ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question on stock fit
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:42 pm 
Field Grade

So I took my new shotgun out for it's first trip to the range. Didn't do anything but function fire about 25 rds just to see if it worked.

During that time, I noticed that when I had the butt in my shoulder, I had to move my head downward to get my cheek on the stock. Since my background is rifle shooting, I like to get a tight stock weld with my cheek but from what I've read, that may be incorrect technique for shotguns. Additionally, I've read that the cheek is the reference point since shotguns don't have rear sights and therefore how and where the cheek is placed on the comb of the stock is important. The problem is, when I do that, the butt seems to wind up too high in my shoulder. So, either I get on the comb where I think it looks right and the heel seems to high or I get the butt in the right place and have to put my head down to get the proper placement. LOP seems okay so.

The gun came with shim kit so any suggestions are appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Question on stock fit
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I suspect that you are taller than 6' or have an unusually long neck.

Regardless of the cause, the stock dimension known as the" drop at the heel" is inadequate. This dimension is the distance of the top of the recoil pad or "heel" below the level of the gun's rib.

You are correct in your opinion that your head and neck posture are flawed. The correct posture is a normal one, with your head and neck both in an naturally erect posture.

To achieve this posture, you have two options. One you found, to raise the recoil pad so the top if it is above your collarbone. This is a rather poor correction since too little of the recoil pad makes contact with your shoulder, which is not only likely to injure your clavicle but will also make consistently mounting your gun more difficult. (Consistent gun mounts are important because, as you mentioned, shotguns do not have a back sight. For this reason, the eye serves the same purpose as the back sight on a rifle or hand gun. Move either and the bullet or pattern moves in the same direction, which can easily be done with inconsistent gun mounts.) With inconsistent mounts, this is very likely, which, in turn will change the pattern's POI (point of impact) and the likelihood of a lost target.

The best solution is the addition of a unit known as a pad adjuster. These units mount between the recoil pad and the stock and allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered, rotated or moved left or right. These things can do a low to make a gun fit the size and shape of shooters with various conformations.

The Jones and the 100-Straight are two adjusters, which can be installed by most gunsmiths.

If you have an adjuster installed, check the "pitch" on the stock to make sure it is correct for you. Pitch is the angle formed by the end of the recoil pad and the rib, approximately 90 degrees.

The pitch is correct for you if, when the mount is completed and the butt is brought back to your shoulder, the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact. If the pointed "toe" of the pad makes contact very much before the top heel of the pad, you would be well advised to have the stock cut slightly to correct it.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 am 
Field Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
I suspect that you are taller than 6' or have an unusually long neck.

Regardless of the cause, the stock dimension known as the" drop at the heel" is inadequate. This dimension is the distance of the top of the recoil pad or "heel" below the level of the gun's rib.

You are correct in your opinion that your head and neck posture are flawed. The correct posture is a normal one, with your head and neck both in an naturally erect posture.

To achieve this posture, you have two options. One you found, to raise the recoil pad so the top if it is above your collarbone. This is a rather poor correction since too little of the recoil pad makes contact with your shoulder, which is not only likely to injure your clavicle but will also make consistently mounting your gun more difficult. (Consistent gun mounts are important because, as you mentioned, shotguns do not have a back sight. For this reason, the eye serves the same purpose as the back sight on a rifle or hand gun. Move either and the bullet or pattern moves in the same direction, which can easily be done with inconsistent gun mounts.) With inconsistent mounts, this is very likely, which, in turn will change the pattern's POI (point of impact) and the likelihood of a lost target.

The best solution is the addition of a unit known as a pad adjuster. These units mount between the recoil pad and the stock and allow the whole recoil pad to be lowered, rotated or moved left or right. These things can do a low to make a gun fit the size and shape of shooters with various conformations.

The Jones and the 100-Straight are two adjusters, which can be installed by most gunsmiths.

If you have an adjuster installed, check the "pitch" on the stock to make sure it is correct for you. Pitch is the angle formed by the end of the recoil pad and the rib, approximately 90 degrees.

The pitch is correct for you if, when the mount is completed and the butt is brought back to your shoulder, the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact. If the pointed "toe" of the pad makes contact very much before the top heel of the pad, you would be well advised to have the stock cut slightly to correct it.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Yes I am a bit over 6', but not much. The gun has a synthetic stock, so would the solution you mentioned work? What about building the comb up with pads?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Your gunsmith would need to advise you on whether or not cutting the synthetic stock would be advisable.

Raising the comb would raise the level of your eye relative to the rib and cause your gun to shoot much higher if my suspicion on how much the comb would need to allow a natural head and neck posture. My suspicion based on very little, is it would need to be raised a half-inch or more.

You could answer that question by finding how much your gun mount would need to be raised to allow a naturally erect head and neck posture. That additional mount height would equal the additional comb height needed to duplicate the adjustment (down) of a pad adjuster.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:31 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the pointers.

If minor tweeks like shims, a stick-on type cheek pad or different recoil pad won't work, I doubt I'll sink much money into this particular shotgun.