ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Shotgun
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello shotgun world, I am relatively new to shotgunning I've been skeet and trap shooting (12 gauge) and am looking to purchase my own for awhile now. I have been looking at the Browning A5 Remington 870 and a shop near me has a used Franchi 612 for $450. I'm trying to keep my price range between 400-700. Any opinions on the three or further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: First Shotgun
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:36 pm 
Crown Grade

For $700, I'd get a used skb.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

You actually have a few options. Beretta A300 Outlander, Weatherby SA-08, or Mossberg 930 would probably fit the bill nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:48 pm 
Crown Grade

If you've shot both trap and skeet, then you undoubtedly realize that a gun built for one doesn't work very well for the other. Skeet is normally shot with an open choke gun that swings quite well, shoots pretty flatly and is quick and accurate with a second shot. Trap on the other hand is normally shot with a full choke barrel from a gun that shoots a bit high, and without need of a second shot. The differences make it fairly hard to be successful and consistent with a single gun.

Of the guns you mention: The A5 is either loved or hated by most shooters, there just isn't a lot of middle ground on the gun. It either fits you perfectly, or fits like a bra on a bull. If it fits you and either has choke tubes or at least 2 barrels, then buy it and you are pretty much set for life. The 870 is every mans gun, it fits most people well enough to at least be used in a pinch. If it has choke tubes, you are good at least to start with. There are almost an unlimited number of extra barrels available for it, and stocks too for that matter, so you can customize it for each game you play. The quick and accurate second shot for skeet doubles can be learned with practice. It is much easier in my opinion with the slicker action of a Wingmaster model than it is with the less polished action of an Express model. Your milage may vary however. The Franchi 612 isn't a gun I'm familiar enough with to really offer further comment on. If it fits you and if it has choke tubes to meet your needs, the price sounds reasonable.

Other guns within your price range that I think you should consider are semi autos like the Remington 1100 or Beretta 39something or later 300 or 400, or the Browning Silver.

If it doesn't fit,
You must forget!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:15 pm 
Limited Edition

The 870 would be my suggestion. As Oldfarmer says, a wide variety in barrels, screw-in chokes, etc. It's a great all-purpose shotgun that can be morphed into many different forms depending on what you require of it. I've been shooting 870's for 40 years and it's my all-time favorite by far. A very simple and reliable shotgun.

1972 Browning A-5 Light Twelve
1969 Browning A-5 Magnum 12ga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm assuming you are looking at used, since a new B-A5 is more then $700. I like the 870 idea because, as said there are lots of accessories out there to adapt one to any purpose. That said, pumps are not that popular for skeet or sporting where some feel there is too much disturbance for the second shot. A used Franchi, Remington or other semi-auto with scew-in choke tubes, might be a better gun for these games. The SKB Idea isn't bad either, I like mine, and an O/U with scew-in chokes can be found in this price range. The original importer in Omaha still has parts for the older guns. Remington 11-87 or even 1100 may be found in this range, and barrels are available. many options, just look around. Best of luck, stop back and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:50 pm 
Field Grade

uplanddan wrote:
For $700, I'd get a used skb.

What does SKB stand for?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:52 pm 
Crown Grade

SaKaBa. Family name.