ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Advice on purchase or Mossberg 930 or SA-20
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:26 am 
Utility Grade

Hello fellow Shotgunners,
I have a Mossberg 500 and do not use it because it rips off my shoulder. Looking for advice I was really interested in the SA-20 with the hope that it would eliminate that. All reviews point to yes. Mainly looking at the Mossberg for value vs quality. Although I am concerned that the Turkish model is very limiting if I wish to upgrade parts, increase capacity, etc. The 930 seems very versatile and is also US built. I looked for articles that would give the felt recoil with no luck. If it is low enough, I could also share with the wife. (Yes, I would!) Does the 930 come in a 20 gauge? (I could not find one.)
Would you recommend this for someone that looking for reduced recoil?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Need Advice on purchase or Mossberg 930 or SA-20
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi, Scotish. I am as new as you when it comes to buying shotguns. However,I've done a ton of reading for the last few weeks. I've learned that semi-auto shotguns are far less recoil monsters than the other styles.

I have an inexpensive Yildiz turkish 20 gauge O/U that has very little kick.

Right or wrong, I have ordered a Remington 870 pump 12 gauge. When it arrives and I get a chance to shoot it, I will see if the recoil can be controlled. I'll read and follow your post here to learn even more.

Most of what I think I now understand, it that the particular shot shells that you choose can make a major difference. Perhaps even with the gun that you presently own. Have you looked into that?

richg99

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:09 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

scottish wrote:
I have a Mossberg 500 and do not use it because it rips off my shoulder. Looking for advice I was really interested in the SA-20 with the hope that it would eliminate that. All reviews point to yes.

There is no formula for felt recoil and there cannot be. That's just a matter of opinion.

Actual recoil is another matter. It is easily calculated, see http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php . No Mossberg 500 should 'tear off' anyone's shoulder. You reduce weight of the payload and velocity of the payload, and recoil drops in concert.

The SA-20 (and TriStar Viper https://www.tristararms.com/series/viper-g2/ ) are gas-operated and are soft-shooting for everyone with common 7/8 oz. target loads.

The softest-shooting 20 gauge I've tested in years is a Remington 11-87.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

Fit is the determining factor. A shotgun that fits YOU poorly can kick you horribly. Same gun, fits someone else well, they won't feel much recoil at all.