ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any shotguns or shotgun brands to avoid?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi folks. With 20 years of military service I have some experience with M16s and 38 revolvers, but none at all with a shotgun. With the way things are in the US these days I've decided it's time to get a shotgun for home defense. I want to get a new Mossberg 590 Tactical, but it seems everybody beat me to them. None are in stock anywhere that I can find. I will get one when I can find one, but that might take longer than I'm willing to go without a shotgun.

I'm looking to get an relatively inexpensive, but reliable, 12 gauge pump action to have until I get a Mossberg. I will then keep the interim gun as a backup. Of the many numerous brands of shotguns, are there any that I shouldn't even consider getting due to unreliability problems?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Any shotguns or shotgun brands to avoid?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:36 am 
Field Grade

Most pump shotguns are reliable because of their simplicity. Find one that physically fits you(LOP,etc.) then go for it. Don't get caught up in the "image" game by purchasing what everyone else owns. Do your own thing and you'll be much happier.
Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:40 am 
Field Grade

daustin wrote:
Find one that physically fits you(LOP,etc.)

I don’t think you have to worry about LOP for a home defense shotgun. Get something with a short barrel and pistol grip.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:55 am 
Crown Grade

IMO the only pumps to avoid would be those where parts are no longer readily available. After that it is whatever you can find that fits your needs. A purpose built pump will cost you more than a good solid one like the Remington 870 for which you can find all kinds of parts/modifications to make it a HD shotgun. With over 5 million made, you should be able to find one for a reasonable amount and then get the shorter barrel, stock, forend, rails, etc to transform it into your ideal badass HD shotgun.

You may ultimately even find that you prefer the 870 to your desired Mossberg. Everything said applies to the Mossberg 500 models also.

I suggest watching the auction sites or local pawn shops and stores and see what you find. You might also check the "Tactical" forum on SW to get some ideas. In this way, you also have the fun of creating your own version of the perfect HD shotgun. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:39 am 
Presentation Grade

Avoid "here today, gone tomorrow - who ever heard of them?" brands from Turkey. I would also avoid guns made in China.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Don’t buy any older model 12s, 870s or 37s.

(I don’t need the competition)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:49 am 
Limited Edition

Buy a made in the USA Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 Express. Usually pretty easy to get a 2nd barrel for home defense. Having a longer barrel with choke tubes is more useful at the target range or to hunt. Put the short barrel on the gun for home defense.

Remington and Mossberg used to offer combo guns that came with 2 barrels. A bird barrel and a slug barrel. You may not want a fully rifled barrel if you plan to shoot buck shot for home defense. I really like the short Remington slug barrels that are smooth bore with choke tubes.

Some of the compact or youth model guns come with short vent rib choke tube barrels that would work for home defense. You can buy a full size adult stock or a pistol grip to fit these. Or put a slip on recoil pad on the youth stock to add length to the stock. Buying a different stock maybe cheaper than buying a different barrel.

One other option would be to look at the short barrel deer or turkey guns they offer. Barrels are probably 21-24" range, smooth bore on the turkey guns with choke tubes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:24 am 
Crown Grade

noweil wrote:
Buy a made in the USA Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 Express. Usually pretty easy to get a 2nd barrel for home defense. Having a longer barrel with choke tubes is more useful at the target range or to hunt. Put the short barrel on the gun for home defense.

Remington and Mossberg used to offer combo guns that came with 2 barrels. A bird barrel and a slug barrel. You may not want a fully rifled barrel if you plan to shoot buck shot for home defense. I really like the short Remington slug barrels that are smooth bore with choke tubes.

Some of the compact or youth model guns come with short vent rib choke tube barrels that would work for home defense. You can buy a full size adult stock or a pistol grip to fit these. Or put a slip on recoil pad on the youth stock to add length to the stock. Buying a different stock maybe cheaper than buying a different barrel.

One other option would be to look at the short barrel deer or turkey guns they offer. Barrels are probably 21-24" range, smooth bore on the turkey guns with choke tubes.

X2. For this purpose? Can`t go wrong with either IMO.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:50 am 
Utility Grade

A lot of good advice here from everyone, and plenty to think about. I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:26 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

luckyhenry wrote:
Hi folks. With 20 years of military service I have some experience with M16s and 38 revolvers, but none at all with a shotgun. With the way things are in the US these days I've decided it's time to get a shotgun for home defense. I want to get a new Mossberg 590 Tactical, but it seems everybody beat me to them. None are in stock anywhere that I can find. I will get one when I can find one, but that might take longer than I'm willing to go without a shotgun.

I'm looking to get an relatively inexpensive, but reliable, 12 gauge pump action to have until I get a Mossberg. I will then keep the interim gun as a backup. Of the many numerous brands of shotguns, are there any that I shouldn't even consider getting due to unreliability problems?

Thanks in advance.

Since you're committed to buying a Mossberg, why not buy a Mossberg? There are boatloads of older Mossbergs on the used market. Sometimes you see these as Western Fields or Revelations, but they are Mossbergs that were sold by retailers. These guns will function just like the tactical model you desire so you'll be developing muscle memory and getting used to the way your dream gun will run. You might also look at Mavericks, as they are just a budget Mossberg.

You should be able to find a used Mossberg pump for less than $200. Can't get much cheaper than that. BTW, if you find one with a longer barrel, you can have it cut down or simply buy a replacement barrel for about $100.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:59 am 
Tournament Grade

Luckyhenry,
I think you would be very well served with a Remington 870 12 gauge for home protection purposes.
We (U.S. Military) have used the Remington 870 for many years, and to the best of my knowledge we still use them, also many Law Enforcement agencies have used them over the years, and they are definitely PROVEN TO BE DEPENDABLE.
Yes, I own 2 of them (one next to my bed, and the other in my home office), just in case there are more than one home invader that arrives with BAD INTENIONS.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:34 pm 
Utility Grade

In case anyone is interested, I decided to get a new Mossberg 835. Thanks again for all the advice and info.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:02 am 
Field Grade

They're fun range guns, but I'd avoid bird's head shotguns for home defense--i.e. Mossberg Shockwave, Remington V3-Tac 13, or Remington Tac-14