ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First shotgun for clays help?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:40 am 
Field Grade

I'll try to keep this short because usually I get lengthy.

Shot clays at a friend's farm not long ago and loved it!!! Never had any interest after shooting my tactical shotgun because I didn't think my shoulder could take 100 rounds nor even hit anything! Fast forward and after shooting a semi auto, it was way softer and I was hitting clay!

Now I'm hooked!!!

I've done a lot of research/reading before posting this so I'm hopefully not asking dumb questions.

I know I need to hold different guns to see how they feel before anything! With that said, I am leaning towards a Maxus carbon fiber or sporting...also not sure if 28" or 30"? What I need help with is should I be looking at something cheaper to start with...SX4, A300? I eventually want a browning so I feel going cheaper is just money that I could have put towards what I want.

If it matters (aside from me holding them) I'm 6'2" 225. I will be primarily be using this on friends farms with a thrower and every once in a while sporting clays and trap but right now friends places 90% of the time. I have no interest in hunting and that's where I feel I should go with 30" but in the back of my head I feel the 28" is more universal if I change my mind.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!!!

Post subject: Re: First shotgun for clays help?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:40 pm 
Field Grade

Which gun did you use at your friends? That seemed to work for you from your post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:00 pm 
Crown Grade

If you like the Maxus, get a Maxus. 28" or 30", which ever feels right to you! Those 2" matter only in your head.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:06 pm 
Field Grade

Colt99 wrote:
Which gun did you use at your friends? That seemed to work for you from your post.

Not sure which exact model but a 28" SA Weatherby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:07 pm 
Field Grade

Oldfarmer wrote:
If you like the Maxus, get a Maxus. 28" or 30", which ever feels right to you! Those 2" matter only in your head.

I wasn't sure if it made sense to go 30" because of my height and because I don't plan on hunting with it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:18 pm 
Field Grade

A 30” would be fine for clays. Your height shouldn’t matter. If tou ever did want to use it for hunting, you could purchase an additional barrel in either a 26” or 28”