ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Champion Workhorse Trap
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:22 pm 
Field Grade

Has anyone here had any success throwing doubles with a standard size pigeon with a 90mm midi pigeon? If so, how do you do it?
Thanks in advance for your time.

Winchester Model 12 (100+ years old)
And my trusty 870 Express :)

Post subject: Re: Champion Workhorse Trap
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

I recently purchased a Wheelybird 2.0 and have built a small wired controller that throws a following pair. Not true doubles but close enough for me.

With my machine I also purchased the wobbler base so the following bird is a different presentation since the machine pans left-right and tilts up-down continuously. The second bird is more than a second after the first so the machine will be throwing the bird at a different angle. I like this since the exact same presentation for the second bird would be exceedingly boring.

The skills required to make a similar controller are not that advanced, but it does require basic wiring skills, and the off the shelf controller is a bit confusing to figure out. I would say that the skills really only require one to be willing to cut the foot controller wires and void the warranty. The electronic timer is about $11 and you will need some connectors, strain reliefs for the wires, and a box. Of course you will need an assortment of other parts. I ended up spending about $50, but I wanted it to look good and be weather tight. At a minimum I would think $30 would yield a workable device, but it would still be pretty rough.

My controller runs on the same 12 volt battery that the wobbler and thrower use.

Post subject: Re: Champion Workhorse Trap
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

I should have mentioned that my controller has a programmable delay time from when you push the button until it throws the first bird. This delay makes it easy to shoot clays alone and still get following pairs. Of course the simplest way to get a following pair costs nothing, just step on the foot pedal and only lift your foot after the machine throws the second bird. This functionality comes free with the machine, but I find it a bit annoying to keep one foot on the pedal and to lift it at just the right time. Certainly not the end of the world, just a bit annoying.

I also like building little gadgets, so I enjoyed this project as much as the shooting of the clays.