ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reduced and adjustable LOP 12g S/A shotgun for mainly clays
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All - I'm new to the world of shotguns. I recently shot a round of trap with my son's Boy Scout troop and also took an intro class at a sporting clays course. I enjoyed both quite a bit, so possibly looking into purchasing a shotgun to go more often. I'm not new to shooting sports, as I have handguns as well as a .22 rifle. I do know some folks who hunt, so I may want to try that as well, in the future. But likely at least 95/5 clays/hunting.

I'm 5'3" and weigh 155 pounds - more of an athletic build with 38"/39" jacket and 31" waist. When I measure my estimated LOP based on crook of elbow to first knuckle of my index finger, it's 13.5". I haven't determined my actual needed LOP yet.

Considering the Beretta A300 Synthetic due to the adjustable stock. I shouldered the A400 Parallel Target RL, but couldn't get my eye down the rib, I think due to the comb. I was able to get a clear sight down the standard A400 Xcel w/KO. I like the quality feel of it, but I'm afraid it might be too long even with a thinner pad. I'd rather not do any customization such as stock cutting, so that I could still easily sell if needed.

Are there other 12g S/A that would also have a reduced and adjustable LOP? I see the Remington V3 also has a Compact version, which does have a shorter LOP as well as adjustable spacers, but the barrel is only 22".

Thoughts as to other options to consider? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Reduced and adjustable LOP 12g S/A shotgun for mainly cl
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:37 am 
Field Grade

I think the A300 you mentioned would be a good choice. With the various spacers and different pad thicknesses offered by Beretta (in addition to the availability of shims), you should be able to dial it in to fit you well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The length of your forearm as it relates to stock length is not a good estimate since it ignores a couple of things that affect a correct length.

How you stand when you shoot affects length - the amount of rotation of your stance, Greater rotation requires additional length.

The height of your gun mount and the length of your neck can also affect stock length, If you need to lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb, the lean requires additional length.

At your height, average length stocks will be too long for you, making the gun more difficult to swing easily and accurately. The question is how much shorter should it be.

Given the two length affecting things mentioned above, I cannot offer defendable estimate. It would be best if you could visit a good stock fitter who could see you mount your gun,

Try the various thicknesses of recoil pads or butt plates and mount the gun. With each, have someone measure the distance from the tip of your nose to the second knuckle on your trigger-hand thumb. A good separation is from 1.25" to 1.5" but no longer. (If your gun mount is very consistent, the separation can be as little as one inch.)

Rollin

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, Rollin! At this point, I'm leaning towards the Remington V3 Synthetic with the 28" barrel. I shouldered it back to back yesterday with the Beretta A300, and the V3 seemed to fit a tad better. I was able to look straight down the rib just by raising the gun to my shoulder. I've found that I can also buy the compact stock for it, with adjustable spacers, if I need. I'll do the measurements as you suggest when I get the shotgun.

Coincidentally, I ordered your Stock Fitter's Bible on Sunday - it should arrive tomorrow. It's the first paper book that I've purchased for myself in well over a decade! I buy a lot of books, but I've only been purchasing digital versions as I can read them on my phone anywhere I go. Looking forward to reading your insights.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The V3 seems to have been a good choice. The barrel length should keep it comfortable for your forward arm, even during a long day's shooting. The LOP options with spacers is an added advantage.

Just keep an eye on the pitch on the stock. The whole recoil pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with your shoulder when you bring the gun back to your shoulder at the end of a gun mount with the barrel raised to a normal shooting height.

Thank you for ordering a book. I considered making a digital version available but decided against it because the illustrations would not be visible when on opposite pages in a printed book and that would irritate me a lot if I were reading a book on a tablet and even more if I were reading it on a phone.

You probably know that the book is 6" by 9." I chose that size so it would fit easily into a shooting bag. It was not offered in a hard cover edition to keep the price down.

If you have questions, feel free to call me in Wisconsin at 920-422-6124 or email me at [email protected].

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Rollin, thanks for the offer to help! I've just started to read the book, and it's been quite informative. I pick up my V3 tomorrow, but my first step may be to order the compact stock, along with the LOP spacers, though I may likely need to be at the minimum. Waiting to get the shotgun in hand before ordering, as I may need a shim as well. I'll let you know if I have any questions.