ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Want more portable electronic thrower. Questions?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:59 pm 
Field Grade

Hello, This is my first post on this forum.

I have an old Do-All aerial assault that I bought 15-20 years ago. It is big, heavy, needs some work, and wasn’t that great of a machine even when new.

I’m interesting in getting something more reliable and more portable.

Right now I’m looking at the Champion Workhorse which looks pretty portable and has good reviews. I am also looking at the Do-All Firefly that also looks pretty portable.

Any comments on these two throwers or other small portable electronic thrower you may recommend.

Thanks,
Chris

Post subject: Re: Want more portable electronic thrower. Questions?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have the promatic pigeon. For under $500 delivered it is great.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a Champion Wheelybird 2.0. I have had the machine for a few months, and it has worked well, I am happy with it. I added an optional Wobble base and it really keeps things from getting repetitive and boring.

I would guess that I have around a thousand clays thrown with fewer than half a dozen failures that were not caused by already cracked clays.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:33 pm 
Crown Grade

You want portable, put wheels on that sucker. Top picture is my old Aerial Assault on a Harbor Freight 4"X4" trailer kit. I just hook it up to my F-150 and take it wherever I want to shoot. When the Aerial Assault finally died, I upgraded to an Atlas AT-50 with a wobble unit on the same trailer as shown in the bottom picture. The setup is light enough for this 79 year old to wheel it by hand into position at the local range. I get a lot of compliments on this setup at the local conservation range. Oh yeah, and great practice for my bird hunting too.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:29 pm 
Field Grade

1958jr wrote:
I have the promatic pigeon. For under $500 delivered it is great.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that thrower.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:34 pm 
Field Grade

Road Man wrote:
I have a Champion Wheelybird 2.0. I have had the machine for a few months, and it has worked well, I am happy with it. I added an optional Wobble base and it really keeps things from getting repetitive and boring.

I would guess that I have around a thousand clays thrown with fewer than half a dozen failures that were not caused by already cracked clays.

Thanks! That is what I wanted to hear. The Wheelybird appears to be the same thrower I’m looking at but it has different legs.

The one thing I like about the Do-All is the disarm feature where the throwing arm rotates backwards to make it easier to remove the spring for transportation. Does the Champion do that? None of the videos I’ve found show the disarm being used.

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm 
Field Grade

Riflemeister wrote:
You want portable, put wheels on that sucker. Top picture is my old Aerial Assault on a Harbor Freight 4"X4" trailer kit. I just hook it up to my F-150 and take it wherever I want to shoot. When the Aerial Assault finally died, I upgraded to an Atlas AT-50 with a wobble unit on the same trailer as shown in the bottom picture. The setup is light enough for this 79 year old to wheel it by hand into position at the local range. I get a lot of compliments on this setup at the local conservation range. Oh yeah, and great practice for my bird hunting too.

Those are really nice setups! If I had the room to store the trailer I might have copied that.

I really want something that don’t take much space to store or transport.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shadowdog500 wrote:
Road Man wrote:

Thanks! That is what I wanted to hear. The Wheelybird appears to be the same thrower I’m looking at but it has different legs.

The one thing I like about the Do-All is the disarm feature where the throwing arm rotates backwards to make it easier to remove the spring for transportation. Does the Champion do that? None of the videos I’ve found show the disarm being used.

Thanks!!!

The Wheelybird 2.0 does not allow the arm to rotate in the reverse direction. When you release the spring the arm will rotate past the relaxed position. This means that the arm will be under some spring tension when you unscrew the bolt for the spring.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:07 pm 
Field Grade

Road Man wrote:
Shadowdog500 wrote:
Road Man wrote:

Thanks!!!

The Wheelybird 2.0 does not allow the arm to rotate in the reverse direction. When you release the spring the arm will rotate past the relaxed position. This means that the arm will be under some spring tension when you unscrew the bolt for the spring.

Thanks! My champion workhorse just arrived today.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:07 pm 
Field Grade

Double post! My 13th post was unlucky!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My workhorse does what I need it to but very limited adjustments.

If you don't anchor the front legs it'll start walking to the left.

This is my main trap

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

This is an update.

The Workhorse thrower works great. It throws the pigeons beautifully and is way more reliable than my old aerial assault thrower. The best part is that it is light and more portable and actually works off of a much smaller battery.

Mine does drop the clays onto the arm a little early. When the clay drops it is teetering about halfway on the arm and a few actually teetered the wrong way and landed upside down on the the ground next to the thrower. There isn’t a adjustment for this that I can see other than re-profiling the cam slightly.

The other thing is that the manual says to remove the spring for Transport. I wish the arm turned backwards like the do-all, but it doesn’t, so I need to back the screw off a partially tensioned spring. I found that my 20v dewalt impact and a 15mm deep socket makes quick work of that

Last edited by Shadowdog500 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Call Champion if you need advice on adjusting the workhorse. They have been very helpful with Wheelybird advice .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:54 pm 
Field Grade

saskbooknut wrote:
Call Champion if you need advice on adjusting the workhorse. They have been very helpful with Wheelybird advice .

Thanks for the suggestion. Before I call them, I might film the thrower with a GoPro camera so I can see, and show them, exactly what is going on.

The arm stops at the proper point, it’s just that the clay drops well before that point.