ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New To Shotguns So I Need Some Tips
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

First off, i'm not new to firearms in general, just to shotguns specifically, so i know how to clean and maintain firearms in general, which is what makes my problem as frustrating as it is.

I have a High Standard Flite King Deluxe K1211 that i picked up recently for a very good price. It has a few dings and scratches on it from age and use, but that doesn't bother me. I have certain firearms that i view as showpieces, and this certainly has seen its days in the woods through the decades.

I did research prior to purchasing this, and thought i knew what i was getting into with taking this apart, but i cant seem to get the trigger lock pin out. I have a brass wood screw that i'm using as a punch and a rubber mallet to knock out the pin. I know i'm knocking the pin in the correct direction by looking at some youtube clips and a downloaded scan of the instruction manual, but the pin isn't really budging.

I'll be honest, i'm hitting it with mild to moderate force. I'm not going full Thor on this pin, as i dont want to risk damaging anything. I even squirted in some CLP to see if it would loosen things up, but still no luck.

Does anyone have some advice? I dont want to bring it to a gun shop to ask someone, as i have several health conditions, and exposing myself to an illness wouldn't end well for me. I attached photo links as well.

https://ibb.co/8MZnZQd
https://ibb.co/YNMPfCp
https://ibb.co/q1JyrQZ

Post subject: Re: New To Shotguns So I Need Some Tips
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hello, AP, and welcome to the board.

There are some folks here who are familiar with the Flite Kings, but I'm not one of them. However, if you'll post your question in the Shotguns - General and/or Shotgun Gunsmithing & Restoration forums, you'll stand a much better chance of getting the answer to your question. Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:05 pm 
Crown Grade

The proper size punch will set you back a couple dollars, then tap it firmly with something harder than rubber. Try it from both sides.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

AP5366 wrote:
Hello,

First off, i'm not new to firearms in general, just to shotguns specifically, so i know how to clean and maintain firearms in general, which is what makes my problem as frustrating as it is.

I have a High Standard Flite King Deluxe K1211 that i picked up recently for a very good price. It has a few dings and scratches on it from age and use, but that doesn't bother me. I have certain firearms that i view as showpieces, and this certainly has seen its days in the woods through the decades.

I did research prior to purchasing this, and thought i knew what i was getting into with taking this apart, but i cant seem to get the trigger lock pin out. I have a brass wood screw that i'm using as a punch and a rubber mallet to knock out the pin. I know i'm knocking the pin in the correct direction by looking at some youtube clips and a downloaded scan of the instruction manual, but the pin isn't really budging.

I'll be honest, i'm hitting it with mild to moderate force. I'm not going full Thor on this pin, as i dont want to risk damaging anything. I even squirted in some CLP to see if it would loosen things up, but still no luck.

Does anyone have some advice? I dont want to bring it to a gun shop to ask someone, as i have several health conditions, and exposing myself to an illness wouldn't end well for me. I attached photo links as well.

https://ibb.co/8MZnZQd
https://ibb.co/YNMPfCp
https://ibb.co/q1JyrQZ

Your "punching" technique needs some work. First, make sure the gun is resting on a solid table or bench with no thick "cushioney" stuff between the gun and what it's resting on. A thin layer of material is OK, but nothing thick or soft.

Second, get a better punch. A stout nail will work pretty good in a pinch.

Third, ditch that rubber mallet. It's too "cushioney" for the job. A hard mallet or even a regular carpenter's hammer will do.

Now, once you place the gun on a firm support, use a firm punch, and hit the punch with a firm hammer, the pin should pop out relatively easy. Oh, be sure there is room under the pin for it to come out. Obviously, you can't lay the gun flat on a solid table and expect to punch the pin out because there is no where for the pin to go unless you've drilled a hole in the table under the pin. A couple blocks of wood come in very handy to support the receiver while punching.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.