ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Asking to handle five-figure guns
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:13 pm 
Field Grade

A local FFL specializes in high-end shotguns and rifles. The FFL has a shotgun I want to handle and generally become familiar with, a Merkel 203E. I have no intention of buying this gun. There's no way I could afford this gun. I could probably afford a Merkel in a few years if I save up and hold off on other gun purchases. What I basically want to do is go there, handle the gun, and see if I like it enough to start saving up for a Merkel of my own.

My question is, what's the etiquette for doing this? Normally, I have no problem going into a FFL and asking to see a gun I have no intention of buying. This, however, is a $12,500 gun.

I've never seen a Merkel in person before and no one I know shoots a Merkel. Rules out that option. They're not very popular around where I am for target shooters, with Krieghoff being the number one German competition gun. So, seeing one someone would allow me to handle seems highly improbable.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Asking to handle five-figure guns
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Ask them, they may want you to wear some cotton gloves or similar, depending on things, or they might just open it and hand it to you........... I walked into a high-end gun room and they let me walk around, handle what i wanted from their open racks while they left me alone.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

Depends on the salesman. Went into a high end shop and he was handing us $200k plus guns to shoulder. I was really surprised and honestly didn’t handle a few as I didn’t want to be responsible for any blemish.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

tk421991 wrote:
My question is, what's the etiquette for doing this?

Ask.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:45 pm 
Presentation Grade

tk,

Ask the sales men, do not tell him you are not ready to purchase. Most of the high end stores will let you handle their stock, most high end guns are made to order anyway, unless you are talking about a Classic American or Euro gun, that can no longer be ordered. Most times the show rooms are open to the public and the salesmen usually watches over the gun room. Ask the appropriate questions for purchasing and act like you know what you are doing, as you look over the guns. These people are in business to make money selling high end guns, most will accommodate you as you inspect their inventory. Be careful as you inspect their inventory.

Guns like a 16 gauge 1910 Purdey Self Opener, or a 20 gauge 1901 #5 L.C. Smith, and some fine Merkel guns also, are no longer being made, the saleman may pay very close attention as you inspect these kind of high quality guns, do not be insulted when they do. Always ask before you pick a gun from their display. Most times the salesmen will pick the gun off the display rack and hand it to you.

Visiting a high end gun room is an experience every gun owner should have!

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:54 pm 
Utility Grade

Most will allow you to handle as long as your confident and respectful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Forget Merkels. They suck. I know I had one and took a beating getting rid of that POS. For that money get a Perazzi and have it fitted to lil ole you.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.