ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester 101 Shotgun lever won't move
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:49 am 
Utility Grade

I have a Winchester 101 U/O and the upper release lever no longer moves right to open the barrels. This occurred after shooting three rounds and opening it, unloading the shells and then on closing it, it would no longer open. Please help!

Post subject: Re: Winchester 101 Shotgun lever won't move
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:20 am 
Utility Grade

One quick thing you might try...Put the gun across your legs with the rib up, put some downward pressure on the barrels while trying to move the lever. Hopefully there's just a buildup of dirt or something jamming it. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to disassemble the action.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:11 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks! I tried that and then went to disassemble, but must admit I am new to this shotgun. I live in Southern central Africa and have the weapon for home protection. I removed the forearm and do not see a way to open the action without using this lever. I've been looking through the manual and can't determine a way to disassemble the action without using the lever. Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jeffwilkinson wrote:
I have a Winchester 101 U/O and the upper release lever no longer moves right to open the barrels. This occurred after shooting three rounds and opening it, unloading the shells and then on closing it, it would no longer open. Please help!

Are you certain that there are no live rounds in the gun? If it contains no live rounds and the top lever won't move, I suggest you remove the buttstock and then try to cock the hammers manually. You may need to use a small screwdriver or a punch or some similar tool. Once both hammers are cocked, see if the gun will open then.

Also look inside the action and see if there is any broken part or foreign object (such as a piece of wood or chunk of metal) in there. With the stock off, try bouncing the action frame lightly on a padded wooden table with the muzzles up. This might dislodge any foreign matter that is in there. It could be a broken top lever return spring or perhaps something else. Let us know what you find.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:36 am 
Utility Grade

That sounds very helpful thank you. I have to find what looks like a very long flat head screwdriver to remove the bumpstock. I live in Malawi, so hard to find resources for this. Will try this and revert to you. Thanks again