ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: late powder drop
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Im new here but have a question im useing a mec 9000 and what happens is when im loading every few shells right after the powder drop and it goes to shot i get powder all over my plate... and i just replaced the brass washer and new gasket on powder side and still does it.... when i run with no powder or shot the bar goes to the right fast but with bottles it gets half way and goes slow. i dont screw the bottle on tight. and the return spring is new.
any help i would appreciate.
thanks

Post subject: Re: late powder drop
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:40 pm 

Pieces of shot are getting between the bar and the chrome measure assembly making the bar stick and then release late. Pull the bar out and verify that there might be shot dimples in the white mushroom in the bar on the shot side.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:00 pm 
Utility Grade

It's a new bar to how do I prevent it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:53 pm 
Crown Grade

You might check the powder drop tube and make sure its clear. I had a tube collect debris from a dirty hull once many years ago. It dribled powder all over the place until i figured it out.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 am 

MAGILICUDY wrote:
It's a new bar to how do I prevent it?

After you have checked the powder drop tube like the fellow above suggested and have checked the white rubber insert for damage( It pays to have spare inserts on hand as damage can occur at any time). Then you need to set back the bottles, be sure to tape the red plugs into the bottle, then remove and empty both bottles into the proper containers for what you are using.
With the bottles off, you should remove the center screw in the bar, and disconnect the spring. Then verify that the bar moves easily in the measure assembly. Replace the bar into the measure assembly if you have it out and reinsert the center screw, leaving the spring off the tab on the bar. Place the empty powder bottle back on the bar, making sure that the rubber ring is under the bottle. Using the brass washer is optional and not needed if you are not using a very fine ball style powder. Screw the bottle down until it is tight to the bottom of the threaded hole in the measure assembly. Now, slide the bar in both directions checking for excess drag caused by that bottle. If excessive, find the cause. Remove the powder bottle and then install the shot bottle on the other side, repeat the slide test. If no excessive drag, then you can move to the step below.
This will reduce the possibility of a Sticking/hanging Bar in the future.
Buy a 3/8-16 bolt with 3/4" under the head for each bar that you have.
This is so that you will have enough threads
into the bar to hold everything together and not strip the threads. Because you also need to buy 3 3/8" flat washers as shown below and they will make the standard bolt too short into the bar..

After installing the bolt and washers. Replace the bar into the measure and put the spring onto the spring tab.

Also, there is a possibility that your bar is trying to lock spuriously but barely getting detained long enough to give you that spill.
Here is how you set the bar locking system.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=187242

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

Hi thanks for the responses so the bar is new i have loaded 125 rounds and every so often i get some powder on the plate if i run it with no powder or shot in the bottles its real smooth and yes the rubber inert has some rub marks on it from shot but not damaged. the return spring is new but i have not tried to add washers to make more tension on spring ill try that. i got new brass washers yesterday and new rubber grommet but the rubber grommet it bigger than old one dont fit. So 100 rounds were loaded with 700X and maybe the titegroup powder is finer is why its happening now?any way thanks to responses