not sure if my money is burning a hole in my pocket or I just want to get a new SG O/U for Sporting.
Seems like I have more shotguns than I know what to do with.
I shoot Trap with a Browning XT O/U 12 ga which is a great gun for the money. I also enjoy shooting my CG 12 ga. O/U. I like it because it is a heavy gun.
For Skeet I shoot my Browning XS Skeet 20 ga O/U and my CG Sporting O/U 20, 28 and .410.
For Sporting I have been Shooting my Browning Maxus 12 Semi, which is fun.
I would like to get a 12 ga O/U for Sporting Clays and have Adj comb and Butt plate.

I did have a a Browning 725 Sporting 12ga O/U with Adj comb and butt plate. I just did not like it so sold it.

Not sure to go with a custom stock or get a SG with Adj Comb and have the Gracoil adj pad. I have the Gracoil on my XS now and like it.

I would like to keep the cost under $6 K. Will be selling two older Brownings to pay for this. The Browning are Lighting Field in 20 and 28 gauge with 28 inch barrels which I never use so time to go and get something I will use.

Let me know what you enjoy shooting and are very happy with.

Thanks, Steve

Post subject: Re: Looking for a Sporting Clay shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Look at a Zoli Z-sport. I don't think you can find the same quality in a shotgun for the same price from any other manufacturer. Great handling guns, drop out trigger group, boss type action, silver soldered barrels, which are know for their excellent regulation, great customer service, etc..

New in the $6-8000 range. You can find lightly used ones in great shape for less. The only other gun that I personally could compare the Z-sport to is a Krieghoff, which tend to be significantly more expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:17 pm 
Crown Grade

You can shoot sporting with your XT without issues. It's one of my back-up guns

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Save up a few more rubles,
and buy the guy's 32" DT 11 he's selling on here. You can't get much better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ernest T, will look at the Zoli Z sport.
Cheecho, Was looking at the DT11, I see a few used at fair prices. The one are here is a good price.
I did shoot a friends Kolar this morning, very nice, would have to go with a used one for they are costly.
Will also look into the Beretta 692.
Will take my XT for a run, but if that works out, I won' have another new shotgun.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Good to Go wrote:
Ernest T, will look at the Zoli Z sport.
Cheecho, Was looking at the DT11, I see a few used at fair prices. The one are here is a good price.
I did shoot a friends Kolar this morning, very nice, would have to go with a used one for they are costly.
Will also look into the Beretta 692.
Will take my XT for a run, but if that works out, I won' have another new shotgun.
Steve

Beretta doesn’t make the 692 anymore. Look at a 694.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Drawdc, ok thanks.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:43 pm 
Crown Grade

But you've already got a 12g CG. There are more expensive sporters but are there better ones? They have their detractors on SGW but after 3 Berettas I've got nothing but praise for the way CG have figured out how to build excellent shooting characteristics into a competition gun.

Zolis make nice guns and they're very good value (as long as you don't care about resale), DT11s are good too - if they suit you - but over here CGs are winning more sporting shoots these days than Zolis & DT11s added together.

I know at least half a dozen people who've recently switched to CG, 2 from Krieghoff Parcours, 1 from Blaser, 1 from Perazzi and 2 from DT11. Apart from the Perazzi guy they're all shooting better scores.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:49 pm 
Limited Edition

The Beretta 694 is the one to get. Add the adjustable comb and butt plate afterwards. If you would rather have better wood and engraving for similar money get a 687 Silver Pigeon III from Joel Etchen or similar from Cole’s. Drop dead gorgeous. I doubt you would notice the difference in functionality. Still a really fine shooter. Either way you will be under budget and have as good a gun as ANYONE needs.

One thing to consider. If you want both adjustable comb and butt plate, you might should have them both installed aftermarket. Sometimes the adjustable comb from the factory doesn’t leave enough wood behind it to cut the stock shorter to make room for the adjustable butt plate. Assuming you want a 1” recoil pad like a Kick-Eze for example.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

FOAF,
Those 687 silver pigeon III from JE are very nice, will call them and get more info.
I think I would go with aftermarket comb and plate.
Will look into the difference between the 694 and 687 besides $1.500.

Thanks for the input on those Beretta's

Steve

Last edited by Good to Go on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Good to Go wrote:
FOAF,
Those 687 silver pigeon III from JE are very nice, will call them and get more info.
Will look into the difference between the 694 and 687 besides $5K.

Steve

What $5,000 difference?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Take a look at a used Blaser F3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Good to Go wrote:
FOAF,

Steve

687s are just 686s with the better wood and engraving. But that ain’t chopped liver. Rich Cole thinks the 686 action is unbeatable. Sure the 694 is heavier duty, but how long can you live? The choice is pretty clear. What is more important to you...besides the $5000 that is?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Drawdc,
$1,500. Left out the 1. thanks for catching that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:37 pm 
Limited Edition

drawdc wrote:
Good to Go wrote:
FOAF,

Steve

What $5,000 difference?

Between 687 SP III and 694. Street price difference isn’t really quite that big, is it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:13 pm 
Crown Grade

If you compare the Sporting 687 SP III to the base 694, it’s more like $500.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I ordered a 687 SP III combo (28 & 410) sporting from Joel Etchen Tuesday. It is scheduled for delivery to my dealer today. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Plan on shooting tomorrow if we don't get snow tonight. Mtns of Western NC. I bought my first Beretta 687EELL sporting in 1990 from Carl Poston @ montlake shooting, Soddy Daisy, Tn. No idea at the amount of shells that have gone thru that gun. Had it tuned up twice at the San Antonio nations. Still an excellent gun. Gotta run, just got a text my new gun has arrived.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Clays99, How did you pick out your 687 from the web site pictures? Did you talk to them about the different woods?
Did you go with the adj comb?

Looks like I am trying to make a decision between the 12 ga 687 at 3,700, 694 at $4,200, or the CG Summit Sporting at 4,620 with adj comb. I do like the CG adj comb system.

Waiting to sell one of my Browning's Lighting before buying.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Good to Go wrote:
Clays99, How did you pick out your 687 from the web site pictures? Did you talk to them about the different woods?

Looks like I am trying to make a decision between the 12 ga 687 at 3,700, 694 at $4,200, or the CG Summit Sporting at 4,620 with adj comb. I do like the CG adj comb system.

Steve

You can buy a 694 with an adjustable comb for less than the Summit. Check Cove Creek. My wife shoots a Summit. It’s okay but the 694 is a lot more gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Good to Go wrote:

Steve

The online photos are an excellent tool for making the choice of wood. I got just what I expected.