It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shotgun Shells at Dick's Sporting Goods
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

mdlott wrote:
paracord wrote:
Halwg wrote:
I know that Dick's Sporting Goods is a hated entity on this Forum. However, where I live, they have consistently been the one place where I have found shotgun shells, at generally the lowest prices.

With the current ammo shortage, I had basically exhausted my options for buying shells. I am in a winter 5-Stand league that shoots for 10 weeks and was quickly running out of ammo. None of the online suppliers had any. None at Walmart, Sportsman's Warehouse, or the Dunham's in my area. Even Dick's didn't have any. Until last Friday.

I just happened to go into the local Dick's and they had both 12 gauge and 20 gauge Federal Top Gun loads in 7.5 and 8 shot. Price was $6.99, high but better than nothing. The thing is, they are behind the counter, you have to ask for them, and they are limiting how much you can buy.

But I did manage to get 200 12 gauge and 100 20 gauge. That will get me through the end of the 5-stand league and hopefully ammo will become more available as we get into spring.

F 'em. You should buy reloading equipment and start loading your own with the money you'd spend at Dick's.

I agree, F 'em. I load for metallic, but have always resisted loading shotshells due to the lack of cost difference. (at the time) Now, finding components seems problematic to the point that reloading will likely not be of any benefit.

I've been able to find everything. Seems like shotgun loading is the one thing that components are available for. I just bought 1000 primers last week and there is shot, wads and powder in most of my local places.

Even if you can't find it now, it makes sense to gear up so that the next time this happens (and it will), you'll be ready.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

Halwg wrote:
:D Bought another 200 rounds for $6.99/box. I don't care if it's the devil himself selling the ammo I need. I plan to keep shooting and the supply and price is right currently. I'm not about to cut off my nose to spite my face. :D :lol:

By paying people to actively lobby against your rights over a few boxes of shells, you seem to be doing exactly that.

If you plan to "keep shooting" long term, you should stop paying people that want to stop you from doing that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

My mama always told me not to support bad behavior.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >5 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:15 pm 
Field Grade

valencman wrote:
Solid Hit wrote:
47MolineRTU wrote:
Dicks could be giving ammo away for free and I would never know. I will not step foot in their stores.

I have to agree. It's the principle of it.

Amen! Same here I agree with you both. I do not patronize the enemy.

Agreed. They’ve really lived up to their name...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:17 am 
Crown Grade

T-Pee wrote:
My mama always told me not to support bad behavior.

tp

Your mama has good sense.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:54 am 
Limited Edition

paracord wrote:
Halwg wrote:
:D Bought another 200 rounds for $6.99/box. I don't care if it's the devil himself selling the ammo I need. I plan to keep shooting and the supply and price is right currently. I'm not about to cut off my nose to spite my face. :D :lol:

By paying people to actively lobby against your rights over a few boxes of shells, you seem to be doing exactly that.

If you plan to "keep shooting" long term, you should stop paying people that want to stop you from doing that.

He won't have to worry about it much longer because Dick's is getting out of anything gun related. It's just a matter of time before all of the stores are updated. I do agree it's stupid to support people who stab you in the back but some people aren't that bright.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Other than not selling ARs, what has Dick's done that is so horrible that you all won't go into the store?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Dick's and the Field and Stream stores are owned by the same company, right? I am not sure why they are at polar opposites, strange business model if you look at it.

The Field and Stream store we had was sold to Sportsman's Warehouse. I think SW will be better in the long run. I think with SW, Academy, Bass Pro, and our local fishing, shooting, and hunting shops, we don't need Dick's or F&S.

JB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

moocher wrote:
Other than not selling ARs, what has Dick's done that is so horrible that you all won't go into the store?
Hiring gun control lobbyists was my reason for never going back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Our local Dicks has eliminated all ammo sales, so I am told. I chose to stop supporting them over the AR stunt.

(These are my dogs, not shotguns) :)

NSCA # 517xxx (since 9/7/94)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

moocher wrote:

Paid gun control lobbyists to push an anti-2nd amendment agenda.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

if you buy from dicks you are part of the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Take-5-JB wrote:
Dick's and the Field and Stream stores are owned by the same company, right? I am not sure why they are at polar opposites, strange business model if you look at it.

The Field and Stream store we had was sold to Sportsman's Warehouse. I think SW will be better in the long run. I think with SW, Academy, Bass Pro, and our local fishing, shooting, and hunting shops, we don't need Dick's or F&S.

JB

Didn't I just read that SW was sold to the Bass Pro group? That eliminates a lot of competition.

I'm Bill but my friends just call me ... Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Often stores will advertise items for sale at a price that is at or sometimes below what the item cost them in hopes that anyone who comes in to buy that product will also purchase something else.

Dicks will occasionally do that with shotgun shells. Last year, I picked up 5 flats of Remington Gun Club shells for less than $4 per box after taxes. They didn't make it easy though because they had shelfed all in individual boxes so I had to fill my cart with 50 boxes of shells. I cleared the shelves and they told me that was all they had, but mysteriously the shelves several hours later when a friend when in and cleared them again.

I didn't feel guilty for shopping there because that's all I purchased and I knew they were not profiting from me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Field and Stream in our area wasn't here very long.

They just went out of business.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:44 am 
Diamond Grade

the F&S clothing line i used to see in Dicks was walmart quality garbage.