ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Use Clay Delay caller with Champion Wheely Bird 2.0?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Champion Wheely Bird 2.0 trap that I would love to be able to use with my wired Clay Delay trap caller. However, I have not been able to figure out if there is a way to wire the caller to work with the Champion trap. Has anyone done this and have some pointers?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Use Clay Delay caller with Champion Wheely Bird 2.0?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Safetyfast wrote:
I have a Champion Wheely Bird 2.0 trap that I would love to be able to use with my wired Clay Delay trap caller. However, I have not been able to figure out if there is a way to wire the caller to work with the Champion trap. Has anyone done this and have some pointers?
Thanks.

Call Clay Delay. I bet they already know the answer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Probably just a matter of finding a compatible 3 wire connector for the receiver wire to the controller on the Wheely Bird. Mine looks like this:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

I am not familiar with the wiring on the Clay Delay, but the foot switch on the Wheelybird 2.0 is simply a micro switch. When you are not pushing the foot pedal the switch is open. When you push the foot pedal the switch is closed until you lift your foot.

If you can find the right wires in your Clay Delay that do what the foot switch does you should be good to go. The cable from the trap machine for the foot pedal does not have power so you might need to power your Clay Delay some other way, again I am not familiar with the Clay Delay. It might already have a separate power source.

The timing of your question is serendipitous. I am just about to purchase a Wheelybird 2.0 and a Wobbler Base. I will be using the machine alone and was not looking forward to pressing the foot switch as it would make my stance seem forced and might limit my movement for a second following bird. I will be building a box that will replace the foot switch and have a small button that I can clip to my shirt. When I press the button it will delay for a few seconds before firing the trap. The delay is programmable and the firing time is programmable so I can set it to fire a second following bird with the single momentary press of the button.

I only ever plan on firing two birds, but the device could be set to fire off just a single bird or the whole 50 the machine can hold.

The Wobbler Base should mix things up for me, and that will be good. The wireless control has a nice delay feature, but it can only fire a single bird, never with a following bird on that first press.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:30 am 
Tournament Grade

I emailed Clay Delay and they responded that it should work. They suggested wiring the clay delay in place of foot pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Safetyfast wrote:
I emailed Clay Delay and they responded that it should work. They suggested wiring the clay delay in place of foot pedal.

Great! Let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

The photo of the connector that I showed above is the exact same connector on the foot switch. The connector end coming out of the machine is the male end. You just need to find a connector like above or cut off the existing connectors and make your own to work with the Clay Delay.

Road Man, I have the wobble base on my WheelyBird 2.0, and it works well. You can set it up to move left to right only, up and down, or both together. You get a remote control with the WheelyBird, and I've used it out to 75 yards with no problems, and probably works further. The remote has a delay from 0 to 15 seconds. When I shoot alone, I set the delay for a couple of seconds, hit the button on the remote, and drop the remote in my pocket and wait for the machine to throw the clay.

One problem I've had with my machine when running the wobble base is that the tower that holds the clays in place will eventually work loose over the base rods and fall off resulting in a pile of broken clays. I devised some wires to hold it in place and have not had a problem since.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ernest T wrote:
The photo of the connector that I showed above is the exact same connector on the foot switch. The connector end coming out of the machine is the male end. You just need to find a connector like above or cut off the existing connectors and make your own to work with the Clay Delay.

Road Man, I have the wobble base on my WheelyBird 2.0, and it works well. You can set it up to move left to right only, up and down, or both together. You get a remote control with the WheelyBird, and I've used it out to 75 yards with no problems, and probably works further. The remote has a delay from 0 to 15 seconds. When I shoot alone, I set the delay for a couple of seconds, hit the button on the remote, and drop the remote in my pocket and wait for the machine to throw the clay.

One problem I've had with my machine when running the wobble base is that the tower that holds the clays in place will eventually work loose over the base rods and fall off resulting in a pile of broken clays. I devised some wires to hold it in place and have not had a problem since.

Earnest T,

It looks like the wireless remote would work very well for two or more machines by setting the delay on each machine appropriately for what you want. The wireless remote would also work well for one machine, but only for a single bird.

It is that following bird that motivates me to make the controller, plus I like working on electronic gadgets. This looks like it will be a fun project. I have already ordered the parts, laid out the schematic, and figured out the programming. The whole thing will cost less than $50, but I could build it for around $10 without a water tight enclosure, circuit protection, and connectors. I don't like building half a$$ed projects and this one looks like it will be a keeper. My controller will allow me to program the initial delay from pressing the button to when the first bird is launched. Once I actually have the machine I will see if 12 volts is delivered to the foot switch. If it is that will be the power supply for the controller, of no voltage is available I will use a USB battery power pack to energize the controller.

Thanks for the heads up about the clays tower coming loose. I will just plan on some bungee cords pulling down from the top of the tower to hold it together.

What capacity battery do you use? Champion recommended a 12 Volt 30 Amp Hour battery for the Wheelybird 2.0 alone. Based on what I have seen that seems like overkill. I intend on running both the thrower and wobble base from the same battery so I figured that the 30 Amp Hour would be a good choice, but I want to keep the battery as small and light as possible. Where I will be using it the machine will be more than 150 feet from my car. I am going to put a battery tray on the cart, even if I need to remove the battery to run the machine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Road Man wrote:
Ernest T wrote:

What capacity battery do you use? Champion recommended a 12 Volt 30 Amp Hour battery for the Wheelybird 2.0 alone. Based on what I have seen that seems like overkill. I intend on running both the thrower and wobble base from the same battery so I figured that the 30 Amp Hour would be a good choice, but I want to keep the battery as small and light as possible. Where I will be using it the machine will be more than 150 feet from my car. I am going to put a battery tray on the cart, even if I need to remove the battery to run the machine.

I'm using a 12 year old Deka marine battery that came out of my boat when I replaced it with a new one. It is 650 amp. I run both the thrower and wobble base off it and I've run them both for hours with no problem.

Putting a tray on the cart for the battery is probably a good idea. I usually just carry the battery with one hand and pull the cart with the other. I still have to make an extra trip for the box of clays. The cart is pretty easy to pull as long as the ground is fairly smooth. If you can figure out how to put the battery on the cart the extra weight will help hold the machine down during operation. I've rarely had to stake mine down. It does tend to move some if you use the wobble base.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

My motivation for the tray is Arthritis. :evil: I use a hand truck for shells and will probably add the clays to that.

Eventually I would like to have two throwers. For that the wireless looks like a great choice. With just one machine the wobbler should really mix things up, and that is what I want. I considered making a relay that would shut off the battery power to the wobbler from a distance, but I decided that I would be happier just letting it run. If I decide to shut it down for the day I will walk up to the machine.

With just one machine I will cut the foot pedal cord and add connectors allowing me to use common extension cords for longer runs. Since I already have about 750 feet of extension cords around the house it made sense.

Thanks for the info on your battery. Right now the only extra battery I have is a small 12 Volt 3.3 Amp Hour battery that is a spare for a computer UPS, and for that it really only gives me a few reliable minutes of power. Just enough time to quickly finish what I was working on then save and shut down without worrying about losing power.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

So, I took the pedal apart and saw that there were two wires connected to a switch operated by the pedal. I took those two spade connectors off and connected them to the two wires from my Clay Delay model APB. Hooked the other end of the cord up to the trap and absolutely no response to input with the Clay delay.

Then like an idiot realized machine wasn’t cocked. Once it was cocked the Clay delay works fine. I’m going to really like being able to use voice calling instead of foot pedal or remote.

Here’s a photo of the switch inside of the pedal. Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Road Man wrote:
My motivation for the tray is Arthritis. :evil: I use a hand truck for shells and will probably add the clays to that.

Eventually I would like to have two throwers. For that the wireless looks like a great choice. With just one machine the wobbler should really mix things up, and that is what I want. I considered making a relay that would shut off the battery power to the wobbler from a distance, but I decided that I would be happier just letting it run. If I decide to shut it down for the day I will walk up to the machine.

With just one machine I will cut the foot pedal cord and add connectors allowing me to use common extension cords for longer runs. Since I already have about 750 feet of extension cords around the house it made sense.

Thanks for the info on your battery. Right now the only extra battery I have is a small 12 Volt 3.3 Amp Hour battery that is a spare for a computer UPS, and for that it really only gives me a few reliable minutes of power. Just enough time to quickly finish what I was working on then save and shut down without worrying about losing power.
I’m using a small 18 amp deep cycle
I got on Amazon. I ran the back frame bolts of the machine through the bottom of the battery box so that I don’t have to carry it separate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

Safetyfast wrote:
Road Man wrote:

I’m using a small 18 amp deep cycle
I got on Amazon. I ran the back frame bolts of the machine through the bottom of the battery box so that I don’t have to carry it separate.

I have read elsewhere that an 18 Amp Hour battery is quite sufficient for the thrower alone. Since the Wobbler Base runs continuously even when you are not throwing birds, unless of course you manually turn it off, the drain will be more. Trust me, if I knew that an 18 Amp Hour deep cycle battery would run the entire rig for a couple of hours I would greatly prefer that over a larger, heavier, and more expensive battery.

Your rig looks really good!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:32 am 
Diamond Grade

I don’t know how a clay delay works with a wheelie bird, but I can vouch for a Kubota tractor working with it dam well. The ultimate in adjustable base! Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Mighty Max battery, listed as "Frequently bought together" with the Wheelybird has been working well for me. It's small and lightweight. I do not know how it would perform with the oscillator though.

I converted my 1.0 Wheelybird to work with the 2.0 wireless remote. The ability to delay the throw is great when shooting alone. The ability to place the thrower a distance away enables challenging presentations. When I have to have place the thrower a few feet away it gets boring real quick.

If you use the Champion remote, the magnet setup below works well. The piece with the 3 magnets goes inside my shirt or jacket.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

streamrocks wrote:
The Mighty Max battery, listed as "Frequently bought together" with the Wheelybird has been working well for me. It's small and lightweight. I do not know how it would perform with the oscillator though.

I converted my 1.0 Wheelybird to work with the 2.0 wireless remote. The ability to delay the throw is great when shooting alone. The ability to place the thrower a distance away enables challenging presentations. When I have to have place the thrower a few feet away it gets boring real quick.

If you use the Champion remote, the magnet setup below works well. The piece with the 3 magnets goes inside my shirt or jacket.

Now that’s a great idea. The Mighty Max batter is the one I have as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:41 pm 
Limited Edition

My setup. I have 2 Wheelybirds. One mounted in a 4ft tall hose and one mounted in a 10 ft tall house. I set them up 90 degrees to each other. I have 9 pinned shooting positions in a circle out in front of them. i use lawnmower batteries in both and they last almost all year before needing recharging. Both traps are set to one remote(set for a 3 sec delay) that I hang around my neck. Houses are waterproof and will hold 6 boxes of birds beside the trap.
Was going to post pics but download says file is too big.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Sounds very nice!