ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Warning - Double Check Optima Choke Fitment BEFORE Shoot
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Obviously, to obsolete the older ones so you have to buy new ones with the purchase of a newer gun. It’s all about the money

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:44 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Obviously, to obsolete the older ones so you have to buy new ones with the purchase of a newer gun. It’s all about the money

{hs#

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:13 pm 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
casonet wrote:

{hs#

I think if you look, the different choke types are in conjunction with changing bore sizes. Why they change the bore sizes on existing models is a different question, but what's in fashion changes a lot. I certainly think they should have done a much better job naming them so there is not so much confusion. It is terribly confusing, especially for less experienced shooters. The choke type is stamped on every barrel and none of them are interchangeable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:18 am 
Field Grade

This has been an educational thread. As a Beretta shooter, I have been careful when buying additional chokes to get the correct ones, not because of the danger of something happening, like to the OP, but because I figured they just plain would not fit. I just assumed that the various Beretta chokes would all be designed so that they could not accidentally be screwed into the wrong barrel! Now I know.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:27 am 
Utility Grade

Just saw this thread and its hauntingly familiar. I had bought what were advertised as Optima chokes for my DT-10 not the case. I screwed them in and went clay hunting after 25 rounds or so I had what sounded like a misfire looked thing over (apparently not well enough) and shot another stand and it did it again. Pulled the now mangled Optima HP choke out to find a nifty little bulge in the left side of the top barrel... Talk about a sickening feeling! After nearly jumping off the Tampa bay Skyway and throwing myself in a wood chipper I talked to Briley and they said to send it on down. Barrel came back and thankfully you couldnt even tell it ever happened, the shot got up behind the choke between the barrel but didnt do any thread damage just the bulge on the top left. Lesson learned the expensive way not to mention the mental anguish. I have since sold the DT-10 due to its bloated 10lb weight and have a 686 SP1 sporting which uses the HP chokes. So were shooting a charity deal the other day and one of the shooters also has a 686 sp1 and wanted to use a choke of mine, turns out his was a field model which uses the Mobile chokes not the HP's. Disaster avoided, from what I can tell other than subtle difference in the stocks the difference between a 686SP1 sporting and field is the choke system. I bet there are lots more of these stories but folks maybe too embarrassed to say, hell just typing this makes me want a cocktail.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:19 am 
Limited Edition

MitchL59 wrote:
I bet there are lots more of these stories but folks maybe too embarrassed to say, hell just typing this makes me want a cocktail.

Happened to a friend of mine, not once, not twice but on 3 separate occasions. I was with him for the 2 final blow outs and its really strange to see the choke tube flying through the air chasing the bird!!

He still hasn't learned about the different types of Beretta chokes but I don/won't shoot with him any longer when he uses that particular gun.