ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta latch lever stays to right after closing barrel to a
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:50 am 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone. Please forgive me of this can be found somewhere else in the forum. I am new to the forum and the world of shotguns. I recently purchased a 1964 Beretta Silver Hawk style side by side 12 gauge shotgun online. After acquiring it and assembling the barrel to the action, I cannot get the latch lever to come to center. When I attach the barrel to the action, I have to move the lever to the right to close the barrel firmly, which it does. However the lever stays to the right and does not come to center when the barrel closes to the action. I have assembled and disassembled the shot gun several times trying to remedy this to no avail. Any idea what May be wrong?

Thank you!

Tom

Post subject: Re: Beretta latch lever stays to right after closing barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Maybe nothing is wrong. What does it do when you shoot it? All my double guns open when the lever is pushed to the right. Your right and the right side of the gun. Unless your gun is different, the lever should move left to close. If it stays a little right of center, that is o.k. & indicates the gun hasn't been shot to death. If it gets much past left of center it could indicate excessive wear or it might need some adjustment. I don't know if the Silver Hawk has an adjustment. I have two Beretta sxs's but neither have required any adjustment to the locking lever but my 20 ga. Stevens has & the gunsmith fixed it. As long as it locks up tight I think it is fine to shoot but if it goes far left, you might want to have a smith look at it

Post subject: Re: Beretta latch lever stays to right after closing barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

It should stay a little right of center. This involves an allowance for wear in the parts. It will move closer and closer to --and finally, past-- center as the gun's parts wear. And that takes a very long time and a lot of shooting!